• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New DM Looking for tips hoping to run starter set with kids 9-12

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I played when I was 5 ...

keep it simple
keep it focused on having fun
kids like random tables; let them roll - random treasure! random encounter! random stats!
Keep the book keeping low
dont squash em till they get hooked (couple sessions) then start being a bit tougher

I think the healing is too complex. I would remove HD and just you have full HP on a rest. introduce this as they learn
spells, memorization and spell slots - again probably too complex (depending on age and maturity) simplify it if you can.
Keep complex conditions and actions to a min. again keep it super simple. 5th is already pretty good with this.

Try to not be a rules lawyer with kids let the break it to keep it simple and flowing. You dont want to break their interest as you look up a rule or try to explain some timing issue with a reaction.

If the kid asks "can i do this?" say make a insert X check and let them.

I once taught some 9-10 year olds how to play and used candy for the monsters. When they killed one they got to eat it. Props. Kids love em.

dont have too many kids playing at once I ahve found. They can get bored fast. keep the game length short till they seem super into it.

Last edited:

discoDM

Explorer
great to hear! yay for actual play!

Just want to jump in and let you know that we're already talking Hoard of the Dragon Queen. The kids don't realize that they aren't even 1/2 through the starter adventure yet so they've been asking about what's next. I told them that Hoard of the Dragon Queen will be showing up some time around mid August. They are excited to run it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads