New At-Will Power for Wizards - Staff Strike

Cadfan

First Post
Intelligence v ac is fine. Its got the staff proficiency bonus, so its going to be attacking at +6 v ac. That's the same as an 18 strength non-fighter character wielding an axe. Say, a paladin or a warlord.

Mengu

First Post
Am I the only one who thinks this should be a Swordmage power, or an arcane melee striker power? It doesn't feel very wizardy. I think in general this sort of design is more appropriate for a striker or pseudo striker/defender.

FireLance

Legend
Am I the only one who thinks this should be a Swordmage power, or an arcane melee striker power? It doesn't feel very wizardy. I think in general this sort of design is more appropriate for a striker or pseudo striker/defender.
Pushing seems pretty controller-y to me, and it calls to mind the Gandalf vs. Saruman fight in the LotR movie.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
If it targeted AC, then... it would be good, but probably within the reasonable bounds of balance. It would be properly compared to druid powers that deal 1d8 damage and shift the target 1, and are usable on an OA. Shift is better than push, but push 2 is really nice. I lean towards thinking that push 2 is better than shift 1, because you can often shift into the optimum position to push in the direction of your choice, but I can see someone else disagreeing.

You mean slide, as shift is for allies :)

I would think it would be fine as-is but only pushing 1 rather than pushing an amount based on Wis (wizard bonus effects based on Wis are rare anyway - two at wills and one other power are the only things they get with a secondary ability benefit.

CapnZapp

Legend
I think this is problematic in an at will power that takes the wizard in a different direction from his regular abilities.

I think a better idea might be turning this into an encounter power.
Thanks for expressing my thoughts precisely and clearly! :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I think some of you may be forgetting that the class roles are not intended to be straightjackets which define the only thing they can do.

The idea of the class roles is that they will always be able to fulfil their role, no matter what other direction you take the class in.

i.e. class roles indicate what they can always do on top of anything else - not what they are limited to doing.

Cheers

Remove ads