• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New class. Please help evaluate and balance it.

Greg K

Legend
Note: edited. added Detect Evil as a 0-level spell, removed detect evil as a 1st level ability, removed contact other plane from the list of spells. Still more changes coming.

Hi,
The following is intended as a base class for my campaign. It is a bit cleric, a bit monk and a bit paladin I would appreciate criticques and suggestions for balancing the class. Please do not tell me to have the players mutliclass and build this as a PrC. I hate requriing/relying my players to on multiclassings and prcs for concepts that have some aspects of various classes, but gain other abilities that would just be ignored from those classes (plus class skills not remaining consistant across levels just annoys me).

Thanks for any help

Priestess of Shitarra
The Priestesses of Shitarra are a lawful good order of priestesses (males priests are paladins), who wander the land as champions of Good

Characteristics; Priestesses of Shitarra are divine casters and masters of unarmed combat. They have some limited healing (granted by Shayla, the goddess of healing) and an ability to turn undead (granted by Baal, the god of death) that is more limited than the PHB cleric. However, their spells to involve communicating with their deity, blessing the faithful, cursing/punishing the wicked, inspiring both Courage and Hope in others, and boosting their martial prowess when fighting evil.

In addition to her spellcasting, a priestess of Shittara is trained in study religion, athletics, meditation, unarmed combat, swordsmanship (their holy symbol is the bastard sword), and divine magic.

Despite their martial training and armor having no effect on divine magic, they avoid armor. Instead, they rely on athletism, keen reflexes, intuition, and martial prowess to protect them from harm. This is to done to emulate the goddess Shitarra in her battle with Khaine. In the battle, Khaine destroyed Shitarra’s golden armor, but the goddess still prevailed through her use of the abilities her priestesses try to emulate

Adventures: A Priestess of Shitarra adventures to support the teachings of her deity. She seeks to defeat evil, aid others in need, protect the weak and serve as an example to which other good people can aspire.

Background: Priestesses of Shitarra come from orphans and other female children, who somehow find their way to the monastaries door step. From an early age (six to eight), they are trained within the walls of a monastery developing their mind, body, spirit, and faith.

After ten years of training, a priestess undergoes an ordeal testing their athleticism, faith, and martial prowess. If it is successfully completed, their hair magically changes to platinum blonde. She is then ordained a priestess, tattooed on her right shoulder with a broadsword being held by a red gloved hand, given the red glove and bastard sword symbolizing her as a priestess. leave upon which they seek to champion good, protect the downtrodden and inspire bravery in others

Religion: Priestesses of Shitarra worship all the campaign's deity save those who are evil. However, they are devoted to Shitarra, the goddess of Courage, Hope, Justice and Good

She is expected to pray for hour beginning at dawn as dawn brings a new day and with it hope.

Tenets:
1. Be a champion of Good
2. Be a symbol of both Courage and Hope in order to inspire others
3. Be truthful and honorable
4. Protect the downtrodden and the weak
5. Aid the less fortunate
6. Be merciful when applicable, but never to the forces of darkness (including evil divine casters and undead) unless you have reason to believe them to be truly repentant

Spellcasting: Priestesses of Shitara are divine spellcasters. They learn spells at a rate slower than the cleric and use the bard's progression for the number of spells that can be cast per day. A Priestess of Shitarra never needs to memorize spells. She is a spontaneous spellcaster and automatically knows any spell on her spell list provided she has is of the appropriate level and has the wisdom score to cast the spell.

Abilties: A Priestess of Shitara relies on all abilities. Wisdom determines how powerful a spell she can cast and how hard her spells are to resist. Charisma helps her to turn undead and provides a bonus to smite evil. Dexterity helps her to avoid being hit and with Reflex saves which evasion is dependant upon. Constitution helps resist damage and boost fortitude saves. Strength helps to boost damage.

Alignment: Must be lawful Good
Hit Die: d8
BAB: Medium
Saving throws: As Monk
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump, (Str), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim, Tumble (Dex)

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x?4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

1 AC Bonus, Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike d6 damage, Aura of Good, Smite Evil 1/day, spells
2 Evasion, Speed Bonus +10
3 Aura of Courage, Still Mind
4 Turn Undead
5 Smite Evil 2/day
6 Uncanny Dodge. d8 unarmed damage
7 Divine Health
8 Improved Uncanny Dodge
9 Improved Evasion
10 Smite Evil 3/day
11 d10 unarmed damage
15 Smite Evil 4/day
16 d12 unarmed damage
20 Smite Evil 5/day

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Priestesss of Shitarra
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Priestesss of Shitarra are proficient with bastard sword, club quarterstaff.
They are not proficient with any armor or shields. When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a priestess of Shitarra loses her AC bonus, as well as her fast movement and flurry of blows abilities.

AC Bonus (Ex): As per the monk ability

Flurry of Blows (Ex): As per the monk ability, but only when unarmed

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a priestess of Shitarra gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. Her attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that she ay even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a a priestess of Shitarra striking unarmed. She may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.
Usually a priestess of Shitarra’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
A priestess of Shitarra’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.
She also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown below.

Level Damage
1-5 d6
6-10 d8
11-15 d10
16-20 d12

Aura of Good: At first level, the Priestess of Shitarra radiates an Aura of Good as per the Paladin ability

Smite Evil: At first level the Priestess of Shitarra gains the ability to smite evil as per the Paladin ability

Spells: At first level, the priestess of Shitarra gains the ability to cast divine spells from the priestess of Shitarra spell list (see below). The priestess of Shittara is a spontaneous caster and had no need to memorize spells and she uses the bard’s spell progression to determine the number of spells she can cast per day. To learn a spell, the priestess of Shitarra must have a wisdom score equal to at least 10+ the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a priestess of Shitarra’s spell is 10 + the spell level + her Wisdom modifier.
Evasion: At second level, the priestess of Shitarra gains evasion as per the Monk ability
Speed Bonus: At second level, the Priestess of Shitarra’s athletic training results in a +10’ bonus to movement.

Aura of Courage: At third level, the priestess of Shittara gains Aura of Courage as per the Paladin ability

Still Mind: At third level, the priestess of Shitarra gains Still Mind as per the Monk ability

Turn Undead: At fourth level, the priestess of Shitarra gains the ability to turn undead as if a paladin

Uncanny Dodge: At sixth level, the priestess of Shitarra gains Uncanny Dodge as per the rogue ability

Divine Health: At seventh level, the Priestess of Shitarra gains Divine Health as per the Paladin Ability

Improved Uncanny Dodge: At eighth level, the priestess of Shitarra gains Uncanny Dodge as per the rogue ability

Improved Evasion: At ninth level, the priestess of Shitarra gains Uncanny Dodge as per the rogue ability

Priestess of Shitarra Spell List
0 Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Evil, Resistance, Virtue
1 Bane, Bless, Bless Weapon, Cure Light Wounds, Divine Favor, Protection from Evil, Remove Fear, Shield of Faith
2 Aid, Augury, Cure Moderate Wounds, Enthrall
3 Bestow Curse, Cure Serious Wounds, Cloak of Bravery, Heroism, Prayer, Remove Curse
4 Good Hope, Divination, Heroism, Lesser Planar Ally, Imbue w/spell ability, Magic Weapon Greater
5 Atonement, Break Enchantment, Commune, Dispel Evil, Holy Sword, Mark of Justice, Greater Command, Planar Ally, Valiant Fury
6 Geas/Quest, Greater Heroism, Greater Planar Ally

EX- Priestess of Shitarra
A Priestess of Shitarra, who ceases to be lawful good, willingly commits an evil act, or grossly violates her tenents loses the following abilities: Detect Evil, Divine Health, Smite Evil, and the ability to cast spells. She also may not progress in levels as a Priestess of Shitarra until she atones.
A Priestess of Shitarra, who multiclasses loses the ability to gain further levels as a Priestess of Shitarra.

Last edited:

Tyonisius

First Post
Over all the class seems underpowered. It also is very front loaded with very few gains for going beyond 10th level. First thing I would do is give it a full attack bonus and up it's hit die to a d10. Some unique abilities for this class would be nice for the later levels or maybe bonus feats to show it's martial nature?

Greg K

Legend
Tyonisius,
Thanks for the reply. I was aiming somewhere between the paladin and cleric for power level. I almost did give it a Good BAB and d10 hp as I originaly envisioned it as a paladin variant. However, I figured that the two extra skill points came at the cost of reducing the d10hd to d8. Then I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to stack flurry of blows on top of a Good BAB. By the time, I was finished, I wasn't sure if the class was going to be underpowered with the bard's spell progession, monk's saves, spontaneous casting, uncanny dodge and evasion.

I have some more ideas so when I get home tonight, I'll type them up.

Tyonisius said:
Over all the class seems underpowered. It also is very front loaded with very few gains for going beyond 10th level. First thing I would do is give it a full attack bonus and up it's hit die to a d10. Some unique abilities for this class would be nice for the later levels or maybe bonus feats to show it's martial nature?

Xulin

First Post
This reminds me very much of the holy monk variant in Dragon #310.

My problem with this class is that it doesn't really offer anything new. You could basically use the holy monk variant and multiclass with cleric to achieve the same effect. Might I ask what your particular goal is in creating this unique class? Remember, multiclassing is the key to multiple class bonuses - especially given that your class is quite front heavy.

Also, this may be sexist, but I don't like gender requirements on base classes.

Hapless Guy: Why can't I join your order? I've been a faithful follower of Shitarra for my entire life.

Priestess: I'm sorry, but we only had room in the temple for one dormitory, and the guys drew the short straw. So you can't be one.

Khuxan

First Post
Xulin said:
Also, this may be sexist, but I don't like gender requirements on base classes.

Hapless Guy: Why can't I join your order? I've been a faithful follower of Shitarra for my entire life.

Priestess: I'm sorry, but we only had room in the temple for one dormitory, and the guys drew the short straw. So you can't be one.

I agree, in a way. A base class should be broad enough that it can include males, females, and all races. I think the class should be open to all good people. The actual order of Shitarra can be sexist - I don't mind that, and they can be the main ones to utilise the class. Just as long as they're not the only ones.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Re: sexism, check the OP. . .

males priests are paladins

So, they exist, they're just different.

Anyway, the class doesn't quite 'feel' right, FWIW. Something about the mixture of other classes' abilities, perhaps, when put alongside the fluff. :\ Dunno what it is exactly. Personally, I would ditch the Evasion (and IE of course) in favour of something else, maybe Mettle. Not sure.

Khuxan

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
Re: sexism, check the OP. . .

So, they exist, they're just different.

Right, but a whole base class shouldn't be limited to one gender of one church of one god. If it hasn't got broad appeal it should be a prestige class, IMO.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Khuxan said:
Right, but a whole base class shouldn't be limited to one gender of one church of one god. If it hasn't got broad appeal it should be a prestige class, IMO.
Is there a reason why you believe this to be so?

Khuxan

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
Is there a reason why you believe this to be so?

In most cases (including this one), the class features of the base class will be generic enough that they could apply to a large number of characters. For me, there is nothing more annoying than finding the perfect feat, prestige class or magical item only to be told there is a specific, arbitrary, flavour-related restriction upon it. If I were a character in Greg's game, and wanted to play a character with the abilities of a priestess of Shitarra without being a worshipper of Shitarra, I'd feel a bit miffed that I couldn't.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Khuxan said:
In most cases (including this one), the class features of the base class will be generic enough that they could apply to a large number of characters. For me, there is nothing more annoying than finding the perfect feat, prestige class or magical item only to be told there is a specific, arbitrary, flavour-related restriction upon it. If I were a character in Greg's game, and wanted to play a character with the abilities of a priestess of Shitarra without being a worshipper of Shitarra, I'd feel a bit miffed that I couldn't.
My response, were I DM, would be along the lines of 'too bad', however diplomatically that might be put.

A sense of player entitlement is fine, a natural thing even, within limits. We all have different limits, is all.

Besides, we're talking about a deity here. They are notoriously biased and just plain bizarre, no matter which pantheon or religion you're looking at. Though I'll add a hasty 'in RPGs' just in case. ;)

But there's probably no point to me arguing for or against all that on these forums anyway, particularly in someone else's HR thread. Sorry, Greg K. :heh:

Remove ads