• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Class: the aleamancer

theskyfullofdust

First Post
In preparation for a home brew 4th Ed. D&D campaign, I decided to try and create a new class; chiefly for the fun of it.

So, here it is. I've put together a range of powers from Levels 1 to 29, plus new rituals and a paragon class. It's a first draft, and no doubt the maths aren't perfect and it will need tweaking, especially after it has been play-tested (which it hasn't been yet).

The term aleamancer comes from aleatory, which is actually to do with luck, gambling, that sort of thing. I used the idea and broadened it, altered it, in a novel I was working on, and thought it could work as a class. It is not about luck any more, but rather jury-rigging, the manipulation of objects and devices, more by instinct and an arcane insight than anything. I found a term on the 'net that referred to aleamancy as 'divination by found objects,' and that served as the basis for the class.

Anyhow, I digress. I've uploaded it here for you to have a look at, so you can all rip it apart and help me make it workable.

All comments welcomed, and if anyone feels like giving it a play-test, feel free and let me know what you think.

Thanks

Simon :)

Alex319

First Post
The only problem I see is that the powers don't really take advantage of the unique "devices" idea. Most of them are just standard wizard power effects (AoE blasts, walls, etc.) reflavored as "devices." One example of a unique aleatory power that you do have is Gift of Life, which creates a consumable - something that is not done by any other class. More of these types of powers - like a "create consumable," "create pet" (for MMORPG definition of pet), "modify magic item temporarily" etc. would be a good idea.

theskyfullofdust

First Post
The only problem I see is that the powers don't really take advantage of the unique "devices" idea. Most of them are just standard wizard power effects (AoE blasts, walls, etc.) reflavored as "devices." One example of a unique aleatory power that you do have is Gift of Life, which creates a consumable - something that is not done by any other class. More of these types of powers - like a "create consumable," "create pet" (for MMORPG definition of pet), "modify magic item temporarily" etc. would be a good idea.

I originally thought of going down this route, but was worried that it would look too much like a re-hash of the artificer class. A balance between the two could work, but I like your thoughts on it, and might try and do someone more like that with the next version.

Remove ads