• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New DM needing help with a hook

3ArmSally

First Post
Someone (bystander, dude-with-a-grudge, conspirator with the kidnappers, etc.) accuses the PCs of being involved. Now they have to clear their name. It lights a fire under their butts and creates a linear entrance into a nuanced campaign. To clear their names they'll have to confront the kidnappers and a hostage situation could lead to roleplay/exposition explaining more plot details.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Plot twist! The princess is actually a doppleganger hired by the Baron (at an exorbitant rate). The baron hires the PCs (this has to be kept ultra secret, after all) to secretly hide away his daughter into town C, where she'll be safe.

Even more plot twist! The kidnappers are the baron's own men, who are staging a kidnapping in order to draw support for the resistance.

GiggaLord

First Post
Someone (bystander, dude-with-a-grudge, conspirator with the kidnappers, etc.) accuses the PCs of being involved. Now they have to clear their name. It lights a fire under their butts and creates a linear entrance into a nuanced campaign. To clear their names they'll have to confront the kidnappers and a hostage situation could lead to roleplay/exposition explaining more plot details.

This idea has crossed my mind, and is a very likely possibility depending on the PC's actions.

GiggaLord

First Post

This idea has crossed my mind, and is a very likely possibility depending on the PC's actions. I'll see what happens this weekend. Thank you all so much for the help!

Quickleaf

Legend
Hello everyone!
Welcome to ENWorld :)

During the wedding, the angry crowds storm the wedding, in the confusion, the King of nation B is murdered, the Baron is wounded, and the Baron's daughter is kidnapped along with the Prince.
The rebellion of the townsfolk is quelled, but the men seen kidnapping the Prince and daughter were seen fleeing in the direction of the mine just north of town.

My Problem: I don't have anything that would make the PC's want to go after them. I may just have writer's block at the moment, but I can't think of why anyone there by happenstance would want to help.

Any and all advice is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

I put emphasis on "in the confusion" because I think the angry crowd storming the wedding is just your DM device to pull off plot-level stuff in such a way that the PCs have no control over (murdering of King B, wounding of Baron, and kidnap of Baron's daughter).

Am I reading that right?

If that's your plan, I suggest either:

(a) Being transparent with your players about what you're planning and what they'd like their motivation to be for pursuing the kidnappers to the mines. Let them know you have a scene you want to frame (which they'll have no control over) and ask for their ideas of their PCs' involvement.

(b) Starting in the midst of the confusion, and very soon after starting play (read: minutes) reveal the murder/kidnapping, and have a quest-giver direct them to go after the kidnappers.

Otherwise, well...it sounds like you have experienced players who've played a campaign with you in the same setting before...and genre-savvy players smell out DM shenanigans from a mile away in my experience.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Get your players to buy into the story. They create character background that ties them into the story.
So now they are part of the Kings Guard and are honor bound to rescue the Princess.

Or they are opposed to the evil necromancer that has arranged this to cause a war so he can mop up the weakened kingdoms.

Perhaps they are the secret inquisition that work for the Archon and they have some inside knowledge but not proof and in the meanwhile must do their best to stop the war.

There are a variety of reasons to get involved.

- The PCs are in town to make sure the wedding goes smoothly. With a ruined wedding the only chance to save their reputations (and possibly their heads!) is to recover the princess.

- After the event, a large reward is offered for the safe return of the princess. A perfect mercenary rescue.

- Some no good troublemaker accuses the PCs of being behind the kidnapping. A mob soon forms to make them pay!

- The PCs require a favor from the King and rescuing his daughter is the perfect way to make sure that he won't say no.

- The old mine is rumored to be a stash house for a smuggling operation. The pretense of a princess rescue mission is a great cover story to use while going to see what loot the mine holds.

Remove ads