• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New D&D Monthly Survey: Mystics & Psionics

The new D&D monthly survey is up - it asks about last month's Unearthed Arcana psionics rules. Additionally, WotC reports on the results of the last survey about settings, classes, and races. It turns out that the top tier settings in terms of popularity are Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, and the Forgotten Realms, followed by Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer. Additionally, popular character types were led by the artificer, shaman, and alchemist; while the most popular races were thri-kreen, goblin, and aasimar.

The new D&D monthly survey is up - it asks about last month's Unearthed Arcana psionics rules. Additionally, WotC reports on the results of the last survey about settings, classes, and races. It turns out that the top tier settings in terms of popularity are Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, and the Forgotten Realms, followed by Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer. Additionally, popular character types were led by the artificer, shaman, and alchemist; while the most popular races were thri-kreen, goblin, and aasimar.

Find the new survey here. "This month, our survey looks at the mystic character class and our first draft of psionics rules for fifth edition. Your input is an invaluable tool that helps shape how we develop new material for D&D. If you love the rules, hate them, or have a specific issue you want to address, let us know."

Remathilis

Legend
The mists are a one-way trip. Ravenloft is a death sentence. At least in the versions I've seen. The real horror is that one cannot escape.

Not quite. The Mists only allow escape on THEIR terms; you can only leave when they are done with you. If you do whatever mysterious thing they want and don't fall to darkness*, you may be given a chance to leave. [Of course, this is just a mechanic to allow the DM to use Ravenloft without derailing his entire campaign. Basically, you can't escape RL unless the DM is ready to let you leave.]

That said, there is canonical examples of people leaving Ravenloft. A few 2e modules gave PCs the opportunity to leave (if the DM allows it); When Black Roses Bloom being one I know of. Even a few darklords have left; Lord Soth walked out when the Dark Powers realized they couldn't torment him and Vecna (and Kas) escaped via their own power (though to be fair, the Dark Powers were trying their luck trying to chain a Demigod in there).

So yes, the characters cannot escape due to their own actions, they are helpless. However the DM can always give them a chance at escape.

gyor

Legend
Honestly I think Shaman could be a Druid subclass, Alchemist a Rogue subclass, and Artificer a Bard Subclass.

But I could see them deciding to make Shaman, Artificer, and Alchemist thier own classes which would be cool. In fact I'd prefer it.

gyor

Legend
For Alchemist I'm not sure how to do it really well without stepping on Pathfinders toes.

That would be an interesting challenge.

Aldarc

Legend
Here is the feedback I gave on the mystic flavor:

In regards to the flavor of the class...

1. The name mystic is a good fantasy name, but it isn't as representative of the class as the name psion. Please do not use psionicist as a name, as that is a mouthful.
2. The mystic may be confusing to Dragonlance fans, as the mystic served as a divine counterpart to the sorcerer. Creating a psionic mystic will mean some work figuring out what to do with the Dragonlance mystic. Are they one and the same, or are they different?
3. If you go with mystic as a name, then please create a mystic Order of the Heart that would focus on emotions (think Green Lantern's emotional spectrum). This might make a decent fit for Dragonlance.
4. Please bring back the crystal themes of 3rd edition, but in a way that doesn't mimic existing magic items.
5. Please bring back psionic gem dragons!
6. Please do not make the Far Realm the default go-to story. While it may work for some settings (Ravenloft?), it wouldn't for other settings (Dragonlance).
7. I like psionics being different than arcane and divine magic. It can be a magic of its own if need be, or just a separate power source altogether.
8. Please have notes on what settings psionics can be used it and which ones it can't. If that's to be vague, then never mind.

Thank you for listening, and thank you for tackling psionics!
Yeah, it really does feel as if Mike Mearls's "psion" reads as the marginalization of psionics by turning it all into something other than how it was.

Yaarel

He Mage
For Alchemist I'm not sure how to do it really well without stepping on Pathfinders toes.

That would be an interesting challenge.

Combining Alchemist and Artificer makes alot sense. Add a Runester to this class as well, someone who writes runes and imbues the sentences with psionic power.

Last edited by a moderator:

epithet

Explorer
Yeah, it really does feel as if Mike Mearls's "psion" reads as the marginalization of psionics by turning it all into something other than how it was.

"How it was" was a caster. He specifically stated that he wanted to move psionics away from casting spells, but that's not marginalization--that's turning the class into something distinct as opposed to a magic-user with different flavor text.

Aldarc

Legend
"How it was" was a caster. He specifically stated that he wanted to move psionics away from casting spells, but that's not marginalization--that's turning the class into something distinct as opposed to a magic-user with different flavor text.
"How it was" amounts to more than just the casting system. I thought that would have been obvious, but apparently not. It's the flavor, the aesthetics, its classes (psion, psychic warrior, etc.) and disciplines (e.g. nomad, psychometabolism, etc.), and the general feel of psionics.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads