• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Backgrounds/Specialities

the Jester

Legend
I've already started mulling over culture-specific ones for my campaign.

Peshan- oriented towards mercantilism and trading.
Forinthian- oriented towards faith and imperialism

And so on. But I haven't gotten any further than realizing what a perfect spot backgrounds fill for that kind of thing.

Baileyborough

First Post
I agree - I think the Hunter/Woodsman backgrounds are spot on. I've been thinking about this today, and had a look at some of the 4e backgrounds (Which are pretty barebones) for some inspiration. I think the skills aspect is pretty easy to nail down most of the time. And the starting equipment is the same (although does anyone know if the starting equipment is the same cost as the 150gp you'd normally start with? Should it be? Should the Noble start with more, the commoner with less?)
Some of the backgrounds I thought might have interesting traits are:

Criminal: Maybe you are know where to go if you need something fenced, or can get information easily from other ex-cons. One of the starting equipment could be a brand of some sort?

Entertainer: You can usually get food and lodging in Inns as long as you are willing to play/perform?

Merchant: Someone mentioned this already - but again, knowing where to go to get good deals, perhaps having connections in the merchant's guild.

Sailor: You can usually gain passage on vessels in exchange for working there. You have some connections on "the docks" that might have information from specific trading ports.

These are just throwing around ideas, interested to see what others would think.

A lot of the other backgrounds (I used the 4e name generator as my source - no longer have the DDI sub for the char builder, and couldn't find a proper list) didn't seem to feel like DDN backgrounds, or else would have come under some of the current ones.

The other 3 types of backgrounds they had were Society (Commoner, Wealthy, Noble - Apart from the Wealthy background, these are covered, and I'm not sure how badly we need that middle one), Geography (Badlands, Mountain, Desert, Swamp, etc. These have interesting story hooks, but I don't know how well they fit the DDN background feel - they don't tell you what you WERE before saying "sod it" and cracking on), and Birth (Omen, Cursed, Blessed - I think there MIGHT be potential here, but again, they don't really explain who you were, just one very specific aspect.)

Anyone else got opinions?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
The other 3 types of backgrounds they had were Society (Commoner, Wealthy, Noble - Apart from the Wealthy background, these are covered, and I'm not sure how badly we need that middle one)
The commoner in the packet is a landowner and tradesman, which I would consider "wealthy" for a medieval setting. I think the social ladder should be more like:

Slave/serf
Destitute
Laborer (miner, builder, etc.)
Tradesman (farmer, fisher, merchant, etc.)
Artisan (smith, jeweler, architect, etc.)
Noble/aristocracy
Royal (probably not for PCs)

triqui

Adventurer
I'd like to see a bit of a changed survivor specialty. I particularly love the diehard feats, because I think that they are thematically cool. I'd love to see a specialty that is built around or includes those feats and I think that survivor is the perfect one to include it. If the diehard feats were in another specialty I would be just as pleased, but I would think that the two specialties would begin stepping on each others toes..
Really? Everybody in my group hate those feats and I always thought it was a common issue across all tables.

gyor

Legend
Cultist: Bluff, Religious Lore, Forbidden Lore

Trait: Cult Member- You are a member of a cult and have access both to inniates and beings of unspeakable knowledge.

Cannibal: Profession: Cooking, intimiadate, stealth.

Trait: Iron stomach, as long as thier are dead enemies around you never have to,worry about eatting.

Seducer: Bluff, Diplomacy, Street Smarts

Trait: You have a circle of admirers who are always happy to help.

Formerly Dead: You died when younger, but you got resurrected and its effected you ever since. Religionous Lore, Undead Lore, Planar Lore. Trait-Death's secrets, while dead you made a few friends in the after life who will give you lodging and info when you are on that plane.

Escaped Asylum Patient: You've seen things, impossible things, they think your mad, the fools. Forbidden Lore, Stealth, Find Traps and Open Locks. Trait- You fit right in with Derro and other mad creatures and of course the Asylum is always more then happy to provide food and Lodgings...

Court Jester: Bluff, Artisan, Acrobatics.
Traits- You always get lodgings with your employer, noblity is far more tolerant of your mockery, within limits.

Specialties

Possessed, level 1 feat Possessed: you always have advantage against charm or dominate effects, Level 2: You gain an imp or Quasit familiar.

Ellington

First Post
I think a Traveller/Wanderer background would be awesome. Nothing like a good old mysterious stranger!

Insight, Societal Lore and Survival sound about right. The trait could have something to do with finding your way around when travelling or being able to get between places faster.

The most important speciality we need right now is something for people that want to improve their two handed weapon prowess.

Wow, lots of great stuff to comment on!

I've already started mulling over culture-specific ones for my campaign.

Peshan- oriented towards mercantilism and trading.
Forinthian- oriented towards faith and imperialism

Only trouble is, that leaves you with no way to distinguish between a Forinthian blacksmith and a Forinthian noble.

But I think I see a solution. Let people choose a 'professional' background and a 'cultural' background. But they don't get all the skills, they have to choose three off the two lists. They could get both traits if you're feeling nice.

baileyborough said:
Geography (Badlands, Mountain, Desert, Swamp, etc. These have interesting story hooks, but I don't know how well they fit the DDN background feel - they don't tell you what you WERE before saying "sod it" and cracking on)

Well, once they add a few athletic skills, it would be obvious enough that Mountain could give you Climb and so on. Desert would *not* get Swim. :)

GX.Sigma: I would argue that a slave, at least of the chattel variety, is much worse off than a serf.

gyor said:
Cultist: Bluff, Religious Lore, Forbidden Lore

Trait: Cult Member- You are a member of a cult and have access both to inniates and beings of unspeakable knowledge.

Yikes. I like it! Though the trait is a little vague, what would that amount to? Other than an easy excuse to become a warlock!

The cannibal is clever, but way too gross. :)

The Formerly Dead one is very interesting, but the trait is a little rarefied - if the party doesn't go to that plane, you never get to use it.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am strongly against "cultural" backgrounds being in the printed books. I think the books should strictly stick with backgrounds that represent roles or even profession in society.

Some possible backgrounds I would like to see addressed:

- Herbalist: unfortunately we already have a feat for this, but I would like also a background to represent someone who either works as a herbalist/apothecary in a village, city or monastery, or otherwise someone who is simply experienced on such practice (could be a loner living in a cabin in the forest, or the old grandma who knows all about herbs and concoctions). It should be not limited to healing.

- Arcane Scholar: representing e.g. someone who was adopted by a mage-tutor, or lived in a magic academy since childhood or join such academy as an adult student and later teacher.

- Artist: anyone who makes a living as a performer, individually or as part of a troupe, travelling or stable.

- Monk/Friar: living in a monastery (cloistered or open) as part of the religious staff

- Templar: dedicated to the defense of a monastery, church, or other holy location (inhabited or not) but not necessarily part of the religious staff

- Bureaucrat: public service staff, presumably only in very large cities and societies which are developed enough; may include simple clerks but also judges, lawyers and administrators

- Mortician: employed in funerary practices, balming procedures, janitor of graveyards, and possibly even forensic science

I also would like something to cover for explorers, sailors, and caravan-travellers like someone already mentioned.

Bow_Seat

First Post
Really? Everybody in my group hate those feats and I always thought it was a common issue across all tables.

It doesn't work too well mechanically, but I've always been inspired by valiant last stands. I've been trying to emulate Borimir's last fight since I was a little kid, somehow the regular HP values never cut it for me.

triqui

Adventurer
It doesn't work too well mechanically, but I've always been inspired by valiant last stands. I've been trying to emulate Borimir's last fight since I was a little kid, somehow the regular HP values never cut it for me.
Valiant last stands work better increasing AC (like the Dwarven Defender). Boromir died, actually :p. If you use the film as a visual reference, he dies almost as soon as he is hit. He lasted a lot, in the meanwhile, because the orcs weren't able to hit him

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads