• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Feat Chain: Parry

Clint

Journeyman Linguist
Gosh, Stargher, don't you think that will slow combat down mightily? I don't see why everyone wouldn't take that feat, because it doesn't cost anything to use.

Stargher

First Post
Well let's see...

Granted, this system doubles the rolling, but I wouldn't go as far as to say everyone would take it.

A 6th level fighter would have a maximum of 8 feats at his disposal. Naturally he would take one or two Parry Feats, if he chose to be boring. So he would look: Dodge, Weapon Focus, Expertise, Improved Disarm, Quick Draw, Weapon Specialization, Mobility, Spring Attack or he could look Parry, Toughness, Parry, Toughness, Par...oops out of Dex, Hmm... Weapon Focus, Power Attack, Cleave, Weapon Specialization. Both have their perks I guess.

I don't know, I'm not at my sharpest today, I've just come from a 30 mile bikeride (geocaching, great fun...) I'll leave this discussion to more able hands....

TheFlamingRheo

First Post
Here is another way that this feat could look if an opponent attacks you you may spend you AofO for this round and instead make an opposed attack roll with your opponent if you when then his attack is parryed. Note: this ability cannot be used more than once a round even if you are allowed more than one AofO.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Clint said:
I also really like the concept of parrying with a shield, as well. (duh! :) ) What do you think, make it similar to a 'normal' parry, but give a +4 bonus to the attempt?

I'd say add the shields AC bonus to the parry attempt (but not to your AC if the parry fails).

Should Riposte and Supreme Parry work together? It wasn't my intention to create a potential defensive Whirlwind Attack.

Since it uses up AoOs it shouldn't be too excessive.

I hate the name, it implies blocking with two weapons. Any suggestions?

Dual-weapon Riposte [Fighter] [General]
You are adept at parrying weapons in your off-hand.
Prerequisites: Riposte, Two-Weapon Fighting
Benefit: As Riposte, but when using two weapons and successfully executing a Parry, either weapon may be used for the Riposte.

If the Riposte is an AoO, you should logically be able to take it with either weapon, anyway.

How about a 'Bind' manuever of some sort: If you successfully parry with an off-hand weapon, you tie up the opponent's weapon so he can't use it to parry your next attack. Something like that.

Finally, I'm thinking of adding the requirement that a weapon can't Parry a weapon of more than one size greater than itself. A Large Shield counts as a large weapon for purposes of this mechanic.

Sounds reasonable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads