• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New DM Needs Module Deviation Advice

pawned79

First Post
I'm DMing the Sunless Citadel Module for two friends of mine, one of which is a veterain DM. I've come to a point where I feel I want to deviate and start doing something different. I'm trying to decide if that is the best thing for me or not. I want to be a good DM in the long run. Should I discipline myself and finish a module by the book? Or should I go with how I feel and risk making things worse? What do you think?

Patrick

Numion

First Post
pawned79 said:
I'm DMing the Sunless Citadel Module for two friends of mine, one of which is a veterain DM. I've come to a point where I feel I want to deviate and start doing something different. I'm trying to decide if that is the best thing for me or not. I want to be a good DM in the long run. Should I discipline myself and finish a module by the book? Or should I go with how I feel and risk making things worse? What do you think?

Are you thinking of dropping the whole adventure half-way through, or were you just going to modify it? You might want to try minor modifications at first, for example adding an NPC that you find intresting. It might break the repetitiveness of the adventure somewhat. Good idea also would be to change the final encounter, at least; we found it a bit anticlimatic, perhaps.

Dropping the adventure works best, of course, if your players aren't too intrested in it.

Good luck!

Arravis

First Post
I've been DM'ng and playing D&D since 1982 (or was it 83... I can't quite remember) and I've never successfully run an entire module "by the book". Of course, I can count the number of module's I've actually run in one hand... so it's not alot. I tend to use them as a loose basis for my game, cutting/trimming/changing things as needed or only grabbing a few portions. The few time's i've actually used a module, I rarely use more then 50% of the written material. But, that's just me...

Last edited:

Gizzard

First Post
I would start by tinkering, and then expand (or contract, if things go badly) from there.

Good idea also would be to change the final encounter, at least; we found it a bit anticlimatic, perhaps.

I'd definitely give the final encounter a bit of thought. It works better if the villian can give his "Before I kill you Mr. Bond..." speech so you understand whats been going on in the module so far. If he doesnt get to give his speech, then it falls a bit flat.

Also, I've seen two different DMs run this encounter, and while both had trouble integrating the villians soliliquy, one of them was able to play the villians character class much more effectively in terms of tactics and theme. You might want to think this angle through also.

ced1106

Explorer
I've cut down 32 and 64-page modules down to one-evening one-shots. The easiest parts to edit out are, of course, the random encounter charts and combats. The plot stays unchanged.

But, sure, deviate. I've heard enough comments on the Sunless Citadel that there's room for improvement. Just as long as there's some sort of consistency and you and your players are having fun, you'll do fine.

If you want a module that you can use as an example of "doing everything but not straying from the plot", pick up Necromancer Game's "Siege of Durgam's Folly". Very good design, yet not too complex for new GMs.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads