• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Gothic D&D Storyline To Be Announced On Monday

I've heard from various sources that WotC will be announcing the new storyline on Monday. They've apparently seeded various promotional images to several websites. I don't know any more than that, but if I hear anything, I'll let you know. The below image was apparently sent to The Escapist. Make of it what you will! Looks to me like vampires and ... Ravenloft? (Though if it's not set in the Forgotten Realms, that'd be uncharacteristic.)

I've heard from various sources that WotC will be announcing the new storyline on Monday. They've apparently seeded various promotional images to several websites. I don't know any more than that, but if I hear anything, I'll let you know. The below image was apparently sent to The Escapist. Make of it what you will! Looks to me like vampires and ... Ravenloft? (Though if it's not set in the Forgotten Realms, that'd be uncharacteristic.)

image.jpeg

And Geek & Sundry was sent this piece:

image.jpeg

Just remember everyone--they have an incredibly adept skill at making sure everything somehow fits into the Forgotten Realms.

While this adventure will likely be excellent, I would advise that no on get their hopes up that it will actually be set in Ravenloft, rather than just inspired by the feel of it.

It quite possibly could be, but it would be a departure from the marketing strategy so far, and we have been told not too long ago that everything they were working on in "the foreseeable future" was Forgotten Realms. We were also told that they are working on (foreseeing?) things through at least 2017, (last I heard).

Again, if you're like me, assume it's just going to be an inspired by Ravenloft theme. Then, if it does end up being a Masque or a full on adventure through the Mists, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

CapnZapp

Legend
After all, Drizzt was supposed to be in Out of the Abyss, but it was only Bruneor Battlehammer who showed up in that AP.
No, he was supposed to be in the storyline, which he was.

Storyline (Rage of Demons) != pen and paper adventure Out of the Abyss

Storyline = rpg scenario + novels + video game + coffee mugs etc all sharing a theme

Edit: like Spectacle said

Last edited by a moderator:

CapnZapp

Legend
Just remember everyone--they have an incredibly adept skill at making sure everything somehow fits into the Forgotten Realms.

While this adventure will likely be excellent, I would advise that no on get their hopes up that it will actually be set in Ravenloft, rather than just inspired by the feel of it.

It quite possibly could be, but it would be a departure from the marketing strategy so far, and we have been told not too long ago that everything they were working on in "the foreseeable future" was Forgotten Realms. We were also told that they are working on (foreseeing?) things through at least 2017, (last I heard).

Again, if you're like me, assume it's just going to be an inspired by Ravenloft theme. Then, if it does end up being a Masque or a full on adventure through the Mists, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I see no reason for this pessimism.

Isn't the core idea of Ravenloft that "You enter a strange mist and find yourself in different lands"?

This should make any connection to Forgotten Realms tenous and easily replacable.

Think of it this way, why would they set a gothic adventure in, say, Waterdeep? Or a small village that just so happens to have a heavy dose of specific Realmslore?

Take Lost Mines of Phandelver, for instance. That's about as specific to the Realms as I expect this to be. Which is to say "not much" and certainly not reason to be Debbie Downer.

It means a series of D&D related products with a common theme, including an adventure path book and AL modules, and possibly board games, videogames and more.

Thank you! ...Well, so, let's see how good current WotC staff writers are with Gothic themes. Certainly makes 5e worth a second look for me. :)

TrickyUK

Explorer
Hasn't there been a Realms/Ravenloft crossover before? I'm sure that they could come up with something fairly easy. Town x in Realms is suddenly shrouded in mist. The PCs need to go an investigate. Maybe the mists and the Dark Lords are trying to expand their influence and take over the realms, or just create a permanent link to the Domains of Dread.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Ravenloft is now a part of the Shadowfel iirc, which now (along with the Feywild) exists across all material planes as a dark reflection... so it wouldn't be too difficult to make a Ravenloft campaign Realm's based at least as a starting point. The Mists can take you from anywhere in the multiverse.

Hasn't there been a Realms/Ravenloft crossover before? I'm sure that they could come up with something fairly easy. Town x in Realms is suddenly shrouded in mist. The PCs need to go an investigate. Maybe the mists and the Dark Lords are trying to expand their influence and take over the realms, or just create a permanent link to the Domains of Dread.

There has been a direct crossover before.

Castle Spulzeer is part 1 and happens in Forgotten Realms: http://www.amazon.com/Spulzeer-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Forgotten-Ravenloft/dp/0786906693
The Forgotten Terror is part 2 happenes in Ravenloft: http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Ter..._UL160_SR121,160_&refRID=1E3RTW829T7VZKDDSAP7

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads