• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New class: spellstrike duelist

TheFlamingRheo

First Post
Here is a new prestige class that my DM and I have just come up with, it is called the spellstrike duelist.

Requirements:
Bluff 8+ranks
balance7+ranks
feats: Dodge, expertise, finesse rapier and craft mag arms/armor
Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells or higher

Class abilities:
BAB: that of a fighter
spell progression: every level
Sword casting: a spellstrike's hand is considered empty while using a sword, 1st level ability
Charisma bonus to AC: 1st level ability
Evasion at 2nd and Improved evasion at 7th
uncanny dodge at 2nd and 7th level
Bonus feat: at 3rd, 6th and 8th level
Gravija: Once per day you can make a group of people, you choose who it effects, go into weigthlessness.

The only draw back is that every level you take after the first you must spend a total amount of XP equal to your total levelx50

krbrunn

First Post
Maybe explain why the charisma bonus is applied to AC, or why this class can make everyone weightless.

As of right now this seems to be just a collection of ideas, with no rhyme or reason as to why they work.

Some background info would make it easier to critique this class.

ATO_DM

First Post
This class just seems to combine some of the best abilities of Fighters, Wizards, and Monks. Fighter Attack progression combined with Spell Progression at every level is just way too good. I'm assuming that the Gravija ability is the 10th level Prc ability, so it seems that the only two levels that you don't get a special ability is 5th and 9th. Special abilities at every level except two, best attack progression, best spell progression. This is just too good in every way.

Also, the Gravija ability, aside from being so undefined as to be abused horribly,doesn't seem to have anything to do with the "Spellstrike Duelist." There's no Spellstriking type abilities, such as Spell Focus(Evocation). And there are no duelist abilities other than the prerequisite feats to become this PRC.

The sacrificing of experience in the way you described is impossible. If you sacrifice the experience immediately upon gaining a level this would put you below the required experience to gain that level. In the rules for Magic Item Creation it is explicitly stated that this isn't possible.

This PRC needs a serious overhaul.

gamecat

Explorer
Our game is so extreme it is basically bungee jumping with dice. The Spellstrike Duelist is meant for a spelljammer campaign and there are specific rules for weightlessness.

Last edited:

ATO_DM

First Post
How "extreme" the campaign is has nothing to do with what I said. Your campaign can be as extreme as you want it to be. But, despite the fact that there are rules covering weightlessness, it doesn't change the fact that the class is just a whole bunch of good abilities without purpose or anything to do with the title of the PRC.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
ATO_DM said:
How "extreme" the campaign is has nothing to do with what I said. Your campaign can be as extreme as you want it to be. But, despite the fact that there are rules covering weightlessness, it doesn't change the fact that the class is just a whole bunch of good abilities without purpose or anything to do with the title of the PRC.

Yeppers- I'm with ATO on this one.

DreamChaser

Explorer
just from what I can see:

nix the bonus feats...they should not gain all of their fighter and wizard/sorcerer benefits from this class.

give them uncanny dodge OR evasion but not both. the combo is more roguish than anything.

make them have a specific attuned sword that they must have to use the abilities of this class. this way there is a very specific limitation. they spend the exp on the sword to keep it "charged" with the energy necessary to use their class abilities.

Because the "duelist" name implies one on one combat, make it so that any spells cast with their sword in their hand can only EVER affect one target, regardless of the spell description. this tones down their combined fighting/spell casting might.

just my thoughts
DC

Al

First Post
Now here's an interesting question for you...what bard would NOT take this prestige class (other than those who want the Virtuoso abilities). Let me see...prequisites: Balance and Bluff; not a problem. Feats are pretty steep, but you get three back, so assuming you were going to take any one of Dodge, Expertise, Weapon Finesse or Craft Magic Arms and Armour anyway, then no expenditure on this front. And the rewards...

Cha bonus to AC: Thanks very much. Probably a comfortable +4 to AC on qualifying, rising to +8 or more at top level.
BAB: Better than normal.
Spells: No improvement, but nevermind.
Sword Casting: Handy
Evasion/Improved Evasion: Very handy.
Uncanny Dodge: Very handy as well.
Gravija: Sounds interesting.
So...the only thing you sacrifice is bardic music (woo...) bardic lore (not the end of the world) and er...skills (?- you haven't done them yet). In exchange for better bab, a hefty AC bonus, sword casting, evasion rising to improved and uncanny dodge. Hardly a fair exchange.

For that matter, what sorceror wouldn't take it? Sure, he has to blow a few skills cross-class, and waste a feat (he gets three back for the four sacrificed- and gets their benefit to boot) in exchange for a raft of decent abilities.

I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board.

ATO_DM

First Post
Wow! The connection between this class and Bards, I didn't even see it. You just summed up why this class is so wrong. There is no reason for a bard not to take it.

Remove ads