• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New article Design and Development Article on Magic Item Slots

Corinth

First Post
Set sail for Fail.

There is no such thing as "optional" when it comes to personal power. Those that strive to maximize their character's personal power will be the norm, the standard against which all others compare, and that means that players that fail to fill their character's slots with all of these items--and, at that, the best attainable--shall be penalized for failing to meet this de facto standard of performance.

So no, those slots will be filled as soon as possible. Especially so if PCs can still make items, or acquire them through commerce and trade, and attempts to curb this will be punished.

Mirtek said:
New game: Guess how many splatbooks it takes until the "fun items" become so powerfull that they are in fact mandatory :D

OOOOH! ME! ME! <waves hand in the air madly>

I'm going to go with as soon as the Magic Item Compendium comes out in September! Now, that won't make every slot mandatory for every character class/build, I guarantee you it will feature a few items that make it so a character with X item in Y slot is really hugely better than one with supposedly equally suitable item Z, or will allow a build that relies utterly on said item.

Then it'll just be a matter of time. Whether it's MIC2, MIC3, or MIC4 before we see all the "fun" slots having items that'll make people freak I dunno.

I'm not saying it'll wreck the game, but I'm going to get tired of hearing how "A bow Ranger is worthless unless they have, A, B, C and D items!".

The real question, though is, how long before WotC starts designing it's monsters/adventures around the assumption that all your characters have all 9 slots filled with the "right" items? Alternately, will the likely ridiculously OP nature of certain "fun" items make a mockery of whatever system 4E uses for judging encounter difficulty?

I'm really hoping the answers are never and no, but I'm not very optimistic in this particular regard.

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Someone has probably already said this, but I thought I'd say it anyway, just in case. Unless they completely eliminated +x items of all kinds, they need to account for it in the math behind the game. As long as there are +x items in the game, they can say that they're not necessary all that they want - players will still make a b-line for them because they make their characters more effective. Simple as that. If they design the system without taking into account their +x items, almost every character will be overpowered (even if only slightly) compared to the monsters they are expected to fight. On the other hand, if they have them, design the system to account for them, but still say that they aren't essential, characters who believe that will be underpowered (again, even if only slightly). Also, if you want more powerful character to wield/have access to more powerful items (+2 for 9th level, +4 for 18th, etc...) the gap between magic-ed up characters and those without becomes greater. +2 isn't that big a deal - 10% difference. However, while a +4 bonus might only be 10% of the 18th level characters total bonus, it equates to a 20% difference on the d20.

In effect, I'm saying that as long as there are +x items of any kind, you will need them to compete - if not with the monsters, then with the other players in your party.

That said, I also believe that +x swords and such are a definite D&Dism, and I don't want them to go away, so I see this as a solution which is as ideal as can be expected.

Again, forgive me if all of this has been said already - I had 20 minutes to read 11 pages of posts, so I skipped a few ;-)

~LS

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Wulf Ratbane said:
That depends on whether Item Creation ever exists again or not.

This is the really interesting question to me. 1E and 2E had such hit-or-miss item creations systems (where they existed at all) that this one thing being added to 3E was the single biggest flavor change from my perspective.

I suspect that item creation will be in 4E, but it may well be a paragon/epic thing. Heroic may be limited to potions and such.

Peter LaCara

Explorer
Bishmon said:
It's typically a bad idea to come at someone when you don't understand what they're saying. Politely asking for clarification would have been a good idea, and it would have made you look so much better.

Ah. Passive-aggressive condescension. I must be on ENWorld.

To clarify, I think there's a huge gap between 'current D&D' and what I think of as 'low-magic D&D'. I want to be somewhere in the middle. I want magic to be a real, known, utilized aspect of the world, but I don't want it so common that every hero is weighed down with 10 magic items.

As I've already mentioned, it creates encounter balance problems. If encounters are balanced with characters wearing a half-dozen secondary items, a character that only has one secondary item is going to be behind the curve. Maybe not in terms of attack/damage/AC/saves (or maybe he will, if he's missing out on a temporary buffing item), but he could certainly be missing out on movement modes, attack options, defensive options, etc., situational things that could make all the difference depending on the specifics of the encounter. I've already mentioned the obvious power differences between a fighter with a carpet of flying and a fighter without a carpet of flying depending on the specific encounter.

Well, yeah, but what's the alternative? Not having carpets of flying in the game at all? I'm fairly certain that's not the right direction. And I think you're overinflating the problem. Of course higher level games are going to assume that you have access to certain movement types and protections, but the game won't care where those come from, since I imagine spells will be able to provide things like flight as well. Not every movement type or protectoin is going to be assumed for every encounter, so you'll be fine in the encounters that don't need them, and then you get creative in the encounters that do.

And furthermore it only solves my problem if I give out so few secondary items that they're nearly non-existent because otherwise characters will still fill all their slots eventually. I don't want to run a game where a 20th level character is relieved to find slippers of spider climbing. But I don't want to have that 20th level character wearing 10 magic items, either. I imagine there's gotta be a functional middle ground in there somewhere.

But you don't give out the slippers of climbing at 20th level. You give them out at 8th level, and then they become part of a PC's schtick. That character is still wearing the same boots at 20th level, and is pretty freaking stoked because he found Bracers of Perfect Awesomeness at 20th level because it's the first arm item he's come across that really fits him.

Seriously, why are you coming at me with this tone? It's absurdly disrespectful and completely unwarranted.

Eh. It's partly to do with your post being the straw that broke the camel's back, and partly because it was 4am and I had just watched the Fox News attack on Mass Effect, so I was pretty irritated already. And honestly, that wasn't all that disrespectful as far as things go. If you want to see REAL snark, you should come to RPGnet sometime.

And yes, there is something Wizards could have done. It's something I thought they were going to do based on their comments about 4E. As I've already mentioned, I would have liked to have seen them limit the number of secondary accessory slots. Maybe three accessory slots. Characters would have the expected magic implement/armor/neck stuff that factors into the attack/damage/AC/saves math, and they'd be able to equip up to three other accessories that could do any of the wide range of secondary things 4E accessories look like they're going to do.

That's the middle ground I was hoping for, and the middle ground I was expecting with their 'Christmas shrub' comments.

Fair enough. I can see where you're coming from there, even though I would have rather disliked that option. I'd hate to see a character give up a favorite item because he just picked up his fourth accessory and had to choose between them.

And hey, at least every item a character has will be interesting now. Stuff like Shadowfell Gloves sound much more interesting than Gloves of Dexterity +4. And while I don't advocate getting rid of +1 swords and armor, at least it sounds like the vast majority of the items you find will have other extra stuff on it. I mean, just reading the item names makes me stoked for all the cool stuff my players will find.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Corinth said:
There is no such thing as "optional" when it comes to personal power. Those that strive to maximize their character's personal power will be the norm, the standard against which all others compare, and that means that players that fail to fill their character's slots with all of these items--and, at that, the best attainable--shall be penalized for failing to meet this de facto standard of performance.

Bingo!

Kid Charlemagne said:
This is the really interesting question to me. 1E and 2E had such hit-or-miss item creations systems (where they existed at all) that this one thing being added to 3E was the single biggest flavor change from my perspective.

I suspect that item creation will be in 4E, but it may well be a paragon/epic thing. Heroic may be limited to potions and such.
Wasn't there an article or a blog post explaining that item creation will be done via Rituals? So items can at least be created by player characters. Whether they can be designed by them remains to be seen. An interesting question is how the magical item levels can be used as guidelines for special effects.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Corinth said:
Set sail for Fail.

So no, those slots will be filled as soon as possible. Especially so if PCs can still make items, or acquire them through commerce and trade, and attempts to curb this will be punished.

I don't think the term "optional" is pointed at the Players. Of course any sane player wants more stuff. The optional nature of those slots is pointed at the DM. As DM if you do not hand out the "mandatory" slot items you will have to adjust encounter difficulty. But, if you do not hand out "optional" slot items you should be able to continue to challenge the characters under the same base assumptions the game was designed. At least that's what I got from the article, YMMV.

Corinth

First Post
Vyvyan Basterd said:
I don't think the term "optional" is pointed at the Players. Of course any sane player wants more stuff. The optional nature of those slots is pointed at the DM. As DM if you do not hand out the "mandatory" slot items you will have to adjust encounter difficulty. But, if you do not hand out "optional" slot items you should be able to continue to challenge the characters under the same base assumptions the game was designed. At least that's what I got from the article, YMMV.
This will work if, and only if, players can't acquire items through crafting or trade. If they can get their gear independent of what the GM provides, then it's out of his hands and he will have to deal with properly-geared PCs.

Voss

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
That depends on whether Item Creation ever exists again or not.

If Item Creation exists, the answer is "zero." There will be optimal builds available from the DMG alone; you won't need splatbooks; and you'll see players designing such builds from Day 1.

Last time it was mentioned, it did. 'Item Creation Rituals' or some such thing. Sadly there hasn't been a good explanation of what rituals are or what they do at this point.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads