D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

Oofta

Legend
Agreed but past can be prologue. If they can catch a cultural wave like Pirates of the Caribbean (which everyone expected to be awful, but was actually a very fun romp) then that would be awesome (I don't think we should expect another LotR from D&D). But if it was easy, everyone would be doing it... :)

In my opinion, for example, The Last Jedi was terrible (and I consider myself a Star Wars fan), and I'm far from alone, so even with all the money and momentum in the world a movie can fail (of course TLJ is raking in the cash, because Star Wars, but the word of mouth is not trending well).

What movie are you talking about? The one that came in second for opening weekend sales? The one where the movie sales went up over the weekend? The one with a metascore of 86 on IMDB and a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes? All I can say is that I think TLJ was one of the best star wars movie to date, so expect opinions to vary. But I really don't want to get into that, you're entitled to your opinion.

As far as a D&D movie, there's a fair amount of silliness in D&D that we just kind of accept (especially things from 4E like Genasi and Shardminds, although Tabaxi are right up there). Some movies embrace that silliness ala Guardians of the Galaxy (a talking raccoon? Really?) while others try to be overly serious about it (the WOW movie, like I mentioned before).

Hopefully they find the right balance or at least make a fun movie. I'll be OK if it's decent even if it's not a blockbuster success. But making any judgement on a movie that's years away is kind of like saying car X from company Y will be horrible because the Yugo was a bad car. We have no way of knowing.

There is still time to get Michael Bay to direct, so we can permanently solve "the ranger issue", because if MB directed it, the ranger would be an Airborne Ranger*, and 6e's ranger will clearly be based off the movie ranger.

* I have no idea what that will mean mechanically.

On a slightly more serious vein, if there is going to be a 6e, my Magic 8 Ball says the first real chance for it will be right after the movie (if the movie is viewed as a success), and it will make D&D more like the movie.

aco175

Legend
I always found the problem was them trying too hard. Some of the spell effects was ok with a rams head for the Ring of the Ram, but I think they spoke the name of the spell when they case it. If they can have the look and feel of Lord of the Rings instead of Flash Gordon, I think it would be better. I liked Guardians of the Galaxy and find lots of humor in gaming as well. I hope they can pull it off and not try too hard.

jgsugden

Legend
There is an RA Salvatore Script about Drizzt that was written for a TV series (and theoretically considered for a movie franchise) that never saw the light of day. If they were going to do Icewind Dale, Salvatore would be attached in name right now. I am betting that we get original PCs and it is set in the modern Realms - although I would greatly prefer that they set the entire thing in the original boxed set era of the Realms.

If it's anything as good as Guardians of the Galaxy - including the self-effacing humour, which will be important in reassuring casual viewers that D&D fans don't take themselves too seriously - then it'll be perfect.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Random fact. [FONT=Graphik Web, Arial, sans-serif]New Line's movie in 2000 grossed $33 million worldwide. So about the same amount as the North American RPG market in one year.[/FONT]

$33 million is not a very good return on your money when you have to spend $45 million to earn it.

ShadowCat5

Banned
Banned
The third movie, Book of Vile Darkness was ok I thought. Not pay $8-10 or whatever it is now to watch a flick, but it was watchable.

Not sure why they just don't do the Icewind Dale Trilogy. I'd buy the whole set and the extended edition cash grabs in 4K afterward.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If it's anything as good as Guardians of the Galaxy - including the self-effacing humour, which will be important in reassuring casual viewers that D&D fans don't take themselves too seriously - then it'll be perfect.
I really can't think of any movie that better captures my tonal experience of D&D or RPGs in general.

Remove ads

Remove ads