• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Campiagn - Need Build Ideas

Jcosby

First Post
Hello Everyone, I'm usually the GM most of the time but I'm actually going to play in a new campaign and I want to play a Scout/Rogue/Fighter type of character.

Main things I want in this character are the ability to handle traps (Rogue Skills) and the ability to defend myself (Fighting). I've looked at Skirmish, Scout, old fashion Ftr/Rogue. Mostly fighting with some rogue ability.. and nothing really caugh my eye. I'm not the best character builder so I thought I would ask for some expert help.

Campaign is generic D&D, Level 1, (No Evil Alignments), based in a heavy Dwarven/Human area. (Other races are ok, but I would like to be a Human or Dwarf if I can.) I believe a lot of this campaign is going to be under ground. (Reclaiming a dwarven stronghold.. ala Mithril Hall)

Books I'm allowed are.. Complete Series, Races Series (Not Dragon), PHB, PHBII, DMG, DMGII, Dungeonscape and Spell & Magic Item Compendiums.

Starting Level 1, 250gp, and 28pt build.

Oh party has a Kobold Sorc, Human Paladin, Dwarf Cleric, TWF Ranger(Human I think), one other and Me.

Well, thanks for any help.

JB ;)

Kwitchit

First Post
I like the Scout. Make sure you look at the errata, though- the Scout should have Disable Device on the class skill list, which makes it a much better Rogue. And for God's sake, don't play a Dwarf Scout!

If you want a fighty Scout, the Swift Hunter/Greater Manyshot build is IMO the way to go. Basically, take Swift Hunter (which means that Ranger levels advance Skirmish and Scout levels advance Favored Enemy). Mix levels of Scout and archery-focused Ranger to taste, trying to get Greater Manyshot as early as possible while gaining iterative attacks and whatever Scout features you want. Shot On The Run also helps- you can run out of cover, fire off a hail of arrows, then run back into cover.

The end result is a credible trapfinder and very good mobile archer (which your party is missing). Some DM-wrangling may be required, for 2 reasons:
Greater Manyshot is in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, which isn't on your list of allowed books. It has nothing to do with psionics, and I have no idea why they put it in there.
There is argument over how Manyshot and Shot on the Run interact- some people say that Manyshot isn't "the attack action", so can't be used with Shot on the Run.

Darklone

There is argument over how Manyshot and Shot on the Run interact- some people say that Manyshot isn't "the attack action", so can't be used with Shot on the Run.
Not some people say... it's quite clear. Shot on the Run is a standard action, Manyshot (and Gr Manyshot) is a standard action too. So no, you can't combine them.

The swift hunter scout/ranger is a strong archer build... if you prefer melee, try the swashbuckler/rogue with the Daring Outlaw feat (CSc). Go TWF and head for Dual Strike, it's the melee Manyshot feat. This build manages ridiculous sneak attack damage.

Interesting might be a swordsage/scout. Start with 4 levels scout, put in one or two levels swordsage, advance scout and go for more swordsage. Skirmish enhances many swordsage maneuvers nicely.

Jcosby

First Post
Melee/Rogue

Well, I finally decided what I was going to make...

In the end I went with the Rogue/Swash combo using Daring Outlaw, and Swaped out Trapsense for Penatrating Strike. Also, going with the TWF line, Imp Crit and throwing in Iron Will to beef up my sorry Will save.

At first level I took Able Learner which fixes all my skill issues since Swash doesn't get all the rogue skills. I went Human insted of Dwarf mostly cause I wanted Able Learner so I could be well rounded skill wise.

Thanks to everything that sent me ideas.

PS: In the end I'm going to be 4 Rogue/ 16 Swash

Thanks
JC

rgard

Adventurer
Well, I finally decided what I was going to make...

In the end I went with the Rogue/Swash combo using Daring Outlaw, and Swaped out Trapsense for Penatrating Strike. Also, going with the TWF line, Imp Crit and throwing in Iron Will to beef up my sorry Will save.

At first level I took Able Learner which fixes all my skill issues since Swash doesn't get all the rogue skills. I went Human insted of Dwarf mostly cause I wanted Able Learner so I could be well rounded skill wise.

Thanks to everything that sent me ideas.

PS: In the end I'm going to be 4 Rogue/ 16 Swash

Thanks
JC

Hi JC,

One more option to consider. Your build isn't huge on sneak attack (2d6 at 4th level). You may want to drop sneak attack and use the Martial Rogue variant from Unearthed Arcana. You'll get 3 fighter bonus feats in lieu of the 2d6 sneak attack.

Variant Character Classes :: d20srd.org

EDIT: Just re-read your note and Unearthed Arcana isn't on the list of allowed books. So maybe this won't work. That said if the DM is cool with the entire complete series, I wouldn't think there would be a problem with UA.

EDIT No. 2: Just re-read Daring Outlaw and see that your SA uses your rogue and swashbuckler levels. Well, never mind to all the above.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:

Remove ads