• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New DM

disarray2

First Post
Do you think the best way to start for a new DM would be to use the premade modules?

Would you start with any house rules or just go with what's in the books to start?

Would you limit the players to just the core books or as long as it's published by Wizard, it would be fair game?

Any help would would be appreciated on how to get started and do well from the get go.

Jack99

Adventurer
It depends on a lot of things. Do you have any experience prior with D&D? Do you have any experience with being a DM in other RPG's?

Either way, I would start small. Make my own simple adventure and stick to the rules. Implement house rules as the need arises along the way. With regards to which books to allow, I can only say that it is usually safe to allow what WotC themselves have made, but they do slip up at times. Just not so often as the 3PP's.

Incidently, are you playing 4e or an older version? Because it does matter, do a certain degree.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Do you think the best way to start for a new DM would be to use the premade modules?

Yes. Even if you abandon them after a few levels because you find your confidence has gone up, having them to start with is an absolute blessing and will allow you to spend time on making the game-sessions fun. Keep on the Shadowfell & H2 & H3 are also well organised in terms of adventures, so that makes your job easier, too.

Would you start with any house rules or just go with what's in the books to start?

Seriously, stick with the rules as written to start with. If you start bringing in house-rules right from the get-go, you may find they have unexpected consequences later. Make sure you can cope with doing it by-the-book before getting too creative.

Would you limit the players to just the core books or as long as it's published by Wizard, it would be fair game?

The latter, at the moment, although I'd be a little wary of letting them use the Playest classes at the moment. Probably best to stick with fully published and complete characters for now.

I know I sound defensive and cautious, but concentrate on getting your head round the basics of DMing before going too crazy. And READ THE BOARDS! I mean it, there are loads of fantastic DM's on this site, all of whom are happy to give out advice all the time. Read a lot, think about it, and try and remember it in game. Your players will thank you.

And BEST WISHES!

disarray2

First Post
It depends on a lot of things. Do you have any experience prior with D&D? Do you have any experience with being a DM in other RPG's?

Either way, I would start small. Make my own simple adventure and stick to the rules. Implement house rules as the need arises along the way. With regards to which books to allow, I can only say that it is usually safe to allow what WotC themselves have made, but they do slip up at times. Just not so often as the 3PP's.

Incidently, are you playing 4e or an older version? Because it does matter, do a certain degree.

It will be 4e. I've never DMed before and I'm currently in another 4e game where I'm a player. I want to play more and while other people are willing to play they aren't interested in DMing so I thought I would give it a try.

I ordered the first couple modules and plan to at least look them over and see how a DM plans the stuff out. I think I would feel most comfortable starting with them. I have the core books and I have a DDI account so I believe I have access to most everything thru the compendium.

As someone else mentioned, I've been reading the boards for the last 6 months and have been inspired. You guys really are fantastic.

fba827

Adventurer
I will say that DMing (for me) has been easier in 4e than any other edition - mostly because it goes out of it's way to explicitly tell you it's okay to make up what you need to and not be bound by the same rules as PCs.

Since it is your first time DMing, I'd say stick with the rules as written (avoiding house rules unless there was some common outcry in your other game, or unless there is some specific twist you want/need for your campaign setting.)

I, personally, don't like modules but at the very least they are good for ideas and inspiration or else use them as written if you don't have something else in mind (since running something of your own creation is often easier than running _and_ remembering other people's creation).

I'd also say, for your first DMing experience, limit it to the PHB -- with the option to do other Wizards published material _if they ask you ahead of time for your okay_ - it lets you "know what's coming" and it also keeps variables down to a smaller number to deal with. Some of those MM races in the appendix aren't good as PCs for every campaign so you really should consider those on a case by case basis.

You could also type up a simple/quick sheet and email it to your players.
In it, have a section for races (and you can simply say "any PHB race is fine") and classes ("any PHB class plus the barbarian preview is fine") and so on. Maybe a sentence or two about the world ("we'll start in the setting of Winterhaven that the modules are written in." or something more exotic "the campaign will be set on a pirate ship as you go from island to island, so have a reason for your PC to be part of the crew or a passenger") and so on. Also have a section on ability scores (you want them to roll in front of you at the first session, or you want them to do 22 point buy, or whatever), as well as any house rules you decide to toss in. That not only helps you focus down your ideas, but also gives the players a good starting point to reference when making their PC. It doesn't have to be long, just a page at most. (The longest section should only be for the setting if you decide to make it some nonstandard setting; but warning, the longer you make it, the less likely it will be read).

But all in all, good luck with your first DM experience. :)

Nebulous

Legend
As someone else mentioned, I've been reading the boards for the last 6 months and have been inspired. You guys really are fantastic.

Yes. Yes we are.

*bows*

And i support the idea of running a premade adventure first to get some practice. And lay off the house rules until you (as a group) think you've hit something that feels broken.

Jack99

Adventurer
It will be 4e. I've never DMed before and I'm currently in another 4e game where I'm a player. I want to play more and while other people are willing to play they aren't interested in DMing so I thought I would give it a try.

I ordered the first couple modules and plan to at least look them over and see how a DM plans the stuff out. I think I would feel most comfortable starting with them. I have the core books and I have a DDI account so I believe I have access to most everything thru the compendium.

If you feel more comfortable with the published adventures, go with them. Being comfortable is important.

My advice would be to read the adventure. Imagine how things will play out, and how you will describe the various things to your players. Take some notes, and go from there.

It might be a good idea to have your players make a balanced party for starters. It's always harder to run a game with weird parties, as there might be balance issues that are harder to spot when you are a new DM.

Also, if at all possible, involve the players' background in the adventure. It doesn't have to be all of them, nor all the time. But even the slightest hint of connection is usually well received and helps making it a better experience.

Last but not least, I would say: Do not be afraid to change the adventure if it turns out to be something you or your players do not like. For example the first adventure, KotS, can be a bit of a drag for some, as there are lots and lots of encounters against kobolds and hobgoblins. Cutting some of the encounters can't hurt. As long as you remember to compensate when the players lack xp to handle what comes later.

Good luck

S'mon

Legend

Any help would would be appreciated on how to get started and do well from the get go.

I would recommend, to begin with: no house rules, core rules only - that means initially the PHB only for AD&D 1e-2e, 3e & 4e.

Not sure about premade modules as IME they assume highly optimised play and are often very tough for a novice group. The ones WotC put up free online are often a bit easier. But you might be best doing your own short adventures to start with, following the rules on encounter creation but seeking to err on the side of easier rather than harder encounters.

S'mon

Legend
Last but not least, I would say: Do not be afraid to change the adventure if it turns out to be something you or your players do not like. For example the first adventure, KotS, can be a bit of a drag for some, as there are lots and lots of encounters against kobolds and hobgoblins. Cutting some of the encounters can't hurt. As long as you remember to compensate when the players lack xp to handle what comes later.

I've very slowly learned over the years that when running a published adventure, you need to edit it. The above is good advice - cut out boring combats, and/or reduce the number of enemies.

4e seems to have a problem with excessively tough boss monsters. You may want to amend their stats downwards, eg halve the hit points.

As far as XP goes, you may give bonus XP to make up the numbers, but I'd recommend just using the space for more adventures.

Remove ads