• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New game, need some ideas... Looong.

Blue Sky

Explorer
Just started a new Eberron game tonight, and it started off pretty good. For the first time in a couple of years, I really feel the players are really into the game. I just figured I'd hit up the good people of ENworld for some plot ideas.

First, the cast of Characters (all second level)

Frank d'Tharashk - half orc fighter, power attack/cleave type sent to Sharn to look for Lucien (from Death in Freeport) to retrieve some books he took while on his journey.
Random name (today it's Rob) - changeling rogue/fighter, focus on bluff and disguise.
Half orc monk - can't remember his name right now, but it's something pretty plain, just like the others. For now, we'll call him Tom.

Travelling with them is Rust, a warforged cleric of the Silver Flame NPC, and an elven sorcerer, which hasn't actually started playing yet.

In today's game, I ran them through the adventure in the back of the Eberron book, with the warforged fighter (Spike) at the end being backed up with a warforged sorcerer (Frost). I had changed Spike to focus on Spiked Chain/Improved Trip, but it didn't really matter, as he managed to trip only Rob, then botched and dropped his chain. When he went to pick it up, all three pc's hit him with a AoO, dropping him down to 0, and then the monk hit him again when he tried to flee. Frost popped an Invisibility potion for the escape, and the players returned topside for their reward.

Frank inquired about the possibility of getting a magical weapon, and Elayne d'Cannith told him she'd hook him up with a discount (about 20%), but he didn't have enough. He went to his House to ask for a loan, but was told by the Fu-yan, the local "embassy master", that Frank would have to complete his search for Lucien before he could be trusted that far. I told him he could try a fight in the pits, but he'd have to take on four fights at his level to get the money. He declined, and had to leave shortly after.

Tom and Rob, however, decided to try the pits. I decided to run the pit fight as follows: 100gp each to enter, and each would be in a series of four fights. The first fight would be against a first level fighter type, the second against a second level type, and so on, for a purse of 1200gp. Rob was eliminated in the first round by a dwarven barbarian, while Tom made it through a paladin and a druid, before being taken out in the third round by Spike, who had been revived by Frost.

Rob and Tom decided to stay in the pits to bet on the last fight, between Spike and a Seren Barbarian (betting on the barbarian, of course). The barbarian was handily beating the tar out of the warforged, when the Seren "botched", tossing his greataxe into the crowd. Spike quickly finished him off. Picking up the barbarians greataxe, which happened to land nearby, the pc's noticed a fine layer of ice on the handle, which evaporated before their eyes, leaving no evidence. They tried to convince the judges that someone had cheated, but lost out on the opposed Diplomacy against Spike, leaving him with the pot.

After exchanging a few inflamming comments, Tom proposed a deal. Tom and Rob would take on Spike and Frost the next night, for the pot that Spike had just "stolen". Spike and Frost quickly agreed, and left, being followed by the changeling. They spotted him fairly quickly, asked him if he wanted to handle the fight in the streets, and left when he said no. Meanwhile, Rust and Tom were at the Golden Quill, exchanging stories of prejudice against their respective races.

On the way back to the Golden Quill, Rob was stopped by a couple of toughs, who politely invited him to meet with guildmaster Thurin, who had seen him picking pockets earlier in the day. The guildmaster very respectfully and politely informed Rob that "unsanctioned" pick pocketing was considered to be stealing from the guild, and that he was sure that Rob didn't mean to steal from the guild, he just hadn't gotten around to paying his dues yet, that's all. Rob, sensing the hint, agreed, and paid his dues on the spot. The guildmaster also offered to watch Rob's back in the fight against Spike and Frost the next night, making sure that no one would try to cast any spells into the pit during the fght. Rob thanked him, and left.

Fast forward to the fight. Even with buffs from Rust, and some quick thinking (and a natural 20!) involving tying some rope around the Enlarged Spike, our heros were unsuccessful in their attempt at retribution, and lost the battle. We ended the game there, with the players swearing that they would get even with Spike and Frost, one way or another, and them owing them 1200 gp.

Wew! Sorry about being so long winded there. So, here's where the good people of enworld come in. How can I capitalize on this hate that the players have for these warforged? What kind of adventure plots might Elayne d'Cannith have for our heroes? And how can I work in a Elven sorcerer who will be joining us at the next game?

Come on, help a man keep the energy going from such a great start!

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Sounds like you have a beginnings of long term villians on your hands with Spike and Frost, which can be spies for some other group, this information could be passed on either by the thievies guild or Elayne d'Cannith. Now why would they do that? They could have lost money to them cheating in the fight but don't know how it was done and want to find out, thinking it is an item or relationships with a third party. You also have to build up Spike and Frost's background to make them look interesting either way but they are good hooks.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
If you really want to encourage rivalry and hate, the two warforged could get plum rewards that the PCs wanted -- either social (invitations to a particular party) or material. The two could also go adventuring, beating the PCs to a particular object they want.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads