New Captain America will be black

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, they are keeping Steve Rogers as a kind of a mentor for Falcon while Falcon plays the role of Captain America. I think it will be an interesting take on the character. It's not your regular Captain America, but that's why it'll be interesting.

And, if they stay true to form, the switch will last a while, but they'll eventually have Rogers suit up again. Same for the Thor switch. All things are temporary in comics.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I was thinking that would be more like the Tony Stark/James Rhodes story arc.

Similar, I expect. The major difference will be that they are unlikely to have Sam step down because being Captain America is bad or too hard for him. I suspect there will be some circumstance where Sam is out of action or the picture, and Steve will be forced to do something risky to regain the super soldier serum in his system, and take up the mantle again. Sam will then step down out of respect to his long-time friend.

I mean, really, this is Steve Rogers we are talking about. One busload of kids in danger, and he's not going to be able to stand by and let them be killed... :)

Similar, I expect. The major difference will be that they are unlikely to have Sam step down because being Captain America is bad or too hard for him. I suspect there will be some circumstance where Sam is out of action or the picture, and Steve will be forced to do something risky to regain the super soldier serum in his system, and take up the mantle again. Sam will then step down out of respect to his long-time friend.
Yeah, pretty much, except I wonder how they would give him his steroid serum again, seeing as the guy that made it died and no one knows how to make it. I'm guessing they will come up with some other way of him getting his powers back. In any case, I'm hoping this isn't some quick turn-around type thing. I'd like to see the Falcon character have enough time to develop into his own Captain America.

I mean, really, this is Steve Rogers we are talking about. One busload of kids in danger, and he's not going to be able to stand by and let them be killed... :)
I'm betting they will have at least one situation where Rogers will come up on such a situation and not be able to do anything about it.

Bringing up American Eagle made me flash back to this episode of Harvey Birdman.

[video=youtube_share;wKbGnzmidsw]http://youtu.be/wKbGnzmidsw?t=23s[/video]

was

Adventurer
-I don't think making the new Captain America black is really going to cause a problem. It's just another guy filling the position. I'd read it and watch it at the theaters.

-What I don't get, is making Thor female. I understand their logic that he gets his powers from his hammer Mjolnir granted to him by Odin. But Thor is the actual guy. It's not a superhero persona and it feels like the company was really just too lazy to come up with a complete, complex female character. Instead, they just gave the guy a sex change. Not something that I'd be interested in reading about or watching.

-I don't think making the new Captain America black is really going to cause a problem. It's just another guy filling the position. I'd read it and watch it at the theaters.

-What I don't get, is making Thor female. I understand their logic that he gets his powers from his hammer Mjolnir granted to him by Odin. But Thor is the actual guy. It's not a superhero persona and it feels like the company was really just too lazy to come up with a complete, complex female character. Instead, they just gave the guy a sex change. Not something that I'd be interested in reading about or watching.
From my understanding, Thor, the guy, does something that makes him unworthy of Mjolnir. Thor, the female character, is a completely different person that is deemed worthy of Mjolnir. So it isn't really a sex change like female horse Loki. It's kind of like the Captain America title being given to Falcon. It's a different character, with her own play on Thor.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
From my understanding, Thor, the guy, does something that makes him unworthy of Mjolnir. Thor, the female character, is a completely different person that is deemed worthy of Mjolnir. So it isn't really a sex change like female horse Loki. It's kind of like the Captain America title being given to Falcon. It's a different character, with her own play on Thor.

Yes. From my understanding Thor, the person, is still going to be around, possibly still with the Avengers, but sans the power of his hammer - there have been some images floating around with him using an axe...

Then, the woman fills the role of Thor, God of Thunder, wielding Mjollnir.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

Something about the news is causing a lot of people to think this.

From what I've read, it like [MENTION=6750031]Homicidal_Squirrel[/MENTION] said. This new female get's the old Thor's hammer, with all the power and responsibility that comes with it.

And the previous Thor picks up a battle axe from somewhere...so he will be sticking around, theoretically a lot less "superpowered".

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Cool. He's not Sikh, but maybe Marvel can't be as ballsy as Vishavjit Singh.

Still would rather see Donald Glover as Spiderman, though. ;)

was said:
Instead, they just gave the guy a sex change. Not something that I'd be interested in reading about or watching.

Having just seen NPH doing Hedwig on stage last night, I've gotta say that the sex change of a larger-than-life germanic man can be super entertaining in the right contexts. Maybe you're selling it short! :)

That aside, it's not exactly like the comic-book Thor is really at all faithful to much of the myth. What's one more change?

Remove ads