• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Dragonstar game... any advice?

Eye Tyrant

First Post
I have a group that seems interested in starting a DS game and I was curious as to anyones ideas/advice...

Details:

Not many really... I want to start with about 3rd-5th level PCs. The group interested however, is into an Epic Level frame of mind right now. They seem to be used to this style of play. I however prefer a more scaled back version in my games. Also, none have ever played (nor have I ran) a DS game before. Any thoughts?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, the obvious thing, is that it's deadlier than regular D&D, because the weapon damages are much higher (especially blaster weapons). So take it easy on your players (in terms of opposition) until you get a handle of things.

Though that's less of a problem as characters get higher levels.

If you want your NPCs beeing a real threat, you have two options:
They must win the Initiative (Improved Initiative is a must), and use blasters.
Or:
Or they must rely on melee combat (quickly advance to melee range), and use trips and similar methods to hold them down. :)
This doesn`t work if your characters focus on melee themselves, but it can throw them off-balance, if they concentrated on ranged weapons.

Well, in my game i toned down the weapon damage, though it is still better as the one of melee weapons...

blaster219

Explorer
I agree, it took one party wipeout before the players learned the value of team tactics and cover. :rolleyes:

trancejeremy said:
Well, the obvious thing, is that it's deadlier than regular D&D, because the weapon damages are much higher (especially blaster weapons). So take it easy on your players (in terms of opposition) until you get a handle of things.

Neo

Explorer
Visit my site (link in sig) and click on the downloads page if you want to be able to download a mass of free Dragonstar related rules, Prestige classes, weapons, equipment, armours and species.

Remove ads