• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New DM and virgin players

Superj3nius

First Post
My friends haven't played D&D 3.5 (or any D&D for that matter) and I am DMing a little campaign to the 5th level. I am running a variation of the Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde. It's the same world and towns and backstory. This is my first time DMing, ;) however I have played up to the 8th level in other campaigns. I was wondering on ways to make the campaign a little more fun. They aren't serious gamers and the closest thing I have to an experienced player is people who have played Fallout 3.:-S I want to slowly make things more D&D esque but at the begining I want to make it lighter on the rules and what not. Though, this leads to difficulties, should I have traps:devil: (and have them learn the hard way about D&D)? Should my Challenge ratings for enemies be easier? I don't think the spellcaster will be experienced in anything so I am kinda on counting him acting as a sorcerer who fights. Should I throw in magic weapons (to add more excitement to the game)? I have a lot of questions and I am willing to accept any help I can get. Thanks :lol:

BENINHB

First Post
I suggest starting at level 1 with the basics. This will make them appreciate the goodies they pick up along the way.

I also don't always go by the XP per level chart, especially at low levels. Have them run a couple encounter then give them a level and some items. Do this til level 3 or 4 to get them used to the game and to make them excited about all the fun toys they have to play with. After that you can turn up the difficultly and start to bring the pain.

Incanur

First Post
3.5 D&D character are rather pathetic during the first few levels. Simple animals (and sometimes basic skill chicks) can present a serious threat. Make sure the player realize they aren't puissant heroes just yet. My introductory D&D experience involved getting sick from fighting dire rats and failing a lot of climb checks. Not the stuff of legends. I think the game gets much better from level 3 and on, so I second the advice to motor through levels 1 and 2.

Gorith

First Post
I would start them at lvl1 as already started. Also while some on the forums will most likely disagree but my suggestion is to NOT give kill experience I find that kill XP sometimes acts with virgin players encourage them to kill/muscle through obstacles rather than to roleplay/think through situations. This isn't always the case but In my time as a GM (started roleplaying in 96 ran my first game rifts in 98) I've seen it happen many times.

DumbPaladin

First Post
New players? New DM?

Sounds like a recipe for fun where pretty much anything can happen. Be willing to get creative, focus on telling a good story and making sure the players have fun, and I'm pretty sure you'll be set. The other advice above is pretty good too ... but honestly, I'd say worry LESS about the rules and more about the "RP" of the RPG.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I might even start them out for the first two or three sessions with VERY light rules ala microlight 20 and then when they hit 2nd level have them redo their characters for "full" dnd.

Then again, that might be too confusing, so maybe not...

Anyway, I disagree with "motoring through" the lowest levels for NEW players. They're confused enough learning what's on their character sheets; don't add more stuff til they've got a handle on what's there now. Especially if you're only playing 5 levels worth, racing past the early levels can be very frustrating.

Start small. Give them short, manageable goals (kill the rats in the basement of the inn) and then slowly expand (there's a secret door in the basement, or a map drawn on the basement wall leads to a lost treasure spot).

Let them experience MANY of the "early player" tropes. There's nothing more fun than the wizard who messes up on sleep and puts the fighter out... or the cleric who disintegrates his first undead... or the fighter who manages to slay a goblin while he has only 1 hp remaining.

Teach them why they should always carry a 10' pole (pit traps?) and what flaming oil is for (gelatinous cube, anyone?). You and they will have a blast taking the time to get to know the game.

Also, let them roleplay a LOT. Give them time to chat up the innkeeper, the cleric at the temple, and the local store owner. They may spend half an hour deciding whether or not(!) to set watches the first night they camp out (If they don't, you know what your next scenario will entail, right?).

Don't waste this precious "first time" racing to get them to third level. Savor it. It will never happen again.

Incanur

First Post
If they know what they're getting into, okay, enjoy the peculiar charms of levels 1-2. But playing a character who should legitimately fear 1d4+1 house cats isn't what a lot of folks have mind when they think fantasy roleplaying. When you want to be a hero or even a competent warrior/mage/whatever, getting knocked around by over-sized rats doesn't get the job done.

Dross

Explorer
Keep it simple, maybe to PHB only. niche rules like grapple and maybe disarm & trip can be forgotten until later.

First couple of battle should be considered "trial runs" with simple foes, then gradually up the tactical levels to what is reasonable for that foe. Expect these to go slowly until experience kicks in

It might be worth while to ask what the player wants to play without reference to a class. then you can say:this class is for you (and maybe even suggest skill sets). Have the players learn what their character can do, do not worry about all the other stuff, that will come through playing.

I'd only have traps if there was someone in the party with the appropriate skills (as their moment to be in the spotlight).

Sorrowdusk

First Post
3.5 D&D character are rather pathetic during the first few levels. Simple animals (and sometimes basic skill chicks) can present a serious threat. Make sure the player realize they aren't puissant heroes just yet. My introductory D&D experience involved getting sick from fighting dire rats and failing a lot of climb checks. Not the stuff of legends. I think the game gets much better from level 3 and on, so I second the advice to motor through levels 1 and 2.

Its a personal preference of mine to start at lvl 5; because thats where the classes really begin to differentiate between each other and you get a sample of what they are supposed to do.

My first DM was of the same mind. Only LATER did I play at 1st lvl twice, and it SUUUH-KED. (Not plot wise, just mechanically.)

Doctor DM

First Post
As the DM who ran YOU through the Shattered Gates, I have 2 pieces of advice:

1: Definitely modify the Dungeons. One thing I really didn't like about that adventure was that there was a combat encounter in EVERY SINGLE ROOM. You don't need that. You get too much of a plodding feeling of "Next room. Kill monsters. On to the next room. Kill monsters. Next room, ect." It takes the excitement out of combat.

2: Expect crazy things from the players. When we played that I believe you guys captured all the goblins in the first dungeon and made them your slaves, and also burglarized most of Sumberton. Players do weird things you don't expect, so be ready to wing it.

But overall I think it's a good mini campaign for beginners, and the Valley setting is a GREAT base for ideas.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads