New item, Break of Dawn PC's please stay out.

B4cchus

Explorer
-edited. changed the slot to ring, added some clearifications.

I have a new magical item i want to make available for the PC's in my adventure Break of Dawn:

Circles of Bonding
These two golden cords are both tied into a loop. They can be used if two persons wear one of them around his or her finger (taking up a ring slot).

Once per day as an immediate action (any) one of the two wearers can elect to take the damage from a single attack or spell effect (in such case the damage suffered for the duration of a single round from a single effect) instead of the wearer of the other cord. This damage changes to untyped damage and bypasses all forms of resistance or damage reduction.

The character who elects to take the damage instead of the other person must be aware of the damage being dealt and have a direct line of sight with the other person.
The decision to transfer the damage may be made after the exact amount of damage is known but must be made in the same initiative turn as it is made as an immediate action.

Once one of the wearers of the ring activate it and thus takes damage instead of the other person, the rings cannot be activated again that day.

A ring of a pair only works with one other ring, being the one created in the same pair. Another ring or set cannot be added to the effect of a single pair.

faint abjuration; CL 5; craft ring; shield other; 2500 gp.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Do you plan to gives that item after teh adventure. I think there is no problem to hand a not SRD item during an adventure if it is taken back by the DM at the end.

For the item seems fine. Just wondering, why you haev chosen to be some kind of collars, and not simply rings, as it is rings that is used as focus for shield others.

orsal

LEW Judge
Sounds reasonable to me, at least in principle. I'm still thinking about the price, and if I decide that's appropriate for such an item I'll give my approval.

B4cchus

Explorer
Rings would indeed seem more suitable (also in the ontext in which i plan to give them).
The players don't have to give them back after the adventure, which is why i posted the approval.
Regarding price: i'm not 100% sure. I aimed for an item which uses shield other once per day and rounded it up to 2500 since it is a bit different.
A once per day shield other item costs: 2000(use activated) x 2 (spell level) *3 (caster level) / 5= 2400.

Velmont

First Post
Just a note, it's a bit stronger than Shield Other, as it transfer 100% of teh damage of one attack, not 50%. But it is a bit more limited by teh fact it can be use for only 1 attack. 2500gp seems fine to me.

Erekose13

Explorer
The immediate action makes it quite useful, but given that it is only once per day I think the price is appropriate. Does the person using the item to transfer damage have to be aware of the damage? Is the choice made prior to knowing what damage is being dealt?

B4cchus

Explorer
Good point. I would say it should be made after a hit/spell hits but before damage is declared.
Since that is highly impractical (all DM's announce hits and damage in the same post) i think that, for practicality's sake, the decision be made after the hit/spell and damage are announced but before any other actions occur.

Remove ads