New Brandon Sanderson Kickstarter makes million dollar campaigns look tiny

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
As in D&D Fantasy fiction. I'm not a writer so I don't know much about writing. But I know beyond Harry Potter, GoT, LOTR and a dozen more, its incredibly hard to find fantasy books I can read as an older adult. I tried to read Forgotten Realms books (I loved Drizzt 30 years ago), but as much as I love Ed Greenwood, I just can't sit through it. I guess you have to be a bored teenager to do it.

I would not put it that drastically, but yeah, 20 or 30 or 40 years ago, I read tons of fantasy and sci-fi, but nowadays nothing newer really catches with me, no matter how good other people say it is. And yeah, some of the stuff I loved in the 80's and 90's just does not click any more either.

I recently read "A Wizard of Earthsea" again and I was surprised, it was just as good as when I was a kid. Though its not a long book.
LeGuin is excellent. Peter Beagle's Last Unicorn and The Innkeeper's Song are lovely. A modern/current author I highly recommend is N.K. Jemisin. For now-passed writers, Jack Vance and the ever-subtle Gene Wolfe. Thankfully there are more excellent writers out there besides Tolkien and GRRM. (Some of them better than GRRM). Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Mouser stories and Howard's original Conan stories are also remarkably good, if you want D&D-style adventure fiction.

Last edited:

Remove ads