• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Dragon+ (issue 12): The Inspiration Issue

The tomb preview is great. It has a sidebar about possible places to put it, including the 6 original ones Gygax suggested in Greyhawk. Hopefully those who disliked the other 4 books being set in FR can appreciate their attention to explicitly stating it can be anywhere the DM sets his campaign, and giving the history about where it originally appeared.

The tomb preview is great. It has a sidebar about possible places to put it, including the 6 original ones Gygax suggested in Greyhawk. Hopefully those who disliked the other 4 books being set in FR can appreciate their attention to explicitly stating it can be anywhere the DM sets his campaign, and giving the history about where it originally appeared.

Remathilis

Legend
One interesting piece I noticed was the lack of level range being noted for Tomb of Horrors unlike the original version. I hope that is in there somewhere.

The intro page lists the level range for each module:

SC: 1st
FoF: 3rd:
HSoT: 5th
WPM: 8th
DiT: 9-11th
AtG: 11th
ToH: "high" (probably 14th)

Nope, that's because is every official source I've ever seen of the YP, the current owner is named Durnan. And is the 3rd, 4th, 25th descendant of the original Durnan. Even personalities and descriptions seem to always be the same. Another one of those FR things where classic characters can never die.
Yes, that's why the context seems to indicate they meant "descendants" and not "ancestors" - unless somehow when Durnan came back he took back the tavern from people even older than him!

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

In context, I don't think they mean what you think they mean (I can't copy and paste it directly, so that's why I didn't post it at first):

Quote Originally Posted by Yawning Portal Introduction
Few at first believed it could be Durnan, but folk as long lived as he vouched it so. The Yawning Portal had passed into the hands of his ancestors, but Durnan returned with enough riches for them to quietly retire. Durnan took his customary place behind the bar, raised a toast to his own safe return, and then began serving customers as if he'd never left.
Oh lord, that's even worse.

Thanks for that. I'm going away depressed now...

pukunui

Legend
Maybe the Portal has some kind of time paradox thing going on, where time travels backwards, so Durnan's ancestors really did inherit the inn from him ... ;)

flametitan

Explorer
Maybe the Portal has some kind of time paradox thing going on, where time travels backwards, so Durnan's ancestors really did inherit the inn from him ... ;)

Well, if an inn can have adventurers travel between the various planes in the multiverse, I wouldn't be surprised if it enabled those adventurers to time travel either.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
interesting is they arent including the update to the Giant Trilogy with the Stone Giant expansion adventure that was in dungeon many years back.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned

It is DnD, right? I mean who does not have a lich or two in the family that can take over the business for a few centuries or so while you go out adventuring?

CapnZapp

Legend
For an issue named "The Inspiration Issue" there's not too much about the Inspiration mechanism, is there...?

Anyways, I figured this was as good a reason to discuss the PHB Inspiration mechanic as any :) Specifically, it's a good lead-in to (re)posting Angry DM's very valid criticism against the PHB Inspiration mechanic:

"It’s just this thing that’s easy to forget and sits in the game not really doing anything. It feels tacked on. Vestigial. An afterthought."

Compare to his suggested replacement:

* You automatically begin each session with Inspiration. The DM isn't involved.
* If and when you invoke one of your Traits, Ideals, Bonds or Flaws you (or somebody close) gain advantage on a roll.
* By claiming a Setback you can regain Inspiration once used. Or you can simply wait until the next play session.
* A Setback means voluntarily taking disadvantage on a significant roll, or otherwise allowing the DM to steer the story into a disadvantageous direction for you.

"This simple system uses the same basic elements as the one in the core rules, but it avoids several of the problems and it has several advantages:"
a) everyone gets at least one freebie
b) "it creates a strong connection between the action or choice that the player makes and the bonus itself"
c) the DM isn't involved - she can't forget about it, use it in confusing ways or to reward certain actions or players.
d) "it encourages the players to create Characteristics that actually will affect the game. Bonds with your hometown are nice and all, but if the game will never take place in your hometown, it’s just a wasted sentence"
e) each player gets to decide how much they want to engage with the system individually. Some players simply don't like the mechanic. They might still be tempted to use their one freebie per session, though. Which gently encourages players without forcing them
f) no more metagaming (where the player and the character wants different things). Now the player decides to invoke a characteristic, which presumably directly drives the character's interests

"So overall, with that very slight modification, you get a simple personality system that works much better than Inspiration as Written."
http://theangrygm.com/take-the-suck-out-of-inspiration/

CapnZapp

Legend
The intro page lists the level range for each module:

SC: 1st
FoF: 3rd:
HSoT: 5th
WPM: 8th
DiT: 9-11th
AtG: 11th
ToH: "high" (probably 14th)
Yes. While the description is inconsistent and doesn't always indicate starting and ending level, it quickly turns out they have ensured no "dead" levels*:

Each dungeon lasts enough levels to end at the level preceding the listed level for the next dungeon.

Also, as far as I've managed to find out, this really has been kept unchanged since the original modules.

This can't be a coincidence. They must have done a fair bit of puzzling to find modules that "slot" together this neatly.

*) Obviously, assuming everything works out perfectly and every adventure party gets just the right amount of XP every time... ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads