• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New D&D Next Packet Is Available

innerdude

Legend
The problem with putting one of those big, beefy arms back on Allosaurus is that it looks really good coming out of the back of his neck there. Consequently, the Allosaurus majesty ratio, relative to other dinosaurs, is completely unbalanced. That utterly compromises the IRL implied (?) setting of Tyrannosaurus Rex being the king of dinosaurs. As such, if you must go that route then you would have to give T Rex either wingalings or his V's would have to be an order of magnitude more consummate than Allosaurus's V's. At this point, its just escalation. An order of magnitude more consummate V's would lead to his entire body being covered with spinities and angry eyebrows. Yes, that is a lot of majesty but where does it end? When does a dinosaur stop being a dinosaur?

Yes, but then I could employ some chiaroscuro shading to improve the methods of your consummate V's. But then again, as everyone knows, dinosaurs lack the requisite anatomy to produce burnination, for when one burninates the countryside, one must apply the proper techniques to achieve maximum burnination of peasants and thatched-roof cottages.

Last edited:

Manabarbs

Explorer
Just as a heads up thing, Mearls did tweet that if this system is something that people think is working out, Druids will get more forms. Not specified (or even necessarily decided) whether you'll get every form, or have to choose, but if you're not a dog person you won't be stuck with only hound as your option.

Greg K

Legend
Maybe it's just me, but after reading the druid section, I feel like the forms are just begging to be folded into spells. So instead of "Form of the Hound" being called out as a class ability, it's just a 1st level druid spell.

That way, the pure healer, the pure blaster, and the pure shapeshifter can exist in harmony along with all their mixed options. And the circles can work in a consistent manner, which isn't a huge deal, but would make me feel better.

That and, if were to decide to run 5e, I can ban Shape of the Dire Beast, Shape of the Behmoth and Enhanced form simply by banning the spells rather than banning them and trying to think of something to replace them. Plus, I want all druids to have the option for changing into a bear or large cat depending upon their home terrain rather than this lame artificial divide decided upon by the designers.

Bow_Seat

First Post
That and, if were to decide to run 5e, I can ban Shape of the Dire Beast, Shape of the Behmoth and Enhanced form simply by banning the spells rather than banning them and trying to think of something to replace them. Plus, I want all druids to have the option for changing into a bear or large cat depending upon their home terrain rather than this lame artificial divide decided upon by the designers.

Honestly I really don't think it matters. They should just give you 'form of the [insert stat block here]'
you can choose what to call the thing.
If you want the stats, size, attacks, and movement to better represent your chosen animal then you may be out of luck because they will need to balance the forms with the level that you get them with.

alternatively they could make all the forms available at level 1. you choose which form you get. then, at higher levels you get to choose extra forms. If they did this then they would have to create statblocks for the forms that scale with level, but some of them already do that (dire beast) so that's not too hard.

Edit: I think that what people want from the druid is a pretty easy fix that won't change the base way that the class functions or feels.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
As a druid, you need all the basic modes of transportation for recon and scouting and spying purposes, but not at level 1. So I like their implementation that you get a flying form at 6th level, slightly behind when a wizard would get Fly, but the duration is 2 hours + druid level, which is way better. Fly requires concentration on its own and lasts until you drop it or one hour is done, so that's a good compromise with earlier editions where e.g. AD&D was quite long, but 4e was utter phooey for the exploration pillar of gameplay (5 minutes!! for a level 16 utility power. pox on that). At least in this edition you are limited while you are flying, so it's good for recon, exploration, but you're not raining down terror from the sky so much.

Wait, can you cast new spells while concentrating on another one? Can't remember. If so, then wizards are still blasty sky gods (which I like!), but there's still a very good reason to have a druid in your party. Loved EQ druids, D&D ones not so much. One of my best friends tried playing a 4e one and it was terrrrrrrrrible. It was complete fluff! that changed nothing about your character. At least this way, it makes sense that you actually change into the target animal, and it's not merely cosmetic. PC: I turn into a fish but I can't swim!!! I turn into a bird that's nothing but a big, fat, stupid chicken that can't fly or even lay eggs for the party breakfast.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
You can't cast other spells that require concentration, if i remember correctly.

You are correct.

After spending time reading over the spells and rules for magic, the magic system is becoming my favorite in D&D history. Did anyone else notice that the cure spells have finally been truncated into Cure Wounds that can be cast at higher levels?

variant

Adventurer
My biggest complaint with the packet right now is that the only option for the Ranger is spellcasting and that Rangers 'protect the wilderness'. The whole 'protect the wilderness' schtick is the Druid. Rangers are suppose to be the people that protect civilization from the wilderness, specifically from the monsters within the wilderness. They could expand the Ranger with more mundane, but effective survival abilities such as herbalism and favored terrain.

The second complaint I have is the Paladin naming conventions. I like that the Warden and Blackguard is there, but the problem is neither of those are Paladins. What is described as a Cavalier is a Paladin. I think they need to revise the name of the class.

The third complaint I have is the lack of spell progression for the spellcasters after level 16 and most other classes don't really obtain anything new as well.

Last edited:

Bow_Seat

First Post
My biggest complaint with the packet right now is that the only option for the Ranger is spellcasting and that Rangers 'protect the wilderness'. The whole 'protect the wilderness' schtick is the Druid. Rangers are suppose to be the people that protect civilization from the wilderness, specifically from the monsters within the wilderness. They could expand the Ranger with more mundane, but effective survival abilities such as herbalism and favored terrain.

The third complaint I have is the lack of spell progression for the spellcasters after level 16 and most other classes don't really obtain anything new as well.

I think that having the ranger be a spell caster is an important way to say that he isn't just a fighter, and it gives him a different way to approach things. YMMV

Your second point is semantics so it's probably the easiest fix of all time.

The spells and progression past level 16 aren't really done yet. WotC is still debating how things might work with prestige/destiny/epic abilities and the like

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads