• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Campaign Idea

thismric

First Post
heyy everyone,

i was just wondering if you guys thought this would be cool:

the world is cast into a deep darkness. Within this deep darkness are the creatures of true nightmare. These monsters are feared by both angels and demons. Their only weakness is Light. As long as someone or something is holding or carrying Light, they will be able to travel safely. When the light goes out though, the creatures are able to attack the person or creature who previously had the light. The creatures are still capable of being killed. Many civilized creatures have special night-vision goggles that they wear. With these goggles, they are able to see the creatures. Wars are being constantly waged against the creatures but they seem to be futile.

in a nutshell:

world is covered in darkness, light is good darkness is bad.
also the technology would be medival like but goggles were made for living purposes.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Ed_Laprade said:
No sunlight = no food. You all die. End Game, would you care to try again? ;)
Apparently you've never read the Spelljammer boxed set. Its a fine concept and from what I remember, extinguishing the sun has been a long time goal of the Mind Flayers.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I think that's cool.

You can deal with the food thing by having some underdark druids (those smurfy gnomes) come up to the surface with moss & fungus.

GreatLemur

Explorer
thismric said:
light is good darkness is bad.
If you want an interesting setting, try reversing that.

The world plunged into darkness has some possibilities--especially if you work out all of the larger effects of the change beyond just providing cover--but it doesn't sound like you've got anything much going on with the monsters. Avoiding light, being really badass, and killing people for (apparently) no reason doesn't really add up to anything special. So you've definitely got to flesh them out and hopefully find some kind of twist.

Kinda dig the visual of a fantasy setting where people wear alchemically-made nightvision goggles. Alchemical light sources would probably make a lot more sense, since they're actually a defense against the creatures, though. I guess you could have both, though: the light sources could burn out quickly, and possibly serve as a signal flare to the creatures, so that using them would be a tactical gamble.

thismric

First Post
GreatLemur said:
If you want an interesting setting, try reversing that.

The world plunged into darkness has some possibilities--especially if you work out all of the larger effects of the change beyond just providing cover--but it doesn't sound like you've got anything much going on with the monsters. Avoiding light, being really badass, and killing people for (apparently) no reason doesn't really add up to anything special. So you've definitely got to flesh them out and hopefully find some kind of twist.

Kinda dig the visual of a fantasy setting where people wear alchemically-made nightvision goggles. Alchemical light sources would probably make a lot more sense, since they're actually a defense against the creatures, though. I guess you could have both, though: the light sources could burn out quickly, and possibly serve as a signal flare to the creatures, so that using them would be a tactical gamble.

heyy glad to see u like the idea. i dont get what u mean by alchemical light sources. do you mean the googles are lighted or a object that lights up.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
thismric said:
heyy everyone,

i was just wondering if you guys thought this would be cool:

the world is cast into a deep darkness. Within this deep darkness are the creatures of true nightmare. These monsters are feared by both angels and demons. Their only weakness is Light. As long as someone or something is holding or carrying Light, they will be able to travel safely. When the light goes out though, the creatures are able to attack the person or creature who previously had the light. The creatures are still capable of being killed. Many civilized creatures have special night-vision goggles that they wear. With these goggles, they are able to see the creatures. Wars are being constantly waged against the creatures but they seem to be futile.

in a nutshell:

world is covered in darkness, light is good darkness is bad.
also the technology would be medival like but goggles were made for living purposes.
Watched Pitch Black recently eh.

Actually the idea could be very cool. Several possibilities for play including the Nightfall campaign as the sun is extinguished and the obscene horde descends from beyond the sky.

GreatLemur

Explorer
thismric said:
heyy glad to see u like the idea. i dont get what u mean by alchemical light sources. do you mean the googles are lighted or a object that lights up.
I'm thinking about something like the fantasy equivalent of a flare or light stick.

Remove ads