• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New DM Problem: Describing Attacks.

Mitchbones

First Post
As stated in my title I am a noobie DM. I don't like to say "He hits for 5 damage", a little flavor always gets my characters attention. Sadly, I'm saying the same thing over and over, and having problems describing the players and the 'monsters' attacks. I usually say "Your greatax decapitates the orc" or "Slashes its chest open". I need some jazz in my combat descriptions :)

(its in humor, cause they can be funny.)

Hussar

Legend
I have the same problem. The rogue in my party is a halfling that uses daggers. There's only so many times I can say, "Yolanda buries a dagger in the creature's eye and it falls" before it gets obvious.

The problem is, what else can a halfling's dagger do that could kill a large (or bigger) creature?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Mitchbones said:
Maybe, if it was a sneak attack it slit its throat?

Thanks for the link mark.

No prob. I assume you already have a thesaurus and have made a few lists of synonyms for the three types of weapon damage; piercing, bludgeoning, and slashing? Then maybe a list with synonyms for and adjectives that describe fire, cold, electric, acid, and sonic damage?

Finster

First Post
The thesaurus thing is an awesome idea that I never thought of before!
Maybe I could create a chart with columns like the Monty Python insult list I saw floating around here somewhere. I think it went something like Adjective/Adjective/Noun (eg Nearsighted Bucktooth Proctologist). I wonder if that would work? It would certainly eleviate some of the "on the fly burden".

Up until now I have just been reading a lot of the old Conan books and getting ideas for gory combat descriptions from them.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
My players try to use my combat descriptions against me. "well you said that he swung this huge blow that nearly took him off his feet...he can't get an opportunity attack now!". God it annoys me.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Do whatever comes naturally to you. I've seen DMs who aren't that good at description reaching for a colorful description at the table because they think they should, and it comes off as forced. Minimal description is better than a forced one.

Also, get the players to describe their attacks. You only need to describe what effect it has on the baddie.

Another idea: get some small stickers and label them head, body, left arm etc, and then stick them on a die. You have your own hit location die now. You can do it with whatever sided die strikes your fancy. d6 is simplest, but with more sides you can add "chest, back, groin etc" (BTW, I believe you can buy these kinds of dice too) The players will have to understand that this is just for fun/flavor and has no bearing on the mechanics ("no he doesn't get a minus just because you hit him in the head").

More fun can be had when everyone uses one. Just roll it alongside the d20 when attacking. Even when you miss, at least you know what body part you grazed with your axe. When someone lands a killing blow you can describe various limbs lopped off, etc.

I do this for my C&C group and its fun.

Remove ads