• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Cleave feat question

cbbakke

First Post
The new cleave power lets you forgo the damage on the extra target and you get your con modifer in temp hps.

My question is: do you have to have a creature that you could cleave to use this power? So if there is only one target in range, can u still use this power for the temp hps. If so it is bolstering strike and cleave at once.

Dalzig

First Post
Here's a tip: If you want to encourage discussion about something, give some (any) information on that something.

Instead of "new cleave feat," say Untamed Berserker Style from the Arena Fighting in Dragon 368.

I would say that you don't need another adjacent enemy to use the temp HP cleave. Some might say otherwise.

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
I assume you are talking about Untamed Berserker Style feat. You forgo dealing damage to an adjacent enemy, and gain temporary hitpoints instead. You can't forgo what you can't do, so I'd say there has to be an adjacent enemy. Here is the exact wording:

"You can forgo dealing damage to an adjacent enemy to instead gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier."

Bumamgar

First Post
I agree with Dalzig. I read the feat as modifying the Cleave power as so:

Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you choose either to gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier, or an enemy adjacent to you other than the target takes damage equal to your Strength modifier.

In other words, worded similarly to Sacred Flame.

Sure, it basically turns Cleave into a situational Bolstering Strike, but it costs a feat, which seems balanced to me.

Mengu

First Post
Sure, it basically turns Cleave into a situational Bolstering Strike, but it costs a feat, which seems balanced to me.

I don't know about that. It completely changes the nature of the power. For instance a Dwarf might start out with Cleave (a way to control minions), and Tide of Iron (a way to control the field). With one cheap feat, he would suddenly also have Crushing Surge (a way to bolster his HP's). That's essentially giving the fighter a new at-will with 1 feat. The condition of needing an adjacent enemy makes it more in line as a feat.

The way I'd read the power is:

Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and an enemy adjacent to you other than the target takes damage equal to your Strength modifier. You can forgo dealing this damage to instead gain temporary hit points equal to your constitution modifier.

icedrake

Explorer
Blustering strike will be better for the battlerager, as the feat (need to reread my dragon AFB...) does not likely grant cleave the invirgoring keyword. Any temp hp gained will not stack with that gained through the variant class feature.

That's not to say its good for your standard fighter, but its not as great in some ways.

All the same, it does cost a feat.

Remove ads