• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New DM's Kit? Anybody?

Renshai

First Post
No, but you can actually find the rules in the DMG2, you just need to update the DCs to match the ones listed in the Rules Compendium.

I really wish there was a Trap Builder available in Adventure Tools.

Korgoth

First Post
No, but you can actually find the rules in the DMG2, you just need to update the DCs to match the ones listed in the Rules Compendium.

I really wish there was a Trap Builder available in Adventure Tools.

By "no" do you mean "no I don't have it" or "no it doesn't have trap design"?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth buying.

captainspud

First Post
Page 213 has rules for Traps and Hazards. It differentiates between them; gives rules for targeting, perceiving, and triggering them; explains their powers; gives rules for countering them; gives advice for placing them; and then spends 8 pages describing 12 traps and 3 hazards.

No rules are given for building your own traps, but I don't imagine it would be difficult to adapt the supplied traps to your own concepts.

Vaeron

Explorer
I looked it over (a preview copy that is) at a local gaming store for about 5 minutes. The honest truth is that most of the content seemed to be reprinted directly from the Rules Compendium. The main difference being that things are slightly more fleshed out; for example, instead of just the 1 example trap the compendium gave, the Kit book lists a few others as well. I was really disappointed by the content, but as I said it was a very quick look over. I'll check it again on Sunday when I go back.

My initial impression, tho, was that it is not an adequate substitute for the original DMG or DMG2.

The Little Raven

First Post
There are no monster, NPC, or trap creation rules in the new DM's Kit.

I am VERY disappointed in Wizards. More than half the book appears to be identical to content in the RC, and key things (like the creation rules, non-random treasure, etc) are missing.

Korgoth

First Post
Oy vey! Such dreck!

I'm not sure there's much reason to buy this. I was hoping that it would condense the DMG and DMG2 crunchy bits down RC-style and be the go-to reference for the Essentials DM.

This sounds pretty thin, especially if you already have DMG1.

captainspud

First Post
In fairness, the idea is that a new DM only has to buy the DM's kit and not the RC, so it makes sense for him to have his own version of the core rules. It is a bit disappointing not to see a lot of the "content creation" rules in the DMK, especially given that it's actually SHORTER than the RC and HotFL, but you really can't get mad at them for the "reprinted" segments. Those aren't a bug, they're a feature.

As always: remember to view all Essentials products through the eyes of someone who doesn't already own 4e and know how to play it. While these products have some use for veteran players, we are not the primary audience.

Truename

First Post
Wizards has been hinting pretty strongly that we wouldn't get much out of the DM Kit. Last month's Save My Game column had this to say:

Save My Game said:
More DM love will come in later months with both the Dungeon Master’s Kit and Monster Vault. If you’re an old pro at the DMing game, these products will merely supplement your already formidable arsenal of tools with new monsters, adventures, advice, and mapping aids. There are neat things you haven’t seen before, which is always a treat, but unless you are still feeling a little uneasy as a DM, you can live without them.

And then this month's editorial seems to be dancing a bit, too:

Ampersand said:
Look for the Dungeon Master’s Kit this month, a D&D Essentials boxed set created especially for new Dungeon Masters or experienced DMs looking to add new components and adventures into their game. The boxed set features a Dungeon Master Book that contains directed information on how to best run a D&D game...

Directed information. I'm guessing that means the DM Kit will provide a simplified, cookbook-style approach to DM'ing. If you're familiar with the Dreyfus model of learning, you know that this is a good way to teach beginners. To more experienced DM's, though, it could seem dumbed-down, even insulting.

The 'experienced DMs looking to add new components and adventures' line seemed a bit like dancing to my eye, too. It sounds like they're saying "experienced DMs could buy the kit just for the tokens and Reavers of Harkenwold adventure if not for the book."

I might be reading too much into this, but it's a rare corporation that's willing to tell you straight out why you shouldn't buy a product, and Wizards certainly isn't any good at speaking plainly.

Kurtomatic

First Post
I just finished skimming my copy. TirionAnthion has also started a thread here. I'm replying on this one since there's more activity here.

The Dungeon Master's Book does appear to be pretty redundant, and I agree that it's not targeted at us (experienced 4E DMs). It doesn't (entirely) replace the DMGs or the new RC, but I consider this a good thing. It's a different spin on the same meal (it tastes like chicken, of course). The RC is the better essentials book for old hands. However, the RC is pretty dry stuff; the DM's Book makes for better reading at a single sitting.

The revised DM screen is nice; just like the old one but on thinner card stock. The tokens are the usual fare, as are the poster maps. The part of the posters I'm most interested in are a portion of a keep, which includes some good fortification map fodder we haven't seen much of previously.

I'm mostly interested in the Reavers of Harkenwold, and on first scan, I am not disappointed. I'm not sure I'd buy this box just for the adventure; $40 for 2 levels of H1 (low heroic) adventuring is too much, but I also wanted a copy of the DM's Book as a backup to my RC (which will likely get passed around a bit). Plus, the screen and posters will definitely see some use.

Anyway, Reavers looks like a huge improvement over previous efforts. This is a long way from Keep of the Shadowfell. I think this adventure will be well received from those who also liked Slaying Stone. It includes some nice setting info on Harkenwold, several NPCs, and a new ongoing threat to the Nentire Vale (hello Iron Circle! /waves).

At first glance, I particularly like the optional 'Epilogue' encounter at the end. :devil:

Remove ads