• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Fallout Game

Sytonis

First Post
The next Fallout game not DLC has been announced New Vegas and will be made by Obsidian not by Bethesda, due out 2010.

No links as I am posting from PS3.

Bethesda Softworks and Obsidian are the gold standard in single-player RPGs, IMNSHO, so I am VERY happy that Obisidian is doing FNV while Bethesda will tackle F4 after the next Elder Scrolls game.

I haven't been this happy since the Black Isle/Bioware era of D&D 2.x CRPGs!

Aus_Snow

First Post
Hm. I think 'bizarre' can have an upgrade to 'awesome!' I didn't read through the info very thoroughly, and somehow got the impression that Bethesda had been passed over for the next Fallout. And probably, therefore, any after that.

So anyway, looks like great news. I'm not sure I know much about Obsidian. Hopefully they'll do some good stuff with NV. At the moment, I'm just hanging out for next Tuesday.

But I'll probably buy F:NV, without any hesitation. And Fallout 4? Of course! :D

And hey, a movie? Interesting. . .

Obsidian Entertainment was responsible for both Neverwinter Nights 2 and Knights of the Old Republic 2. The founders of Obsidian came from Interplay's defunct Black Isle Studios, which was responsible for Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment and the Icewind Dale series.

Interestingly, some of the other folks working on Fallout 2 went on to form Troika, which was responsible for the Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Bloodline games. One of them (Jason Anderson) ended up back at Interplay working on an MMORPG (possibly the Fallout MMORPG, for which Interplay still holds the license, and for which they are being sued by Bethesda for supposedly violating the license terms). Anderson left Interplay to join inXile, which is Brian Fargo's company -- original founder of Interplay -- and they've expressed an interest in doing a new Wasteland game.

Wasteland, BTW, was the original inspiration for Fallout.

Methinks the CRPG industry is a small world, after all.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Ah. Thanks for the clue-in, Murph. My faith is restored, for this new post-apoc venture.

Damn, but I can't gets meself enough post-apoc! :D

Remove ads