• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New DM, Setting imput and Advice

Zachariah

First Post
Hello guys,
About half a year ago I was introduced to D&D by some friends. Since then we have played several games, but all stopped very shortly after. Now my DM is preparing another, but this time serious CP. The way the DM'ing seemed to work I found quit intriguing, and my DM told me that he would like to play a PC for a change. So I decided to DM and make my own CP.
Now, what is this all about? Well, I have a hard time starting off. It will be an evil CP. I have the global setting (which I will share in a moment), drawn a map of the island on which it will take place (for the most part, might send them to hell and back at some point), the start position of the PC’s and some random idea’s that I would like to implement at some point.
Do you guys have any tips on how to build up a CP, what are the pointers that I should really pay attention to? Any advice on how to stir the PC so that you don’t have to throw in walls of flame and lightning bolts to bring them to a certain point. Just any advice that you feel is important for the creation of a CP is welcome.

I’ll share The Setting, for as far as I have it: The island on which it will take place is actually an old crater. Which was created when a god (don’t know which one yet) battled a pseudonatural creature (An already powerful being with the pseudonatural template) on an island somewhere between two world continents. The god won, and the pseudonatural creature crashed into the ground, or was buried by a huge meteor summoned by the god (not sure yet, but the result is the same). This killed all life in a large radius around the crash. Now several hundreds of years ago humanoids have started the colonize the island/crater for its rich minerals and fertile ground. At some point during the story (fairly in the beginning) there will start to occur attacks. These will be organized attacks by minions and disciples of (probably) Mephistopheles. He is eager to obtain the power of this creature, trying to ascend to a divine being. Or at least something in that direction.

The Island/Crater itself: It has a semi tropical climate and the surrounding sea has a immense strong current and is filled with rocks and whirlpools. This makes it hard to reach. The crater outer wall functions like a dam, keeping the sea water out. The crater formed on an already existing island, so at the east side there are several large mountain’s the overlap the crater ring and create land outside of the crater. From here there runs down a large river, into the crater. This river splits up, one part running to the south-west side of the island forming a lake. The other part runs into the centre of the crater, ending in a large whirlpool. This place is very unnatural. Remnants of the pseudonatural creature radiate a strange aura, which causes rocks to float around above it and mutate plants and creatures around it. This area is totally unknown to the inhabitants (accept for several special chars ofcourse) of the island, because everyone that seems to explore it ends up dead. It’s a feared place.

The Inhabitants: The land is divided into 6 pieces, each controlled by another group/count/ruler. There is a large trading city which is in control of the only accessible part of the island (due to the currents etc.). The city has a ruler and he is trying to establish a kingdom on the island. He controls the largest part of ground on the island. The other 5 parts are ruled by landlords/counts. Most of this lands contain simple villages, 1 or 2 large village/small city, and several mines.
I was also thinking about some ruins that where on the remaining part of the former island, hidden in the mountains. These will contain some encrypted data of the event.

The PC’s (3 players): A rogue (my former DM), he will become a ninja spy at some point. An evil druid, who will become a modified version of the vermin lord. And a fighter/rogue who will become a ghost faced killer and after that continue as fighter. The last one isn’t sure yet, so if anyone would want to advice a class for better game play (although a fighter class is prolly nice), because this player like to play anything most of the time. Best is if it fits the assassin theme somewhat, as the ghost face killer does.
The players will start at level 4. This is because we already played a lot of unfinished CP’s till around level 8 max, so I like to start at level 4 instead. The story behind this is that they are experienced members of an assassin cult. The PC’s will start on a ship. They are on an assignment to kill everyone on board, obtain an item (don’t know yet) and sink the ship. Well during there attacks the ship will go out of control. It will be storming and they get into the current. In the end they will end up on the island, where the CP will continue for them.

Well like I said before, any imput, idea’s and advice is welcome. Also when you have seen things that are against D&D lore or something like it. Just point them out. Keep in mind that it isnt finished yet, this is what I have sofar. If you have read it, thanks for taking the time :)

PS: there is this Vermin Lord class abilitie called Pincer claws, which he gains at class level 8. This doesn’t have a discretion, does anyone know what it does?

Friendless

First Post
You have no arcane spellcasters in the party, so maybe they don't exist at all on this island. Maybe all magic is druidic and the colonies fight each other with armies of dire rats. Your vermin lord (a class I'm not at all familiar with) could become the most sought-after ally on the island. Of course there are lots of vermin because the Rat God's corpse lies at the bottom of the crater. The "king" is actually a wererat descended from these vermin and he's trying to unite the other wererats across the island to help him in his quest for dominion. The corpse of the rat god is guarded by aboleths. So far they have had no reason to cause trouble with the shipping across the lake, but once the wererats start messing with rituals designed to awaken their god they will have to decide what to do.

Zachariah

First Post
The vermin lord is more about insect like vermin. And the god won the battle, its a powerful pseudonatural being that is buried in the cave, somewhere underneath the center whirlpool.
Mephistopheles is trying to optain power from this being. I may implement, in a side quest, the shipment over the lake and see where that goes.

Anyone else any imput?

SavageRobby

First Post
One thing I'd ask/suggest - are if your players are on board for your campaign concept? Have you talked to them about it, and what direction you're headed? If not, you could find them taking the ship and sailing off the island to go exploring. :)

Also, as a starting GM, I'd be careful about setting up scenes to happen "just so" as in your intro part ("the ship will go out of control") - players have a way of throwing a monkey wrench into your carefully planned works, and if you base an entire scenario on situation X happening, and it doesn't, you'll have to juggle things in a way you might not be prepared for.

Last question - have you run a test session as a GM yet? If not, before you actually delve into the campaign, you might consider running one. Its a lot different on the other side of the screen, and it usually takes a little bit to get your bearings.

Zachariah

First Post
I havent talked about the campaign concept, because I want them to know nothing about the island on which they will end up.
About getting them to the island, I had the following plan: They will go after there objective (killing the people on board), while they are at it the ship will get into a storm and the captain no longer can control it (or if they have killed the captain first). The ship will drift into the strong currents from which they are unable to escape. Several hours later they will arive into the calm spot, infront of the trading city on the island. The ship is a wrack, so they end up stuck on the island.
But its good that you pointed it out. Its something that I have been thinking about, how to get them to follow the plan. Its also I good idea to do a test run, I will do this for sure. Thanks :)

SavageRobby

First Post
Think about your intro from a player's perspective. "Wait, I'm supposed to kill everyone on the ship, including the captain? How exactly am I supposed to get home after that?" :confused:

If that is simply the intro to the campaign, you might consider the ole boxed text trick (although some people hate it). Don't RP out a scenario that MUST go a certain way, it will only frustrate your players - just read them that as the intro. Something along the lines of:

"While you're on board a ship where you're supposed to assassinate some of the passengers, a storm blows in. Despite the captain's best efforts, the ship drifts into strong currents and is pulled off course. The captain orders all hands to abandon ship. Your party manages to board a longboat all to themselves, and you all hang on for dear life. When the storm finally abates, you find yourselves drifting into a bay. You think you see masts of other ships and a city on the far side of the bay...."

I'll go back to the original question. Beyond the campaign world itself, have you talked to your players about playing evil characters? I would definitely get buy-in on that. I know, for example, that half my players would rebel at that kind of campaign.

Zachariah

First Post
Well there mission is to steal something on board and leave nothing behind, so they will have to sink the ship and prevent anyone from escaping alive. It is stupid of them to kill the captain, from there perspective. But if they do it or not, wont matter anyway. They will end up on the island either way, because non of the players have an ability or skill that prevents them from getting dragged allong the currents/storm. And the captain will just fail doing so.

What do you think of this? This intro is a place where the players wont be able to influence the outcome. They will start on the ship, knowing there mission. I will try to make these oneway outcome situations as limited as posible though. Now I just need to think of a way how to get up to the main storyline.

Now back to your question: Yes, they want to play an evil campaign. Its there choice. Although I find it harder to think up a good origenal motivation for an evil party to go do certain things.

SavageRobby

First Post
If the intro part isn't critical, you might just handwave it. Or perhaps play out the combat part (killing people), see if they kill the captain, then narrate the crash of the boat based on whether the captain is alive or not. Not to sound preachy, but always remember as a GM the things you hate as a player, and try not to put them through that, not matter how cool your storyline is.

Its easier to come up with campaign ideas if you think of evil people as selfish and amoral, not psychotic. I find its usually easier to motivate evil people; greed and power are easier to count on than honor and altruism. :)

Remove ads