• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Design and Development: Pantheon

pawsplay

Hero
I prefer Heironeous to Bahamut. For all that he appears in final fantasy I, to me he's still a big silvery dragon. But then, I wasn't a big fan of the above mentioned Prestige class, so maybe he's not meant for me.

Masquerade said:
This is my favorite part. One step toward making new races easier to introduce.
Hear Hear, I can't stand 'racial pantheons' and esp the 3E rule that you have to be an elf to be a cleric of an 'elf god' but not vice versa for all the other (human?) gods left

Henry

Autoexreginated
mach1.9pants said:
Hear Hear, I can't stand 'racial pantheons' and esp the 3E rule that you have to be an elf to be a cleric of an 'elf god' but not vice versa for all the other (human?) gods left

I think it's fine for the "default" game, as it is indeed better than a bunch of placeholder names, but for a developed campaign world, it really doesn't make sense. In real life, human beings had a hard enough time agreeing on religions and reducing pantheons, so having honest-to-goodness different races have different pantheons makes much more sense to me. Even Dragonlance in its later source material came up with different names and aspects for different peoples to worship the same set of gods, because one pantheon known to all peoples and races by the same names, over thousands of years, really stretches a sense of suspension of disbelief too far for me.

Now, as for the info on Bane being a "default" deity? YES! WOOHOO! My gaming group will be happy to hear that. :) (I'm playing a Crusader of Bane in an FR game even now.)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Kunimatyu said:
Yeah, well, he's a snake god in Conan, and Conan could kick Egyptian mythology's ass.
QFT.

Set is an excellent snake god because people tend to think he is a snake god. Historical accuracy can kiss my Druid's Wildshape.

Cheers, -- N

Rechan

Adventurer
DandD said:
Well, there's a difference between Set, and Seth. :D
Usually because whenever I hear the name "Seth", I think a guy who's got tattoos and wants to crash on my couch, or someone who makes really funny tv shows.

pawsplay

Hero
Rechan said:
Usually because whenever I hear the name "Seth", I think a guy who's got tattoos and wants to crash on my couch, or someone who makes really funny tv shows.

I seem to remember some story about Conan defeating Seth Green.

Remove ads