• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New DN rant -- The Faithless

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Just tell the guy he can't play in your game. I don't think he's going to get a decent gaming experience, and neither will you. What you guys want out of the experience is too dissimilar.

Well, this whole mess was settled once I showed him the FRCS, page 289, under "Allowing Powerful Races in Play" --

'Even if the character falls within the power range of the rest of the group, you can disallow it if you don't think the character suits your campaign--you have the final say on what sorts of characters the players can create for your game.'

Problem solved. :D

Soltares

First Post
If anything, the Time of Troubles is a perfect reason NOT to believe in the gods as 'gods.'

Some of them DIED. Gods don't just wander around the planet and bump each other off like spoiled children. Those must not have been real gods.

Alternately, from the way he described his backstory, his family dying and the gods doing nothing to help, it isn't so much that he doesn't believe in the gods, as he *hates* them.

Again, given the Time of Troubles (perhaps his family lived in Tantras, and died when Torm sucked their lives out to empower himself to kill Bane, Bane, who later returned, good as new, making the sacrifice of his parents lives *utterly meaningless*), there are dozens of situations where he could have losts his family as a result of the Avatars thing, as gods where all over, and plenty of mortals lost their lives in the big brou-hah.

"God hates me."
"Hate him back. Works for me."

Soltares said:
If anything, the Time of Troubles is a perfect reason NOT to believe in the gods as 'gods.'

Some of them DIED. Gods don't just wander around the planet and bump each other off like spoiled children. Those must not have been real gods.

Alternately, from the way he described his backstory, his family dying and the gods doing nothing to help, it isn't so much that he doesn't believe in the gods, as he *hates* them.

Again, given the Time of Troubles (perhaps his family lived in Tantras, and died when Torm sucked their lives out to empower himself to kill Bane, Bane, who later returned, good as new, making the sacrifice of his parents lives *utterly meaningless*), there are dozens of situations where he could have losts his family as a result of the Avatars thing, as gods where all over, and plenty of mortals lost their lives in the big brou-hah.

Holy hell!

This, Sol, is awesome. You have *no idea* how awesome this new angle is going to work out.

Just wanted to say thanks. :D

Voneth

First Post
No offense, but there seems to be stubbornness on both sides.

The guy is new, so he's not going to have a mature gaming attitude (I once had guy try to suicide his PC becuase he became temporarly blinded and he didn't want to wait out the duration of the effect), never mind the concept that there is a "right" or "wrong" over an artistic endevor is a mite silly. You two should agree to disagree on what fantasy worlds you like and move on.

On the other hand, is it such a crime to play a modified FR world? To a degree, I try to give each player something special to help reinstate that mythic feel that a lot of Eruocentric/cosmopolitan fantasy settings seem to be missing.

i.e., I let a guy who wants to be a knight just pick his equipment from the book "for free," I give someone else a heirloom weapon (thank you Dragon #289 and O.A.), elves are "frost elves" who get 2 DR cold and +2 dmg from fire. Then again I start my games between level 4 to 8 and these advantages don't impinge much on mechanics at that point, but go a long way to adding flavor. So would it such a deal to have a funky race of pirate or merchant fleet Minatours (or weaker pseudominators) who ply the trade routes in a mostly FR world? Unless you out at sea all the time, chances the race won't even be seen again as you go through the FR modules, but now comes the real trick.

Perhaps the whole race doesn't believe in gods, but they must have a culture and some sort of code of behavior (Pirate, bushido, the 101 Rules of Aquistion, animaism) Have him help you tweak the race to fit into FR. You gaive him horns and boats, so tell him to help you come up with a culture ... why? Because then you have you hook why the PC hangs out with the party. (Pirate=looking for a legendary treasure map, bushido=his clan owes the party's patron a debt, Ferengi=owes a debt/sold as slave/etc., animaism=the spirits of the sea told him to follow the party.)

This guy seems a tad demanding and pushy, but I also feel for him. I'm currently in a Codex Arcanis game and play a lizardman that's allowed by the codex. I even had a "lizardman" voice for my character. So far, no one would even pay attention to my PC until I dropped that roleplaying aspect (the party seems more the XP Hunters types) So far we have been to a lot of human lands, the great elven cities in the woods several times. Any trip to my homeland swamp, the Sulphur Marsh, gets "handwaved" into a "okay you get your business done and then we go on to the next fight."

Come to think of it, if you give the guy just one "Minatuor" adventure where the party gets to explore you new addition to you home brew FR game, then I think everyone will have a unique time and enjoy it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads