• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New DM Looking for tips hoping to run starter set with kids 9-12

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
In addition to all the good advices already provided, i'd add this;

Use talking Stuff, Lots of it! Animals, weapons or objects of all sort and watch their eyes grows in excitement as they interact with them!!!

My daughters love that a lot :cool:

discoDM

Explorer
Wow, thanks for all the guidance. It will be a little while before the set arrives and I have a chance to run it, but you've given me tons to think about. I will definitely report back once I've got something to report.

Alphastream

Adventurer
I purchased the Starter Set and unexpectedly the neighborhood kids wanted to try it. We had kids of ages 7, 8, 10, 11, and 12. We played in two sessions. Session 1 handled the ambush and ended with starting to track the last goblin. Session 2 explored about half of the Cragmaw Hideout.

The kids had a great time. They were full of creativity and often would state their conjecture (even wildly off-base guesses as to the plot).

In running I often had to deal with them speaking over one another. Sometimes it was okay, just suggestions. Other times it was contrary or unrelated to what the other kid was saying. I generally let them do this for a bit, then focused everyone on listening to the current person. If I had heard something worthwhile in the interruption I might say something like, "your team members had other ideas, do you want to solicit their help or go with your current plan?" Overall, this was minor and just something to keep under control.

A couple of times the kids considered lawless behavior. They realized they could steal the wagon, for example. Here we paused to talk about their characters and what they believed in. Bonds and other Inspiration-related rules helped to reign them in, especially when I pointed out how Inspiration could grant Advantage on a roll. I also created a personal relationship between the dwarven cleric and their employer, making it more likely they wanted to both stay true to the mission with the caravan and help them when they learn their fate.

The kids did not have issues with the rules. Rather than go over their character sheet up front, I would play and then show them how to do something when it was relevant. I copied the character sheets so I had a reference and could look up their info and help them. "See this big rectangle here?", I would say pointing, "that's your skills. You always roll d20 and add or subtract this number next to the skill name."

Spells are tricky. It took a while for them to understand the difference between cantrips, spell lists, memorized spells, and spell slots. Here it might be better to review this with spell casters up front. Quickly summarize each spell, have them circle the spells they want to have memorized today, and remind them that for 1st level spells they get two castings. I would have the older kid look up her spell info, but for the younger ones I would look it up for them just to save time. For the next session I'm going to make a cheat sheet... it wastes time to look spells up.

Kids are creative. I tried to say "yes" or "yes, and" when possible so the game was fun and reacting to them. If they want to set a trap for the goblins, sure, make a skill check and how well it plays out is driven by that role. Want to try to convince the wolves to help? Sure, but it takes a really good roll or great ideas on how to achieve that.

I had a lot of fun and look forward to another session this week. Two of the kids are mine, and they were both really excited by the game. Nice to see a whole neighborhood of kids speaking positively about D&D - and all of them but one are younger than I was when I first played D&D!

JoeBlank

Explorer
A lot of great advice has been given already, so I won't rehash it all. Mostly I would say don't underestimate kids. Many of them will "get" roleplaying more than adults.

Call me crazy, but I once asked for similar advice here on ENWorld when my oldest was not yet 6. Gygax responded, and I kept his words as my .sig: "I urge you to make up a simplified version of the D&D game for play with as many of [your children] as are now willing and able to play. The thrill of the adventure and rolling of the dice is likely to make them devoted gamers ever after."

I took his advice, and posted about some of the initial results over 10 years ago: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?80425-Advice-First-D-amp-D-with-sons-ages-5-and-3

Today, my oldest two are not especially into RPGs, but my youngest who just turned 12 has been to a few local game days, and is always chomping at the bit to play. I may have to get a game together for him and some of his friends, and will likely use the Starter Set.

Alphastream

Adventurer
Because someone asked, yes, D&D is rated for ages 12+. I have run for kids younger than that several times over the past few years and have approval from the neighborhood parents. I would advise anyone wanting to run for kids to also get approval. I think it is important when running for kids to tone down violence, keep morality clear, and to listen carefully to kids so you know if things are too scary/violent/etc. I often change things on the fly to make them suitable for younger audiences (no torture, details of evil, etc.).

In a good sign, my son had my wife call me to ask where the adventure was. He wanted to run the adventure as DM while I was away on a brief business trip. I had taken it with me to run it at a gaming store during my trip. Clearly, the Starter Set has pleased the kids!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
In a good sign, my son had my wife call me to ask where the adventure was. He wanted to run the adventure as DM while I was away on a brief business trip. I had taken it with me to run it at a gaming store during my trip. Clearly, the Starter Set has pleased the kids!

It's a great feeling when your kid wants to run an adventure because he (or she) has had so much fun playing with you. One kid was late for my son's tenth birthday, so he decided to run a game while they were waiting.It was amazing to watch. (The game was Kobolds ate my Baby; the game lasted 45-60 minutes and was the highlight of the day, for me and him.)

jadrax

Adventurer
I just wanted to let everyone know that I ran the Lost Mines of Phandelver with the kids over the weekend and they are hooked. They cleared out the Cragmaw hideout and can't wait to continue. Thanks to everyone that contributed some tips.

Excellent!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I just wanted to let everyone know that I ran the Lost Mines of Phandelver with the kids over the weekend and they are hooked. They cleared out the Cragmaw hideout and can't wait to continue. Thanks to everyone that contributed some tips.

great to hear! yay for actual play!

Remove ads