• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New info on the Iron Kingdoms Campaign Guides

Blue_Genie

First Post
Just wanted folks here on the EN World boards to know that there has been an update on the Privateer Press boards from founder Matt Wilson. Because of exponential growth in the size of the long-long-long-awaited Iron Kingdoms Campaign Guide, the book will be split into two volumes, each 300+ pages long.

Volume 1 is tentatively called the "Character Guide" and will include mostly crunchy bits on new base classes, prestige classes, magic items, new spells and aything else which relates to the d20 system. It's been stated that this volume is already 99% written and is in the editing stage.

Volume 2, currently named the "World Guide" will contain predominantly fluff on the campaign setting, including tons on countries, races, history, religion, you name it.

Here's the bad news. Projected release date for the "Character Guide" is April 2004, with the "World Guide" following 60 days afterwards. This has come as a dissapointment to some fans (including this one) as we've been waiting for a long time, and the folks at PP had said a few months ago that the IKCG would be out by Xmas. *sigh*

On the other hand, fans of the setting will now get close to 700 pages worth of material, instead of 300-350! Now that's something worth waiting for.

For the complete scoop, you can check out the Privateer Press boards.

Blue_Genie

*edit: slight update of release date*

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Moved over to d20 Publishers, where the buffalo roam, and the Deer and the Antelope play. And because it's a sort of a press release.

And glad to hear the status of this! Thanks!

Last edited:

PowerWordDumb

First Post
Holy ****! Two 300-page books? How will I ever stop salivating now that I no longer have Fallout 3 to distract me from my IKCS lust?

As far as April 2004 goes... It could be worse. At least (hopefully) this is finally a firm date, and if both books appear that month, I will be quite pleased to pick them both up.

Go Privateer Press!

Tewligan

First Post
PowerWordDumb said:
As far as April 2004 goes... It could be worse. At least (hopefully) this is finally a firm date, and if both books appear that month, I will be quite pleased to pick them both up.
Yeah...well, that goes in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category. I'd certainly like to see these books, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for them anymore.

PowerWordDumb

First Post
Tewligan said:
Yeah...well, that goes in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category. I'd certainly like to see these books, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for them anymore.

Too true, too true. But, as cynical as I am about many things, the IKCS is one that leaves by in a giddily optimistic frame of mind. :)

True, but they say the writing, art, and editing are all done; if all they've got left is final layout (as they say) then there's no reason to think that they can't get them out by then.

darkbard

Legend
minor correction, joshua. they say writing, etc. is 99% complete for the character guide which they plan [i too will believe it when i see it] for an april release. there is still another 2 months [which by PP standards is probably six to eight months] more writing to be done on the world guide, which they plan to release 2 months after the character guide.

in other words, we won't be seeing the campaign setting material until the middle of 2004, at the very earliest.

i love the stuff they put out, but i am frustrated almost-beyond-words at the debacle the campaign setting release has become!

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Henry said:
Moved over to d20 Publishers, where the buffalo roam, and the Deer and the Antelope play

Thanks for the laugh Henry. :D

As far as I asumed, I thought most people ar Privateer Press do this in their free time after work, not full time. Anyhoo, based on the quality of the minis, and the setting outline that's been shown so far, I'd rather it be a labour of love and REALLY late, than be spewn out due to a deadline like other products.

Remove ads