Gate Pass Gazette New GPG Annual 2023

evildmguy

Explorer
I see this is going to be coming soon.

From last years, I know you want to do it fast and have it at the end of the kickstart period. I got last years and while I'm glad to have supported it, the format turned me off. It's so poorly organized that I have barely looked at it over the year. So, for the new one, is it going to be the same format or will it be organized better?

I would gladly pay for a KS to redo the 2022 Annual if it meant redoing it so that all of the articles were organized and sorted in the same order as the books. AG stuff first, then TT, then MM.

Thanks!

Selganor

Adventurer
You know that this would not only require a complete rearrangement of almost every article but in the case of articles that include multiple different things to also rewrite (to reorganize) the articles, too.
For example: GPGA#1 p.88-91 Mount Jino has: 2 Exploration Challenges, 3 Monster Variants and 2 NPCs.
Where should the content for Mount Jino "organized and sorted in the same order as the books" go?

But I wouldn't mind a clickable index for the pdf version. This way if I am looking for something specific (that's not on A5E.tools - or if I'm offline) I can just get to that instead of having to find the page.
Yes, I know... first world problems ;)

evildmguy

Explorer
Yes, I do know it would require a complete reorganization.

Yes I would want the Mount Jino article to go to Exploration Challenges, Monsters, and NPCs.

Is it a lot? Yes. Is it realistic? No. I'm merely sharing my wishlist. I won't get it without asking. I also was underwhelmed by just "stitching" all the magazines together, with no linking and no index.

evildmguy

Explorer
The GPG contain a wealth of information. If it's not usable, though, it's not valuable. If I have 12 issues of a magazine, physical or PDF, I can have each one open to the thing I want to compare and switch between them. It's easier to compare and contrast something, e.g. feats or spells. If it's all in one book, I have to bounce back and forth between them. My current PDF viewer doesn't have a back, so it would be go to index, click on feat. Go to index, click on second feat. Want to see first feat, didn't write down the page, back to index for first feat. Yes, FWP and all that. I'm not arguing that.

I merely find that stitching the magazines together is less useful for me for that reason.

Can there be something extra? Linked tables that list feats, spells, items, in one place? Summarized tables of things in the gazetteer? Something extra? That's all I'm wondering.

Thanks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yea, there’s an index separated by content type at the back-archetypes, spells, monsters, etc.

We can’t split up the main book into content types as that would require butchering the articles. The articles aren’t all just an archetypes article and a spells article and an exploration challenges article… most of them are themed, illustrated mixes of content with a contextual narrative. There’s no way to pull those apart without destroying the context completely. There’s just no good way to do that.

Selganor

Adventurer
The GPG contain a wealth of information. If it's not usable, though, it's not valuable. If I have 12 issues of a magazine, physical or PDF, I can have each one open to the thing I want to compare and switch between them. It's easier to compare and contrast something, e.g. feats or spells. If it's all in one book, I have to bounce back and forth between them. My current PDF viewer doesn't have a back, so it would be go to index, click on feat. Go to index, click on second feat. Want to see first feat, didn't write down the page, back to index for first feat. Yes, FWP and all that. I'm not arguing that.
Have you tried using a different PDF viewer?

Also, none of the PDFs I got from DTRPG restrict me from copy/paste, so instead of writing down pages, why not just copy/paste those parts you need (or think you need) into one document and then go with that?
Can there be something extra? Linked tables that list feats, spells, items, in one place? Summarized tables of things in the gazetteer? Something extra? That's all I'm wondering.
If it just the info (no layout or pictures needed), the list at https://a5e.tools/rules/gate-pass-gazette already has GPG up to 19 (September 2023) and lists all the stuff from all issues, so even if the Antiquarian wizard archetype isn't online at a5e.tools I can already see it is in GPG 22.

The "Character" register at the tools site also has lists of archetypes (by class), backgrounds, ... including all ENPublishing sources already on the tools site complete with the link to the entry.

Does that help in any way?

evildmguy

Explorer
Have you tried using a different PDF viewer?

Also, none of the PDFs I got from DTRPG restrict me from copy/paste, so instead of writing down pages, why not just copy/paste those parts you need (or think you need) into one document and then go with that?

If it just the info (no layout or pictures needed), the list at https://a5e.tools/rules/gate-pass-gazette already has GPG up to 19 (September 2023) and lists all the stuff from all issues, so even if the Antiquarian wizard archetype isn't online at a5e.tools I can already see it is in GPG 22.

The "Character" register at the tools site also has lists of archetypes (by class), backgrounds, ... including all ENPublishing sources already on the tools site complete with the link to the entry.

Does that help in any way?
I appreciate you talking about this. This in no way makes me like LU less. I think it is far superior to 5E. It's not perfect for me but no game will be. I tinker with all games I play.

The whole point I'm making is I want them to do the copy/paste into one document, organized by topic, for this to have more value to me. I understand they can't for reasons. I'm merely explaining what would give it more value to me.

I appreciate their online tools and do need to use them more.

Thanks for the response!

Remove ads