D&D 4E New gamemaster to 4e

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Just re-cast the monk as Martial and fiddle a bit with the 'weapon instead of Ki Focus' implication of that (hint: getting rid of ki focus is a LOT simpler, though you need inherent bonus to then make unarmed combat really competitive).

Living Weapon class feature

The monk as it was written is pretty cool and seems to be arbitrarily psionic.

tuxedoraptor

First Post
Its goodman games fang fist and song. I quite like the work they did and it also provides a different barbarian, a defender rather than a striker. I do like the flavor behind their scythe and shroud more though. It provides a more classic 4e assassin, as well as a necromancer, an alternate paladin and a strange class that cannot be described easily

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Its goodman games fang fist and song. I quite like the work they did and it also provides a different barbarian, a defender rather than a striker. I do like the flavor behind their scythe and shroud more though. It provides a more classic 4e assassin, as well as a necromancer, an alternate paladin and a strange class that cannot be described easily

I have heard good things about Goodman.

I have heard good things about Goodman.

In general, though their early 4e stuff suffered from the same issues as WotC's in some measure. Then they did a couple character supplements, and discovered NOBODY wanted to use anything that wasn't in CB and that kind of ended their 4e involvement. Actually, Googling their catalog I see that they DID put out a LOT of titles, but honestly few of them seemed to get much attention. My guess is there's a bunch of fun stuff in there, and you can get them really cheap now, but I don't know much.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In general, though their early 4e stuff suffered from the same issues as WotC's in some measure. Then they did a couple character supplements, and discovered NOBODY wanted to use anything that wasn't in CB and that kind of ended their 4e involvement.
I have to admit being able to add custom things in to character builder makes me more inclined to use anything custom.

I have to admit being able to add custom things in to character builder makes me more inclined to use anything custom.

TBH I think this was THE main issue with 4e. WotC simply did not factor in, at least properly, the negative effects that a closed DDI would have on the wider D&D community. In the old days when TSR squashed most attempts to write any material for D&D it was a smaller world. There were a lot less people out there able to write and publish their own games and material, so they largely remained the king of the RPG hill. With the advent of the OGL/SRD, and d20, things changed. The current ease with which you can write a game or a supplement is vastly different from the 80's and 90's. I think they miscalculated the extent to which 3PP would be locked out and just how much that would hurt the growth of a larger community around 4e.

Notice how there's nothing like DDI for 5e. I mean, now, finally, after more than 4 years, they've released a product. I haven't really looked at it, but it sounds to me like you can load up outside content into it easily. This has been a big plus for the whole 5e community, players were forced to use paper and pencil to build characters (or 3rd party products) but it allowed a lot of outside content flourish. WotC is still the main publisher of D&D 'stuff', but now they're maybe 2/3 of a 2 or 3x bigger market.

Its clear that Goodman and a few other 3PPs really wanted to be there for 4e, and they really tried hard. WotC either failed in its plan to make an extensible CB/Compendium/MB, or failed to understand how bad a closed one would be for the game. They got kinda screwed in the process.

tuxedoraptor

First Post
can someone please look at the modifications I made to the cleric class to make sure I didn't accidentally break everything? We are switching our bard to a human cleric of pelor, but I modified some of the class features so battle cleric's lore is not as awesome.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
can someone please look at the modifications I made to the cleric class to make sure I didn't accidentally break everything? We are switching our bard to a human cleric of pelor, but I modified some of the class features so battle cleric's lore is not as awesome.

have you posted it?

tuxedoraptor

First Post
Healing lore:
You gain a +2/4/6 shield bonus to AC and standard healers lore ability

Divine fortune:
encounter,divine
range:5
Trigger: An ally fails a death saving throw, saving throw or is reduced to zero hit points.

Effect: reroll the failed death saving throw, saving throw or damage roll, taking the second one even if it's worse

Special: You may additionally expend this power to reroll any hitpoints regained by a power with the healing keyword.

Battle clerics lore does not grant the +2 shield bonus to AC.

I also made ardent vow scale with level, going 5/10/15 per tier. I haven't tested it yet but the cleric should be tested soon.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
can someone please look at the modifications I made to the cleric class to make sure I didn't accidentally break everything... I modified some of the class features so battle cleric's lore is not as awesome.
Battle Cleric's Lore was one of Mearl's may little late revisions to the game to make it less-balanced/really-D&D. You can't really go wrong nerfing or ignoring it.

Remove ads