• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Character Builder from WotC!

Burchard

First Post
It didn't add a feat bonus to my attacks with a Dwarven Knight. I really hope they fix this and calculate the rolls properly. Otherwise I'm going back to pencil and paper.

Renshai

First Post
So far this software is very, very buggy. I get errors about every other click and have to refresh. The Essentials character sheet doesn't check trained skills. If you make a copy of a character, you can't save that character as normal after deleting the old one. Also, no Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms data yet. So far, very disappointed.

Ktulu

First Post
Problems so far:

Has troubles saving the name when first entering it.
No ability to add all weapons to a power card.
Two-weapon attacks do not display two weapons, only the primary weapon.
No customization of power-cards or character sheet (was aware this wouldn't be at launch)

malraux

First Post
This is crazy slow. And I say this after running the old CB inside VirtualBox on an older mac without gobs of ram. Yeah I'm sure some of it is lots of hits from people trying it out, but it seems like every single click requires waiting on the server to send back data.

Abraxas

Explorer
Nah- once you actually choose your scores it appears... All magic like! :D
It doesn't appear to show up at all if all you do is enter scores for a character - as opposed to choosing one of the 3 methods shown.

5 errors and restarts so far - and it seems to be running very slow - hopefully that will change when everything calms down a bit.

6 errors now

Last edited:

Dumnbunny

Explorer
Going from a WPF/.NET client app to an ASP.NET/AJAX app is pretty much a complete rewrite that happens to use the same programming language and some of the same libraries for the server-side code (but if you want to do anything client side, you need to find libraries or write Javascript).
Nope. All the business logic, which in an app like a character builder is going to be a large amount of code, could be easily reused. If it was written properly in the first place, it could be reused as is. They'd have to rewrite the interface, to be sure, but looking at the on-line builder this morning, well, they rewrote it anyways.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads