• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E New Information on 4E Classes from Races & Classes Book

FadedC

First Post
mmu1 said:
No, my suggestion was that the Warlord would have a generic pool of immediate actions, and would then choose how to apply it and what kind of immediate action to grant to the party. (extra ranged attacks, extra melee attacks, extra movement, set up a flank, stand up from prone, whatever)

That way, you don't have a situation where you (assuming other such abilities even exist, but I'd be surprised if "Feather me yon..." was the only ability like this - that'd be really goofy) use up your per encounter allotment of "Everyone, charge!" but can still use "Everyone, shoot that guy!".

Well perhaps it's not just about inspiration but also about finding proper tactical openings. Maybe the warlord doesn't see a good opportunity in the fight where the enemy isn't paying attention and is vulnerable to another "everybody charge" ability. Or perhaps after you have used it once the enemy is wary and trying to use it again would have disasterous consequences. It might be quite reasonable then to not be able to call another charge but to be instead need to resort to a plan B.

Lord Zack

Explorer
FadedC said:
Well I think they are moving away from the cleric as the multipurpose bag of tricks that has the potential to fight as well as a fighter. If you want to be a divine striker, controller or defender then that should be a completely seperate class, rather then attempting to balance all of these roles in a single class. As somebody else already said the paladin is a perfectly good option for the martial cleric type, and no longer comes with all of the old paladin baggage.

Well for a defender cleric I'm thinking more like a Swordmage than a Paladin. They'd use spells more than weapons. Maybe they could use something like fire shield on they're allies. I'd be fine if they were different classes, but not different to the point that a cleric is to a paladin. But I don't think there'd be balance problem if they were just one class. If you split you're focus you'd be less powerful than someone who focused only on one role, and you can only use one role at any particular point in time.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Bishmon said:
Random thoughts:
Barbarian - I'm disappointed and thrilled. With the barbarian being more feral, I don't really see myself wanting to play one. And the barbarians in the wildneress communities in my campaigns will probably become fighters and rangers who like to yell a lot.

Personally, I am quite happy to hear that the Barbarian class will still exist rather than being rolled up into Fighter as many on these forums suggested might happen.

END COMMUNICATION

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Lord Zardoz said:
Personally, I am quite happy to hear that the Barbarian class will still exist rather than being rolled up into Fighter as many on these forums suggested might happen.

END COMMUNICATION
As long as it comes in with the Villager and City-Dweller classes, I'm okay with it.

Though I guess if they want to simplify they could just use the Barbarian's counterpoint, the Citizen.

Where you were born still isn't material for a class.

Simia Saturnalia said:
As long as it comes in with the Villager and City-Dweller classes, I'm okay with it.

Though I guess if they want to simplify they could just use the Barbarian's counterpoint, the Citizen.

Where you were born still isn't material for a class.
Call it a berserker and be done with it.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Agamon said:
The Swashbuckler in CAd wasn't a viable swashbuckler? I wouldn't know, never really saw one in play....

Fell down a bit in the "effective in combat" sense. Nice group of skills, but needed better abilities and combat damage.

Cheers!

Rechan

Adventurer
Lord Zack said:
Well for a defender cleric I'm thinking more like a Swordmage than a Paladin. They'd use spells more than weapons.
Except that the swordmage uses magic to make him fight better. So he's using his weapon, but he's got spells that give him a higher AC or a flaming sword or he can teleport behind an enemy, etc.

Lord Zack

Explorer
Rechan said:
Except that the swordmage uses magic to make him fight better. So he's using his weapon, but he's got spells that give him a higher AC or a flaming sword or he can teleport behind an enemy, etc.

I didn't say they wouldn't use weapons, but they'd use weapons more than spells. The swordmage also uses spells to protect his allies like teleporting an ally out of harms way.

I'd imagine the swordmage would be big on spells like the equivalents of Shield, Mage Armor, Fire Shield, Stoneskin, Globe of Invulnerability, Haste, Enlarge and the like. Except that maybe those spells are now constant effects, and you can only choose to have a limited number of them active simultaneously. And attack powers like the Arcane strike feat, and channeling touch spells.

Remove ads