• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

new creature for review - Kylonoderm

Devon

First Post
Hi, folks,

Here's a new creature I just fabricated.

I would love your feedback, when you have a moment.

- Devon

Kylonoderm
Gargantuan Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 20d10+140 (250 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 60 ft.
AC: 25 (-8 size, +23 natural)
Attacks: 2 stings +24, 1 claw +19 melee; or slam +24 melee
Damage: sting 2d6+12 plus poison, claw 2d4+6; or slam 1d10+18
Face/Reach: 20 ft. by 40 ft./ 15 feet
Special attacks: Antimagic field, poison, sweep, trample 2d10+18, improved grab
Saves: Fort +24, Ref +19, Will +9
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 11, Con 25, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Spot +13, Listen +13,
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave
Climate/Terrain: any land
Organization: solitary, herd (4-15), or stampede (16-40)
Challenge Rating: 20
Treasure: none
Alignment: always neutral
Advancement: 21 - 40 HD (Gargantuan), 41-60 HD (Colossal)

This bizarre elephantine-spider hybrid generates antimagic.

The shaggy, gargantuan kylonoderm has the body of an elephant, but instead of a head, coming directly from its shoulders are a pair of long, hairy, chitinous, segmented, stinger-tipped arms, like that of a great spider, between which dangles a feeding tentacle which more closely resembles that of an elephant, save for the cluster of eight eyes which cling to the highest part of the trunk. The tip of the kylonoderm's feeding truck is equipped with a sharp claw, used to snip through branches, small tree limbs, and occasionally, opponents.

It does not trumpet, like an elephant, but gives a low, deep, rumbling series of clicks, punctuated by the occasional, thundering exhalation. It is omnivorous, eating anything it can catch, and supplementing that with the plants and trees of the wilderness.

Combat:
The kylonoderm tends to sweep around with its trunk when fighting smaller creatures, employing its poisonous stingers only when fighting creatures its own size, or as a reflexive reaction to sudden sources of danger.

Antimagic Field (Ex): The kylonoderm naturally radiates antimagic in an area 30 feet in radius. As with spell resistance, it can suppress this effect as a standard action.

Poison (Ex): Injected. Fort save DC 27, initial 1d4 temporary Con damage, 1d4 temporary Int damage, secondary 1 permanent Con damage.

Sweep (Ex): As a full-round action, the kylonoderm can sweep the area 15 feet ahead of it with its trunk. Creatures in the area are knocked prone and take 1d10+6 points of damage unless they make a Reflex save (DC 20), in which case they take half damage.

Trample (Ex): As a standard action during its turn each round, the kylonoderm can literally run over an opponent at least one size category smaller than itself by moving through its space, dealing 2d10+18 points of bludgeoning damage. Trampled opponents can attempt attacks of opportunity, but these incur a -4 penalty. If they do not make attacks of opportunity, trampled opponents can attempt Reflex saves for half damage (DC 32).

Improved Grab (Ex): If the kylonoderm hits with its slam attack, can attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. Grabbed creatures can be attacked by the kylonoderm's stingers with a +4 circumstance penalty.

[edit = added feats, made other minor changes - thanks, Frog Slime!]

Last edited:

Devon

First Post
It was actually a toss-up for me, Krishnath. I could see both ways as appropriate -- one, it's a jumble of animal parts (beast) with a strange power (magical beast), but it is very strange, which may mark it as an aberration.

In the end, I chose 'magical beast' because it got a more favorable attack bonus.

- Devon

Remove ads