• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New General Feat: Additional Favoured Class

NEW GENERAL FEAT: ADDITIONAL FAVOURED CLASS

You are more able than most to keep up with more than one profession.

Benefit: You may choose one class to be an additional favoured class for you. You don't count levels in that class for the purposes of calculating XP penalties for multiclassing. You must choose an actual core character class for this feat (i.e. you cannot choose "any").

Note: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time it adds another additional favoured class, which doesn't count towards calculating multiclassing XP penalties.

Example Bimpnotten Breakthing is a gnome druid/illusionist level 3/1. In order to qualify for a particular home brew prestige class, she needs to take at least one level in rogue. To avoid taking a multiclassing penalty for the greater than two levels difference between her druid and rogue levels (illusionist levels don't count because illusionist is the gnome favoured class), she takes the feat Additional Favoured Class (Rogue). Now she discounts both her rogue and her illusionist levels when calculating her multiclassing XP penalty.

Last edited:

Duganson

First Post
Forgotten realms book has one like this but it applies to Wizard class only. I think your feat is just as balanced though. by the way, cool name!

Thysl in Silver

Crothian

First Post
Are people multi classing that much that this is really needed? I've yet to even see a character at our gaming table in the past year and a half that has an xp penalty because of multi classing. Personally, I think it's to strong as a feat, though.

las said:
Make it so they haft to take it at first level.

That sort of defeats the purpose - allowing a character to grow and evolve, without the multiclassing XP penalties getting in the way.

Very many campaigns house rule the multiclassing XP penalties out of existence. I think it's a rule of marginal utility. However, one of the principles behind the concept of feats is that they can give you an "out" from inconvenient rules, at the expense of "wasting" a feat.

Last edited:

~Joseph~

First Post
what are the prerequisites to taking the feat? something like, must multiclass maybe, or non-human olny, or something like that. At the very least makethem have high int or wis, a person who is so diverse needs to be smart to keep up with all the things he does

No prerequisites

~Joseph~ said:
what are the prerequisites to taking the feat? something like, must multiclass maybe, or non-human olny, or something like that. At the very least makethem have high int or wis, a person who is so diverse needs to be smart to keep up with all the things he does

No pre-requisites. The balancing factor is that you have to "waste" a feat to do it.

The whole concept is to allow greater flexibiity to players to develop their own character concepts.

Putting limits on ability scores or race defeats the purpsoe - but what if I want to play a *dumb* human fighter/barbarian/ranger/rogue/bard? (actually that sounds like Fritz Lieer's Fafherd).

Names

Thysl said:
Both of them!!:D

Atticus_of_Amber was the name of a character I ran in a very short lived Amber Diceless RPG campaign. He was the illegitimate son of Bleys and Jasra (yes Bleys and Jasra, you heard that right). He'd been abandoned in shadow as a teenager - he was an embarrassment to his mother given her new relationship with Brand (Bleys' brother). He was supposed to die or live in obscurity. Instead he just got very dark and angry. Serious "Bad Stuff" character. No major powers, just socrecry, power words, etc. Consequently, he had more than enough points to win the attribute auction in Psyche and Warfare and come second in Endurance and third in Strength. All that ability with very few powers was very frustrating to play, but that was the idea, Atticus was a very frustrated guy. He called himself Atticus of Amber as a cynical joke - Amber refused to recognise him as a relative. He had a chip on his shoulder the size of Mount Kolvir.

Bimpnotten Breakthing is one of the characters in the 3e campaign I run, "The Forsaken Realms". She's currently a CN druid2/illusionist1, aiming for a homebrew "Faerie Guardian" prestige class I'm designing for her. She's the daughter of tinker gnomes from Lantan. Early on she heard the call of nature and, contrary to her parents wishes, became a druid. While she was never that good with mechanical devices - hence the nickname "Breakthing" - she still has a tinker gnome's fascination for them. One of her catch cries is "But I want to know how it works!". Think of a petulant, precocious twelve year old girl with the ability to cast Colour Spray and Entangle... <shudders>

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads