• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Druid Spell

Psimancer

First Post
Our group is in the middle of discussing a new spell that one of the players wants to research.

The GM and the player in question (a Druid) can’t seem to agree on ‘the what’ and ‘the how’ the spell should work (and I end up as the middle-man, being the closest thing to an impartial rules-lawyer). We play a fairly open game with the GMing getting passed around, so we want all parties involved to be happy and some kind of accorded reached (so Rule 0, isn’t going to cover it…)

So I thought I would throw it out to the ENWorld community at large and get some feedback from the EN-think-tank.

Concept: A spell to allow speech without the speaking… specifically, to allow a Druid to communicate whilst in Wildshape form.

* Points of Contention;-

School: Divination, Evocation (Sonic) or Illusion (Figment, etc)
Level: Druid 1, 2 or 3
Duration: 1 min/level or 10/min/level

The above is only what has been put forward so far, so something else may actually be more appropriate.

* Notes;-

The GM is concerned that the player is using this to spellcast whist in altered form, so whatever is settle upon needs to prevent this…

By definition, the spell would probably allow speech while gagged, paralysed, submerged, etc. That’s fine, but we just want to make sure we aren’t missing some uber-glitch…

My thoughts:

Illusion ala audible Glamour
1st level if requiring verbal/somantic components.. 2nd if not.
Duration 10 min per level

Effect: The recipent of this spell can cause a voice to emanate from thier square by concentrating {standard action}. The voice is sounds as thier normal speech and can be in any language that they know. The volume of the voice is based on the skill check as follows

DC 5 = normal volume
DC 10 = shout or soft speech
DC 15 = great shout* or whisper

* great shout can be heard twice as far as a normal shout.
Of course you can chose the result of a lower DC when desired

Bardic effects can be used through the spells voice.

Since it takes a standard action to speak in this manner, you cannot use it for spellcasting. Not a complete 'I can talk like normal' spell, but workable.
Use of Concentration to control the magic so that you can cast on other characters.

Jack Simth

First Post
Let's see... about the closest spells in PHB are Tongues (Divination
Level: Brd 2, Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 3 Components: V, M/DF Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: Touch Target: Creature touched Duration: 10 min./level Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless) Spell Resistance: No) or Speak With Animals (Divination
Level: Brd 3, Drd 1, Rgr 1 Components: V, S Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: Personal Target: You Duration: 1 min./level).

Speak With Animals is the only one of the two that includes the Druid on it's caster list, so that's probably a better starting point. You're basically reversing it, causing an animal to be able to speak with a person; perhaps something like....
My Imagination said:
Nature's Spokesman
Divination
Level: Druid 1
Components: V, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Animal Touched
Duration: 1 Min/Level
This spell permits the target to speak any one language the caster knows, in spite of such impediments as not having the proper vocal equipment, being gagged, or similar. The volume is limited to a whisper, however, and does not support the strong voice needed for most spellcasting (if the target is a spellcaster, this does not grant the target the ability to use Verbal components).
Note that, in order to use this on oneself, the caster needs to have either Silent Spell or Natural spell (as most Druids aren't valid targets until after they have WildShaped)

Ferret

Explorer
Unspoken voice
Divination
Level: Druid 2
Components: S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Two people Touched
Duration: 10 Min/Level

The recipients of this spell are able to communcate non-verbally. In essence, so long as the two subjects are in sight of one another they can read messages from each other, by sight alone. Creating one of these messages requires a conscious effort, but does not need an action to be spent. This spell does not allow the reading of minds.

Material Component: A small amount of bees wax.

Hows this? It feels like it should be more then just Druid, maybe bard. But that doesn't fit the background.

Last edited:

Ferret.. interesting version.. seems useful for Rogueish applicaitions :)

But.. if you have to see the other character to 'read', its like sign language... really hard to get someones attention to start the conversation!

If I read the OP right, they are looking for a spell to allow a character to communicate clearly when in a form/condition that limits this.

Interestingly enough, my version could be useful for interogating enemy mages who are bound and gagged....

The random thoughts that cross my mind... :cool:

Looks like a general trend towards Level 2 with S and M/DF is appearing.

Remove ads