• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New character help

duo963

First Post
While I love the punchline, that is about the only aspect of being an inherently evil-based class that appeals to me. I never enjoy playing evil characters, don't know what it is about it. Though I am aware that I could put a spin on the class in some way to swing being a halfway decent person, so I will keep it in mind as a viable option.
I did, however, have a brief moment where I contemplated looking into seeing if one could multiclass two hybrid classes. There are probably rules against it, but regardless, I would imagine that it would stretch the character WAY too thin to be of any real use.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The paladin/lock combo looks really nice, especially with the synergy of power mechanics, but how is the damage output compared to a standard striker?

My guess is this: most people consider the Warlock to be one of the lower damage striker classes...even with its recent revision. I don't see anything in the Pal|War (...War|Pal?) hybrid that changes this. However, you DO get a tougher, flexible striker/defender who has some unusual tactical options and can be a pain in both ranged and melee combat.

And as he levels up, he'll have some interesting mobility options...

FWIW, the one major deviation between my take on this combo was in the hybrid talent choice- I wanted Shadow Walk instead of armor, since my concept was built around a lightly armored desert warrior type who was elusive. And from THAT choice sprang the decision to take Hidden Sniper to add to my accuracy vs opponents against whom I had cover...namely, everyone on the board.

Last edited:

duo963

First Post
Alright, so we have a confirmed 3 in the party now. One of which is going wizard/bard, the other is stealing the paladin/warlock that I stole/created. I believe that I have free run of a more damaged based class at this point.

Rechan

Adventurer
To diverge from the suggested, what about a Berzerker? They are a backup defender, but you can load it up with the striker powers.

Droogie128

First Post
I gotta say, I love the avenger.

Same. It's the coolest striker in 4e, imo (pursuit specifically). It's also fun watching the DM cry when you get an artillery, controller, lurker, or skirmisher cornered and force them to stand toe to toe with you (Avengers are very tough), or run away and make you hit even harder.

The danger that Avengers present to enemy strikers is a form of control on its own. They can bunch together to prevent him from wiping out their squishies, and set themselves up for AoE's, or split up and make it easy for the Avenger to single one of them out. It's even more fun with Power of Skill since you can become a charging monster.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
What sort of books do you have access to?

I hear good things about the E-Thief. With Tactical Trick, you can have combat advantage every round.
Another fun trick: Human E-Thief with the background that grants a martial weapon proficiency (hint: take rapier), Flash of the Blade feat (deal SA with rapiers even without CA), Sly Flourish as third at-will, and Feinting Trick makes a deadly single-target duelist that doesn't care about CA at all, and assuming Dex 18 & Cha 16, does 1d8+2d6+12 damage every round without CA, and you're still at +8 to hit (assuming expertise), +9 if you charge (though less damage). Surprising Charge makes for a good addition to this build if you also took Acrobat's Trick.

Then you want to avoid things overplayed ie: fighter, rogue, wizard.

I play no original/essential characters. Assassin Striker, Bard Leader, Invoker Controller, and a Goliath Earth Warden. I like two saving throws per turn.

But I should have checked the Ardent. It has an attack that gives you resist.

Remove ads