• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New D&D Terminology

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
A player in my former game coined the term "Ghetto Crit." That's when you roll maximum damage on a normal (non-critical) hit.

cignus_pfaccari in another thread called radiation + necrotic damage "Gamma Radiation." I like that.

What other new terms have sprouted from D&D lately?

weem

First Post
A player in my former game coined the term "Ghetto Crit." That's when you roll maximum damage on a normal (non-critical) hit.

We've been saying that in our group for quite a while after I heard it from who knows where, hehe - I'm sure others do as well because wherever I heard from came from some video online or somewhere around here.

Same with ghetto fail for rolling one's on damage :(

<edit>

Found some references to it as far back as 2007-08 - still don't recall when/where I first heard it though

</edit>

Last edited:

weem

First Post
How about "Feat Tax"?

It seems like something that could have been around a while, but I didn't hear it until 4e was out. Not that I hear everything immediately of course, hence the question - but in quick search, I see all 4e references (at least those related to D&D).

Was this term relevant/around with 3-3.5? I don't recall.

TheClone

First Post
How about "Feat Tax"?

It seems like something that could have been around a while, but I didn't hear it until 4e was out. Not that I hear everything immediately of course, hence the question - but in quick search, I see all 4e references (at least those related to D&D).

Was this term relevant/around with 3-3.5? I don't recall.

Can't remember to have heard it when 4e was not out. I guess 3e didn't have something which would be a feat tax, because it was less balanced.

FireLance

Legend
Can't remember to have heard it when 4e was not out. I guess 3e didn't have something which would be a feat tax, because it was less balanced.
I would say that 3E had feat taxes, but since the characters were more varied, the feats that different characters found to be useful (even essential) would also be quite different. For example, a melee rogue might want Weapon Finesse, but a multiclassed spellcaster might pick up Practised Spellcaster instead.

In 4E, the same feats keep cropping up because character mechanics are more unified. For example, every character gains the half-level bonus to attacks and defenses, so Weapon/Implement Expertise and Paragon/Epic Defenses become more generally useful and more common picks.

FireLance

Legend
To address the OP:

My gaming group has started to use the word "daily" as a verb that means to use a daily power. Example: "That guy looks dangerous. I daily him."

A closely associated term is "daily spam", which means that all the PCs unleash all their daily abilities in an encounter. Daily spams usually occur after the players think they should take an extended rest after an encounter, or they believe the encounter is the final one in the adventure.

Feat Tax was definitely around in 3rd edition-- I would say it was directly related to qualifications for certain prestige classes. For example, I had a character that was trying to qualify for Shadowdancer, and I needed to get Perform:Dance (whcih I hadn't picked back at 1st level..what?).

Ghetto crit is very common parlance. We started calling it a "hobo crit" after someone took offense, and now.. Hobo Crit seems funnier to me.

Minionized! We use that one too. I think I first heard it DDXP.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I would happily use "Minionized" but none of my DM's have ever informed us when the monsters had only one hit point left.

But my DM turn is coming up. B-)

Remove ads