• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Faces (Forked: Its the terminology that kills me...)

FireLance

Legend
Funny idea I just had, a scale to determine your RPG snob level. Choose the statement you most agree with.
I think I must be Level 0: There are two kinds of people in this world: People who play games, and people who don't. ;)

The way I see it:

More people who play the game in the same way I play = Good
More people who play the game, but not in the same way I play = Neutral

Hence, more people who play the game in itself shouldn't ever be a bad thing.

Now, people who used to play the game in the same way I play but now play the game in a different way = bad for me, and this could theoretically result from more people who play the game, but not in the same way I play. However, it is more likely a sign that your favored playstyle isn't as enjoyable as you thought.

ironvyper

First Post
Of course, being elitist does not mean you're part of an actual elite; in most cases, it's just that you have delusions of grandeur. ;)

Only if u call yourself elite. If someone else calls you elite it speaks to an inherent lack of confidence in thier character and beliefs, its a tacit admission of the "elitists" superiority along with an overriding theme that they should be guilty for knowing they are better then you, when they said nothing of the sort. it was really just you imprinting your insecurities on them.

Asmor

First Post
What if you acknowledge your own bad taste? I have bad taste in music. I like bad music, but have the courtesy not to play it on anything other than headphones, because I don't want to inflict it on others.

Just because you apply the label "bad" to your tastes doesn't mean that they're bad tastes, in the traditional sense of the term at least.

Or what if your taste is destructive or antisocial?

That's more destructive and/or antisocial behavior. When one speaks of tastes one speaks of opinions in regards to different styles of something. For example, a preference to humvees is a taste; driving one around is a behavior. You don't need to like humvees to drive one (e.g. maybe your job requires you to drive one), and you certainly don't necessarily drive one just because you like them (I'm sure there's lots of people who love them but can't afford them).

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
You know, proving that "bad taste" exists is pretty easy. Watch:

The Wayans brothers still make movies.

Bam!

Need more?

"Meet the Spartans" was a box office hit.

Bam once again!

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
No. People that like story driven RPGs and say that other ways to play the game are wrong are snobs and elitist.

But there are only 10 types of people in the world anyway... Those that understand binary, and those who don't.

Mustrum_Ridcully FTW!

Personally I welcome new gamers to the hobby - no matter whether they're good or bad compared to my tastes. Those that are bad can play with gamers that suit their style, and those that are good can game with me.

If I have any problems with anyone in my gaming group, I'll talk to them about it. I'd rather that there was another gaming group playing in a style I didn't like, but also contributing to the hobby as a whole, than not.

Only if u call yourself elite. If someone else calls you elite it speaks to an inherent lack of confidence in thier character and beliefs, its a tacit admission of the "elitists" superiority along with an overriding theme that they should be guilty for knowing they are better then you, when they said nothing of the sort. it was really just you imprinting your insecurities on them.
Say what now?

So, if I say someone is an elitist and I wouldn't want have anything to do with him, I am actually meaning to say "you're way better then me"?

I do not think that's how it works. Or, more accurately: That is not how it works.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Lets face it, none of us are the elite in rpging terms. We like D&D which pretty much makes us scum.

ironvyper, if a Vampire fan derides players of D&D as mere hack & slashers and you say his attitude is elitist, does that mean you are acknowledging that he is your superior?

Doug McCrae

Legend
I have bad taste in everything except comedy. I have bad taste in films, because I prefer Tarantino to Bergman. I have bad taste in books because I prefer Moorcock to Dostoyevsky. I have bad taste in music because I don't much like the Beatles. I have bad taste in rpgs because Dungeons & Dragons is my favourite game.

I know I have good taste in comedy because I like Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads