• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Avatar tonight

bento

Explorer
Zuko's choice at the end, that's what makes this much more than a kids show. :confused:

DIdn't want to post until I saw the other episode that came before it. Now that I'm all caught up on the story, it certainly gives you something to think about.

I thought Aang's quick tutorial on chakras went too easily. Most people struggle for years to open them up, but he IS the avatar right? One little item that made me cringe was after going back to save Katara, he easily lied to Sokka that he completed his mission to the Eastern temple. Ouch.

The ending should give the next season even more of an on-edge feel. Where can they go to next - back to the South Pole?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Bento,

I'm more interested if the Avatar Spirit/State is still viable or not. Cause without it, I think Aang and the gang are screwed. Location doesn't much matter so much as Aang's ability and what do about the Fire Nation.

Zuko's betrayal...wow. That was just unreal. I just can't believe he chose to side with Azula. I can understand why...sort of. But the fact is, if it had been me, I'd spit in Azula's face, gotten myself a real army and invaded the Fire Nation, THEN ruled with an iron fist. Dad and sister are just too crazy to be in charge.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Just incredible, just insanely incredible.

The level of personal drama that went on.

I have to watch it again, just for the stuff to sink in.

I'll admit I was a bit surprised and disappointed in Zuko's decision at the end, especially afted he'd made so much progress throughout the season. But Azula dangled just the right bait in front of him, kind of like dangling a bottle of quality scotch in front of a recovering alcholic. Now I'm not sure if Zuko is going to "redeemed" as one of the good guys at the series' end. But if he was waiting for the opportune moment to make the right decision, he missed it by a country mile. I still think he's the most psychologically complex/interesting character in the series.

I loved Iroh's prelude about his being called Dragon of the West. And it shows just how good-natured he is that he was willing to give Aang advice, even though previous circumstances had them on opposite sides. Aang could do a lot worse than to have Iroh as his fire-bending teacher.

The Guru/Chakra scenes were neat. It might also have been the fact that that particularly episode only had 30 minutes to deal with a whole lot of things in addition to Aang's meditations that cueball seemed to 'unblock his chakras' so quickly. But then again, he is the Avatar, and has shown to be fairly spiritual (just not as informed about the spirit realm as he should be). As for his lie to Sokka, it wouldn't be the first time that he's glossed over the truth. And he did know what steps needed to be taken to unlock the Avatar State; he just hadn't taken them yet, so what Aang said was true, from a certain point of view ;)

Of course, now the question is "did Aang actually die while in the Avatar State?" He could have just been gravely wounded, and were it not for Katara and the Spirit Oasis water would have died. But there's also the bit that his arrow glowed briefly as he "came back." From a writer's perspective, I kind of hope Aang's ability to access the Avatar State is damaged, since being able to draw on that kind of power at-will makes it really hard to challenge the group. Kind of like having Hercules tagging along with a group of low-level heroes to raid an orc warren.

I'm wasn't too surprised that Toph is apparently the first earthbender to bend metal, since as the Guru explained metal is still tied to the element of earth, and Toph seems to be the top earthbender in the series.

Azula as an evil, manipulative little witch? Check, especially with her speech to the Dai Li and her ending words to Zuko. Ty Lee being ditzy with funny/weird/vapid lines? Check.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Watching again, today. :D

UPDATE: After viewing, without commericals. This piece was well done, as a major shakeup point. I am totally floored at the pace and depth, on how it was done. A true masterpiece of the unexpected moments.

A sidenote:I have just learned, that the voice of Uncle Iroh, formerly done by Mako, will be giving to another, no names have been offered as of yet.
Nightfall said:
Truth,

Agreed. That was just so much to see and it was truly...remarkable.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Truth,

Well it's not like they can bring back Mako. I think it's a wise choice that they get someone else after all. Avatar is a great series.

Don,

My hatred of Azula remains as hot as ever. My respect for her abilities however have gone up some with her coup of Ba Sing Sae. That was a pretty masterful stroke on her part.

Nightfall said:
Don,

My hatred of Azula remains as hot as ever. My respect for her abilities however have gone up some with her coup of Ba Sing Sae. That was a pretty masterful stroke on her part.
I've seen on the AvatarSpirit.net message boards discussions regarding Azula's value as a villain; one-dimensional or fleshed-out? I'd say the finale paints her as pretty well fleshed-out; she had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and she certainly made the most out of it, even going so far as to turn the Dai Le against their founder/leader without throwing a single fire blast. As much as everyone raves about Mako's voice work for Iroh, I loved Grey Delisle's work for Azula. Terrifying, yet inspiring at the same time :) Be a heck of a femme fatale if the character wasn't underage.

Season 2 has proven to Avatar's "Empire Strikes Back."

Now just to hope that Sokka and Katara don't fight alongside a horde of fuzzy midgets at the end of Season 3. Though I am still hoping for an eventual redemption of Zuko (let's just hope he doesn't have to pay the final price that Anakin paid).

bento

Explorer
Donovan Morningfire said:
Season 2 has proven to Avatar's "Empire Strikes Back."
Bingo - my kids and I were comparing the two the day after.

Donovan Morningfire said:
Though I am still hoping for an eventual redemption of Zuko (let's just hope he doesn't have to pay the final price that Anakin paid).
Nope - I think he has to go through the ultimate sacrifice. Even if he was to continue on, he's proven to be too fragile to be reliable. If he was ever to grow a backbone and begin fighting the good fight, this was it. From here on out he'll not only be a target for Aang & Co., but also Azula as she snipes at his back to further her own gains.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads