• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New feat inspired by the awesomeness of dragons

thedmstrikes

Explorer
After I viewed some recent threads on Dragons and their actions, I found myself thinking about how they seem to be too limited in their available actions in a given round. Not by what they have available to do, but how many things they can actually do in a round. This is a limitation by the combat and magic rules set forth that all creatures and characters are limited to. I decided to try a new approach to accomplish allowing certain "advanced" creatures a way to use more than one option in a given round. Currently in the game, feats exist to allow mid to high level beings a chance to make some actions swift actions allowing them to do more than one option in a round. For example, a dragon with a feat allowing it to cast a spell as a swift action could also make an attack in the same round (or full attack if it did not move). Unfortunately, you are limited to a single swift action per round. My proposal is that, given sufficient prerequisites, a feat may be designed that allows for an additonal swift action per round. Here is my example below:

Multi action, swift (General, Epic)
You are able to use more than one swift ability per round.

Prerequisites: INT 20, DEX 20, at least two Quickened abilities (i.e. Quicken Spell or Quicken Spell-like Ability, etc.)

Benefit: Any character or creature with this feat will be able to take an additional swift action each round. This feat does not allow for the use of the same ability twice in the same round. This feat does not stack.

Dragons (and some other creatures and characters) can be terrifying opponents given the right circumstances and role played in the right way. It has just irked me that creatures which are better, faster, stronger (more advanced, however you want to put it) are still limited to the same number of actions a simple being is. I get it, game mechanics and all, but something that is supposed to be as awe inspiring and terribly ferrocious as a dragon six times the size of a human, with twice the brain power, and a plethora of natural abilities it gains from just getting older (yes, I thought of elves at this point, but they do not gain anything simply by getting older), would eventually learn how to use more than one at a time. Hell, if they stand still they can attack at least six different opponents within reach in six seconds, why couldn't they also breath or invoke a spell-like ability? Especially if they sacrificed all the extra attacks to do it. I understand that reality has no place in a fantasy game, but I still think that there should be away to accomplish even greater feats (excuse the pun) within the current framework of the game. What do you think?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads