New D&D Monthly Survey: Mystics & Psionics

The new D&D monthly survey is up - it asks about last month's Unearthed Arcana psionics rules. Additionally, WotC reports on the results of the last survey about settings, classes, and races. It turns out that the top tier settings in terms of popularity are Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, and the Forgotten Realms, followed by Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer. Additionally, popular character types were led by the artificer, shaman, and alchemist; while the most popular races were thri-kreen, goblin, and aasimar.

The new D&D monthly survey is up - it asks about last month's Unearthed Arcana psionics rules. Additionally, WotC reports on the results of the last survey about settings, classes, and races. It turns out that the top tier settings in terms of popularity are Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, and the Forgotten Realms, followed by Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer. Additionally, popular character types were led by the artificer, shaman, and alchemist; while the most popular races were thri-kreen, goblin, and aasimar.

Find the new survey here. "This month, our survey looks at the mystic character class and our first draft of psionics rules for fifth edition. Your input is an invaluable tool that helps shape how we develop new material for D&D. If you love the rules, hate them, or have a specific issue you want to address, let us know."

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I don't think that particular list as in order. Likely, Ravenloft being front and center means that is what they are already working on/have penciled in as "next". I think it is a grouping that was just listed as "Hey look at all of the wacko-corner-case settings that are most popular...and, of course, our designed default is 'top-tier' as well..."

epithet

Explorer
I am disappointed Greyhawk did not rank in the top tier. Ah well, it is what it is. I do wonder if some of this is a self-fulfilling prophecy. There's been so little support for Greyhawk, for so many years, that a lot of player's have never experienced it before. Though, you could say the same for Planescape. I suspect because Planescape had a very popular video game, and also because it shares so much with all the other settings in terms of the planes, that it has had in essence some support.

I think there's also the fact that we have all the source material for Greyhawk we need already, from products published for prior editions. There aren't any significant mechanical differences between Greyhawk and PHB default material, and even the Sword Coast class option will probably translate easily. Given all that, how can WotC improve or add to Greyhawk as a setting? I'd hate for them to screw it up with a spellplague-type silly season.

ChapolimX

Explorer
... There's been so little support for Greyhawk, for so many years, that a lot of player's have never experienced it before. Though, you could say the same for Planescape. I suspect because Planescape had a very popular video game, and also because it shares so much with all the other settings in terms of the planes, that it has had in essence some support.

That would be my case. I'm curious about what is so unique about Greyhawk that makes it diferent from The Realms. I think the diference is much more clear when I think of Eberron, Darksun, Ravenloft or Planescape.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Interesting that there wasn't a survey question on what you thought of the term "mystic."
Maybe Mearls is pretty attached to that. Wonder how much that'll show up or get paid attention to in the comments section.
Also no questions about the Far Realm origin. Surveys can be as revealing in what they don't ask as they can be efficient in gathering information about what they do ask.

I'm pretty sure there were no questions about psionics in any of the playtest surveys, for instance.

Be sure to fill in your feelings on the Mystic or whatever else the survey left out in the comments section.
Make some poor intern's life heck summarizing them. ;)

Last month's survey pointedly left out the psion, obviously because it was already in the pipeline. It also pointedly left out the Warlord, but included 'Martial Adepts' who had only a brief appearance at the tail end of 3.5 with Bo9S. So it's also not always easy to tell what the absence of something from a survey might imply.

The three 'character types' that 'won' last month are interesting. The Artificer and Alchemist could easily fit in the same class (they both make magic stuff, they're both knowledge-oriented/'civilized' archetypes). The Shaman and Artificer were both 'Leaders' last ed (and the Alchemist easily could be).

Last edited by a moderator:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I am disappointed Greyhawk did not rank in the top tier. Ah well, it is what it is. I do wonder if some of this is a self-fulfilling prophecy. There's been so little support for Greyhawk, for so many years, that a lot of player's have never experienced it before. Though, you could say the same for Planescape. I suspect because Planescape had a very popular video game, and also because it shares so much with all the other settings in terms of the planes, that it has had in essence some support.
Plus, it's way cooler. :)

Azzibeel

First Post
I think shaman could be a druid subclass. Give them a familiar like spirit creature, with some subclass features that interact with spirits or give a spirit flavor.

I am excited to see if they come up with more artificer/alchemist options. What i would love to see is Clockwork Mage style artificer.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads