• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New game store RPG selection?

Dristram

First Post
I’m working on the initial product order for a new game store and would like to get some feedback from fellow gamers on what to stock. I have a beginning list, but want to make sure there isn’t something I’ve left out.

So my question to you all is, when you walk into a game store, what products/games must it have in stock for you to consider the place as a legitimate game store? Feel free to give feedback on non-rpgs as well.

Thanks!

darthkilmor

First Post
Dristram said:
I’m working on the initial product order for a new game store and would like to get some feedback from fellow gamers on what to stock. I have a beginning list, but want to make sure there isn’t something I’ve left out.

So my question to you all is, when you walk into a game store, what products/games must it have in stock for you to consider the place as a legitimate game store? Feel free to give feedback on non-rpgs as well.

Thanks!

More than just RPG stuff. Board games, Miniatures, CCG's, Dice.

bento

Explorer
Dristram said:

Thanks!
I would hope the store owners / investors had done some market research before they order a lot of product. Have you subscribed to Comics & Games Retailer? It has a top 10 sales list of different types of games each month. Also you might want to check out the web site ICv2.com, which is aimed at specialty retailers.

Where are people in your area buying from today? Have you shopped the local competition? Do you know what they are carrying? Do you know what kinds of discounts they are offering? Do you know which products of their's are covered in dust? How's about the selection at the closest Barnes & Nobles or Borders Books?

Have you done any sales or market reseearch at nearby conventions? When I was thinking about opening a store in Dallas I once conducted a survey at a mini-con that gave me valuable data on what locals preferred. My expenses were less than $300 for helpers, giveaway items and printing costs. The survey also convinced me that too many people were price-sensitive and would rather save money through using the Internet/mail order than go to a store with a good selection.

Have you talked to your distributors? They might have a good idea on what's hot in different regions. Beware though that they will try to push stuff sitting in the warehouse, but on the other hand successful retailers drive their business.

Don't be afraid to carry products like Pokemon or Bella Sera if it brings kids in with money. I knew a comic-only retailer who carried Pokemon singles during the late 1990s because so many people came in looking for them, and it helped boost sales.

Check on RPG.net, which has two guest columns on gaming retail. One is on running a store and the other about starting one up. I think with 4th Ed on the horizon that we're facing a low spot in D&D sales. I don't know if people will use this six month lull to buy other games or not. I wouldn't invest too much in 3.5 though.

As a comic retailer giving me advice once said, order only one copy of top selling items. If you sell out and someone asks for another copy, you can always get it within a week from the distributor.

Dragon Snack

First Post
bento said:
As a comic retailer giving me advice once said, order only one copy of top selling items. If you sell out and someone asks for another copy, you can always get it within a week from the distributor.
Ditto to everything except this. Do NOT count on being able to "get it within a week" from your distributor if it turns out to be a really hot item (and sometimes normal items). Also don't count on your customer coming back if you have to order it. They can order it online just as easy as you can order it from your distributor, if they want it now you better have it now - especially if you are a new store and don't have a loyal customer base willing to wait.

Also, even though "customers" say they like to browse old items, if something isn't selling - DUMP IT. Invest in stuff that sells and turn you money over, don't let it sit there in dead stock. You don't see big name stores letting their stock sit for years (or even months), but I'm amazed at the old stock of dead games that some game stores are still carrying (and still trying to get full MSRP for). Now, if the old stuff is selling that's another story, but those instances are few and far between.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Dristram said:

Bento's post is full of excellent advice, especially the marketing survey at local conventions. That should give you a lot of good advice.

Located where you are, I'm guessing you get a lot of through-traffic between the two cities? In my neck of the woods being surrounded by golf courses means you have a lot of rich people with lots of easily detached disposable income, who will leave the wife and kids to shop while they go golf. Find out where these people go and put up your advertising accordingly. Bored kids might = cash.

Go look at the games at boardgamegeek.com, and see which ones are consistantly the highest rated. You might want to start with those. Run demos, especially of fast card games or board games. Offer a discount on games you demo.

Do advertising. Apartment guides are a good place to start; young people moving into an area might be wondering where the local game store is. College kids will probably be looking at those as well, if you're a big college town.

Make sure the store is clean, well-maintained, well-lit and airy. Get advice from, frankly, the 'normalest' female friends you have, especially if they have kids. 'Is this a place you'd feel comfortable shopping in?' is a legit question.

Don't hire your friends. Don't hire the local cat-piss man to man your register. Make sure the guy managing your register is not playing Magic or Ticket to Ride or whatever and ignores the cashwrap. Hire clean-cut people, men and women, who look like they should be manning a professional store. Working at a game store shouldn't mean you get to come to work in your black t-shirt; business casual is good.

Pay attention to the guys and gals that frequent your store. I think you can go search for some of the gaming store horror stories here and on RPG.NET but in short when you identify the socially-marginal freaks that bother other people, suggest they find another place to hang out because they are costing you business.

Now, my personal preferences? Mine are sort of skewed, so you might not get that much in the way of good advice from them. I usually look right past the D&D and WoD stuff. I think you need to carry it, but I'm more likely drawn to the independent stuff. Unfortunately, ordering stuff like that is a total gamble. It all depends on your customer mix. If you guess wrong, it'll sit on your shelves forever. Me - like as not, I might glance at a D&D or WoD thing I have not seen before, and then order if off Amazon. Other things I won't, because Amazon won't offer a discount on them. If I see it at the store, I'll get it.

You haven't mentioned if you have play space.

Bottom-line: There needs to be something that makes people come to your store rather than order off Amazon.

Dragon Snack said:
I'm amazed at the old stock of dead games that some game stores are still carrying (and still trying to get full MSRP for).

Look at your bottom line and see if you can afford 'Discount Days' every quarter. This brings out the bargain hunters and clears your shelves of old crap. One store here used to have 60-70-80 sales. Friday was 60% off. Saturday was 70% off, etc, from things on these tables. You will lose a bit of money, depending on the item, but you get something for it, which is better than nothing. It also adds a hidden value to your store: when some people see lots of stuff that hasn't moved in a while, it bothers them. It makes them think less of your store, and some part of them thinks 'Do I really want to shop at this loser place'? Clearing out the dead wood helps.

Last edited:

Dristram

First Post
Thanks for the input so far! Something I’m finding very interesting is that my question is about stocked products, and so far, in every forum and e-mail list I’ve sent this query, I’ve gotten responses about how to properly run a game store including customer service, game/demo space, employees hired, etc. Not what I asked for, and pretty much all I already know from owning my own store previously. But it seems to show that product selection kind of takes a back seat to a well run game store. It’s cool to know!

Please keep the valuable input coming. :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Dragon Snack said:
Ditto to everything except this. Do NOT count on being able to "get it within a week" from your distributor if it turns out to be a really hot item (and sometimes normal items). Also don't count on your customer coming back if you have to order it. They can order it online just as easy as you can order it from your distributor, if they want it now you better have it now - especially if you are a new store and don't have a loyal customer base willing to wait.

Good points, all. As a consumer, nothing irritates me more than a game store that doesn't stock multiple copies of core books for popular game lines. The rule should be "Always stock two!" as nothing is nearly as galling as being able to buy every supplement for a popular game line but not the core book, because it is perpetually "on order".

scourger

Explorer
Here are some specific things I have purchased (or wanted to see) at my FLGS(s) recently:

Knights of the Dinner Table. I don't think you can go wrong stocking any of these comics from KenzerCo.

Savage Worlds, especially the new Explorer's edition. Again, almost anything you can get from Pinnacle Entertainment Group should sell.

D&D minis.

Z-Man Games card games, especially the B movie ones.

Reaper minis, especially the new & new prepainted ones.

Rifts Machinations of Doom. This is a great combo graphic novel and sourcebook. Very cool.

D&D Fantastic Locations.

Glyfair

Explorer
Until a store is established it's tough to get the right mix. The customer base will determine what sells at the store, with a bit of mix of the store managers' tastes (it's always good to experiment a little to try to interest your regular customers in new things). Before that the distributor can give you the best idea of what is selling well (often in your general area).

I recommend not going overboard on anything until the customer base is established. Be slightly cautious. Make sure the store can and will make special orders with a short turn around time. I know if I make a special order at either of the FLGS in the area during the week I can have it within 2 days, if the distributor has it (weekends obviously have more of a delay).

That being said, special orders are not a substitute for having something in stock you should have. For example, when 4E is released any FLGS that deals in D&D should either have PHBs in stock, or should be waiting for replenishments they have already ordered. If a customer comes in to get it and it's out-of-stock, as often as not they will get it elsewhere. The more niche the product (within our niche market), the more the customer will be willing to wait a day or two.

ssampier

First Post
know thy customer

I can't stress this enough. The hobby industry thrives on repeat business by a small (but hopefully steady) clientèle. You should know all your good customers names and buying preferences. Keep a stock of 3x5 cards near the counter to remind you if you have to.

If you choose the cards, I'd secretly make a tick mark when these customers make a large purchase. If they get enough ticks, you can decide to give them free merchandise (such as dice or a pack of CCG cards) or a discount on their next visit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads