• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Character Builder from WotC!

Dumnbunny

Explorer
So what should they have used? Flash...doesn't work on the ipad. Java...doesn't work on the ipad. HTML5...not there yet (and certainly wasn't when they began developing the new tool). There is/was no ideal solution for them here.
Rather than copy and paste an earlier post, I'll just link to it. And I do this without snark; it's easy to miss a few posts in a thread this large.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
From WotC_Trevor:

Hey all. We have discovered an issue with the servers that is causing some people to crash out or hang up in the CB when filling out their characters. We're working to pinpoint the exact issue and fix it, and as soon as I have any new information I'll let you know.

Scribble

First Post
It doesn't appear to show up at all if all you do is enter scores for a character - as opposed to choosing one of the 3 methods shown.

Does for me...

One thing I did notice is that if you make a character higher then level 4, it won't show until you enter your scores and select which stats to give the level bonuses to.

Maybe that's it?

6 errors now

Haven't had a single error yet... On Chrome. Haven't tried to save anything yet though so maybe that will do it.

mysticknight232

First Post
Here are the things I'm dissapointed in so far.

1. Customizability of the power cards/character sheet. I dislike the way the new character sheet looks in general (extreme dislike). There's a ton of wasted space. Why go from 2 clean pages to 3 pages with a lot of wasted space? And they even removed stuff from the CS!! For example, it no longer shows you the calculations for your defenses and attacks. If the CB math is wrong (as people have indicated that is currently doesn't take into account expertise feats), then many people will have problems figuring this out.

2. The size of the CB in the window. The previous one was full screen. This one is about 3/4 of the screen which makes it feel small and pinched. In most cases, this isn't a huge deal, however when selecting feats it feels like it's just a laundry list of feats with no rhyme or reason to them.

3. Speaking of feats, they no longer give you a short description of the feat next to the name. Now, you have to select a feat and read the full description if you're not familiar with what the feat does. And lets face it, there are a TON of feats these days. Also, see previous comment about the size of the screen with so many feats to browse through.

4. When selcting a MC feat, it then gives you the option to select a skill training. I selected MC Ardent for a character I was building and it only gave me 5 skill choices. I specifically choose ardent because I wanted the MC feat and the diplomacy skill granted by the ardent class. Only, it wasn't an option. I was able to type in "diplomacy" and it popped up for me, but I think this is a huge issue for newer players if they are not familiar with the class skills of each class. I knew what I was looking for in this instance, but many players could miss out on skill training if all the choices don't show up.

5. We are not unable to use the mouse wheel to scroll through selction menus. This is a huge pain. See previous comments regarding feats. There is a huge selection of feats to choose from and not being able to use the scroll wheel on the mouse makes it tedious to scroll through them all.

6. Inherent bonuses are missing. My group has postponed our new DS campaign until the CB came out with intent of using DS builds and races along with inherent bonuses. This is a big dissapointment when they take away functionality from the previous version.

I'll update this if I think of anything else. I realize some of this is aesthetics and I'll just need to get used to it. But why remove functionality for this when it was clearly useful in the original verison. WotC should have launched a Beta version for a month while we got acclimated to it.

Last edited:

Prestidigitalis

First Post
I'll update this if I think of anything else. I realize some of this is aesthetics and I'll just need to get used to it. But why remove functionality for this when it was clearly useful in the original verison. WotC should have launched a Beta version for a month while we got acclimated to it.

Those are fair complaints. It's called usability, and they have some big gaps in that regard.

In fairness though, this is a pretty damn big "product". I can guarantee you they know it isn't complete. Think of it as a Beta and it makes more sense.

cpendlet

First Post
Is there some way to create an essential character but still be able to select from the full list of magic items and feats (want to use a Waraxe and have full selection of magic items)?

If I make a "normal" craracter, I can't pick the Warpriest and when I pick the essenial charatcer, my options get severly limited forfeats/magic items.

cpendlet

First Post
Is there some way to create an essential character but still be able to select from the full list of magic items and feats (want to use a Waraxe and have full selection of magic items)?

If I make a "normal" character, I can't pick the Warpriest and when I pick the essential character, my options get severely limited for feats/magic items.

Figured it out. Make a normal character and then scroll down when picking the class (warpriest is listed separately from the cleric)

Abraxas

Explorer
Does for me...

One thing I did notice is that if you make a character higher then level 4, it won't show until you enter your scores and select which stats to give the level bonuses to.

Maybe that's it?
It was a first level character - the one I'm currently playing.

Haven't had a single error yet... On Chrome. Haven't tried to save anything yet though so maybe that will do it.
I'm using Firefox. So far the errors have been when making a power swap after leveling (once), leveling up the character (twice), Adding level bonuses to stats (once), Unselecting a power to swap (once) and something in equipment selection that I don't remember exactly (once).

And it seemed to get progressively slower after each error - but that is subjective as I didn't time each restore.

Remove ads