• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New D&D Survey

Shroomy

Adventurer
OK, thanks! I got the distinct impression from the blurb that they only wanted us to take it if we had bought the PH2.

They kind of do, or at least, they want people who are familiar with the book. Other than the PHB2 questions, the rest is mostly demographics.

Cadfan

First Post
They should adjust their survey so that its more clear how it means to measure people who don't own a hardcopy of the PHB II, but who do have a D&D Insider subscription. I "use" the PHB II, but I can't answer questions about its organization or format.

amysrevenge

First Post
I steered my answers toward "I purchased the book; I use stuff from the book every session; I never bring the book to the table as a reference; I have never read the non-crunch sections and therefore have no opinion of them".

BlightCrawler

First Post
they got it wrong in question #1.

1edADnD was not released in 1974.
i answered other for that one.

It doesn't say AD&D, it says D&D. The problem is with the "Second Edition" of D&D since I don't recall them being labelled as such (weren't there 3 or 4 editions of "D&D" before it was dropped in favor of full AD&D support?) and the fact that they are trying to sidestep the confusing editions of D&D and AD&D and apparently treat oD&D and 1E AD&D as the same thing?

Contrarian

First Post
Are you surprised that they spend their survey-dollars on people who actually play their game?

No.

I'm surprised they let me finish the survey. I expected a "drop dead" message the screen after saying I don't use any 4E books, but it went ahead and asked some background questions about my age and whether I go to game conventions.

No doubt I've contributed to a hilarious bar graph of "Average Player Ages," where the bar for First Edition players is 2 or 3 times the height of the bar for Fourth Edition players. One almost wonders why they care what 1E players are up to.

Jack99

Adventurer
No.

I'm surprised they let me finish the survey. I expected a "drop dead" message the screen after saying I don't use any 4E books, but it went ahead and asked some background questions about my age and whether I go to game conventions.

No doubt I've contributed to a hilarious bar graph of "Average Player Ages," where the bar for First Edition players is 2 or 3 times the height of the bar for Fourth Edition players. One almost wonders why they care what 1E players are up to.

Was that a dig at 4e players, or a compliment to WotC for bringing in new blood so that one can actually get to play with someone who isn't nearly retired?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Not a bad little survey.

My impression, based on the questions about the PHB2, was that they wanted to get a sense of what had gained some traction, and why, as well as get some pointers on their overall read-ability. I told them I liked the Deva and the Gnome, the Bard and the Barbarian, and that most of the PHB2 was really un-readable. ;)

Conspiracy theories?

1. They want to find out what races and classes people liked, so they can work the whole "traction" angle on them (what causes traction? who uses traction? how can we milk the most cash from the traction of devas and avengers?)
  2. They want to make an effort to improve the readability/fluff-ratio of future 4e books (perhaps diminish the "Wall Of Powers" effect).

...that's all MY overly suspicious mind could generate! I think those are both very worthy goals, honestly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads