• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Creature - Utyrip

Pure Puppet

First Post
Hi! My name is Pure Puppet, but you can call me Pure. I first became interested in Dungeons and Dragons last year, and I've been creating things for it on and off ever since. Although, to be quite frank, they've really only been good enough for me to put them up quite recently. What follows is a creature I was inspired to create when I brought Savage Species. With out further ado, I present: The Utyrip.

Utyrip
Medium Outsider (Native, Good)
Hit Dice: 2d10+5 (30)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 feet, fly 80 feet (good)
Armor Class: 22 (+3 Dex, +9 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3
Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d6+8), or 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+8)
Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d6+8), and 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+8)
Space/Reach: 5 feet/5 feet
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, Daylight, Smite Evil
Special Qualities: Spell-like Abilities, Low-Light Vision, Darkvision 60ft, Immune to Sleep and Paralysis effects, Immune to Fire, Resistance to Acid 10, Cold 10, and Electricity 10, Immune to Disease, Damage Reduction 5/magic and evil, Spell Resistance 12, +4 racial bonus on saves versus poison, Scent
Saves: Fortitude +5, Reflex +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 17, Con 21, Int 6, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills: Jump +8, Listen +8, Spot +8, Swim +8, Survival +8
Feats: Alertness, Track
Enviroment: Temperate Plains
Organization: Solitary or Pack (5-12)
Challenge Rating: 6
Alignment: Always Good (Any)

Standing before you is an odd creature, blending together aspects of dog, dragon, and bird. It is about the size and shape of a dog, but it is covered in fine golden scales, and two long trendils that look like a mandarin style beard trail down from its jaw. Sprouting from its shoulder blades are a pair of glorious golden wings, tinged with hints of scarlet. It's eyes are pools of golden radiance, and the sounds it is making are oddly harmonious.

Sages believe utyrips are distant celestial cousins to blink dogs. This does have some aspect of the truth, for both creatures are ultimately descended from dogs. However, the vicissitudes of fate and fortune have set these creatures down a much different path than their Material Plane cousins. Utyrips are a result of an archmage's attempt to enhance his familiars combat abilities. The result was everything he hoped for and more, and his familiar was often more capable in melee combat than he was. One of his companions was an exalted halfling paladin, whose riding dog mount had been blessed with celestial blood. Time passed, and one day the paladin's mount gave birth to a litter of strange, winged pups - the first utyrips.

Battle: Utyrips are generally found guarding the tombs of powerful celestials or high-ranking clerics, although some are occasionally found as companions to celestial rangers. A lone utyrip will never engage in combat against a superior enemy, preferring instead to use Daylight to dazzle its pursuers long enough for it to rejoin its pack. A pack of utyrips will use their spell-like abilities for defense and the mobility of their flight to get into position for their breath weapons. Once they manage to encircle their enemies, they will generally let loose with their breath weapons all at once. If any of their foes are still standing afterwards, they'll charge in and Smite Evil.

Breath Weapon: Once every 1d4+1 rounds, a utyrip may breath forth a cone of celestial fire, doing 3d4 points of special holy fire damage to all creatures within a thirty-foot cone. Since this fire results directly from holy energy, it is not subject to any sort of elemental immunity.
Daylight: A utyrip can use Daylight, as the cleric spell, at will.
Smite Evil: Once per day, a utyrip may make a single normal melee attack and deal 2 extra points of damage to an evil foe.
Damage Reduction: A utyrip automatically ignores (heals instantly) the first five points of damage from any melee attack. This may be bypassed with magical, evil-aligned weapons. A utyrip's natural attacks count as magical and good aligned for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction.
Spell-like abilities: Protection from Evil 3/day, Bless 1/day

robjh

First Post
Okay, so I guess you want a little feedback? (I'm never sure since some people are rather touchy about having potential issues mentioned.)

I do see a few little issues with the stats &c., at least if this is a v3.5 monster. Probably the BaB for a 2 HD outsider should be +2. Grapple would then be +2+8=+10. Outsiders have all good saves, so their base would be 2+(2/2)=+3. So Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +6. A 2 HD creature would normally only have 1 feat, so is one of those a bonus? 2d10+5 HD would have, on average 16 HD, not 30. Finally you don't have a creature advancement listed. Is it by Character Class?

Overall this has some awfully tough SQ's for just 2 HD monster. The CR just seems out of whack with the HD rating. But I like your description and looks good with a little balancing. :)

Knight Otu

First Post
I think Pure used a number of templates, actually. There's certainly hald-dragon (gold) and half-celestial. Maybe another one, I'm not quite sure. Track is likely the bonus feat - I thnk many canines have it as a bonus feat?

Yes, I think I know what bit of SS inspired Pure to do this creature. The dog at the beginning of the template chapter was supposed to have the Half-Celestial and Half-Gold Dragon templates. It looks like Pure also added the Celestial template (probably before Half-Celestial). And then added a few touches of his own, which I don't think should be discouraged particularly. Aside from the few problems robjh mentioned, it looks about right. The CR being off is not all that unusual with templated monsters, since most of them don't increase HD.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads